Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2010, 19:32   #101  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

I found these links :

www.mpegla.com
and
www.ffmpeg.org

There a lot of interested informations !

MatLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 19:34   #102  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Yes, and the moderator rules specifically say that what he did was against the rules -- and that what I did wasn't.
In all fairness - that quote is from the latest revision of the moderator rules.. they were created after the fact. Prior to that, there were only informal rules and nothing about vested interests in software.

And MatLz is right, we really need to get back to topic.
I think it has been fairly well established that a source code only distribution is in no violation of any licensing contract. So ffmpeg is okay, x264 is okay and we could go on. We're also not the MPEGLA's enforcing arm.. so if you distribute binaries on your own, you're responsable for your own actions.

What I'm unsure about though is... say you distribute binaries.. noncommercially and in small numbers. Do you need to register with the MPEGLA even if the number if binaries you provide falls under the treshold? And if so, how do both parties ensure that the number of distributed binaries remains under that treshold over the years?

Last edited by Doom9; 5th September 2010 at 19:36.
Doom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 19:37   #103  |  Link

Yes, you must have a license from MPEGLA. As a licensee you are required to report at least annually. The license contains a clause giving MPEGLA the right to conduct an audit of your compliance, at your site if they so desire.

BTW, my signed license was submitted last week.

Last edited by Guest; 5th September 2010 at 19:40.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 19:39   #104  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9 View Post
What I'm unsure about though is... say you distribute binaries.. noncommercially and in small numbers. Do you need to register with the MPEGLA even if the number if binaries you provide falls under the treshold? And if so, how do both parties ensure that the number of distributed binaries remains under that treshold over the years?
regarding this topic, ill move the megui update server from us to somewhere else. i've already talked with some ppl and i will soon contact richard berg about the megui.org domain.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 19:42   #105  |  Link

Is it possible to host some DGMPGDec binaries there also?
Old 5th September 2010, 19:45   #106  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

sure, no problem. just give me an estimate of dgmpgdec monthly web traffic on your domain.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:50   #107  |  Link

Now I'm thinking it's available already bundled with MEGUI, so that should be sufficient.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:52   #108  |  Link
mariush

I would have offered to help you out with hosting (as I already help Mulder with updates for his apps) but I'll probably move my dedicated servers to US soon and I doubt you'd be interested then... I'd suggest you get megui.net while it's available just to be on the safe side... if you're interested but don't have funds i could get it for you and transfer it later on.

later edit: Sharktooh, I was just thinking about the whole ordeal with koepi.org which was lost and is not just a placeholder with ads, koepi.info being the proper site now. For me at least, koepi was the "reference" place to download xvid binaries...

Last edited by mariush; 5th September 2010 at 20:22.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 20:00   #109  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Now I'm thinking it's available already bundled with MEGUI, so that should be sufficient.
yes, unless newer versions...

@mariush: i dont really care about the domain. for example megui.org is not mine... however, if you want to register it i wont say no.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 5th September 2010 at 20:02.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:03   #110  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
yes, unless newer versions...
Presumably you would absorb them in a timely fashion if I notify you of them. New versions of DGMPGDec are infrequent nowadays.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:05   #111  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

seems reasonable
Old 5th September 2010, 20:50   #112  |  Link
kieranrk

You may be interested to hear that MPEG-LA will also ask you to list your distribution of H.264 decoders in the past (and pay fees if necessary) as part of your agreement. I assume you will declare the correct number of downloads for DGAVCDec.
kieranrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 21:14   #113  |  Link
hank315
HCenc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranrk
You may be interested to hear that MPEG-LA will also ask you to list your distribution of H.264 decoders in the past (and pay fees if necessary) as part of your agreement.
How do you know that?
Old 5th September 2010, 23:38   #114  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

Quote:
Members are free to review the original thread to see that you misrepresent reality.
Well, that depends on who controls reality, doesn't it?

Quote:
I never posted "anyone who discusses X will be struck". This is a plain and simple fabrication.
With all due respect, with the extensive use of moderator power being employed here, how could anyone know what you did or didn't post?
linyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 23:50   #115  |  Link

I didn't post that. Are you calling me a liar?
Old 6th September 2010, 00:03   #116  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

Quote:
I am simply saying you like to change history quite frequently, and subsequently it is impossible to tell what was or wasn't said. I am not calling you a liar. I am; however, saying you overuse your moderator power in the deletion and editing of threads and posts.
linyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:08   #117  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
That is incorrect. I instructed that the discussion be moved to a new thread, and this very thread is the result! I did not ban any discussion. Members are free to review the original thread to see that you misrepresent reality.
And then you struck multiple people for starting new threads anyways. Don't try to lie your way out of this one; I have list of people who did exactly what you told them to do, and nevertheless you struck them anyways and deleted their threads.

This thread is the result after you got bored of striking people.
Quote:
You said specifically that any post on the topic in that thread would be deleted -- using your moderator powers to keep negative posts out of a thread about your commercial software. Deletion of posts was, in all cases, followed up with a strike. Again, don't try to lie your way out of this one. We saved all your posts.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 6th September 2010 at 00:11.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:09   #118  |  Link

@linyx

You're welcome to your opinions, but in this specific case, put up or shut up. If I ask Doom9 to review the edits on that thread and he states that I never posted what DS claimed I did and which you questioned, will you apologize for casting doubt on my credibility in this case?
Old 6th September 2010, 00:11   #119  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
And then you struck multiple people for starting new threads anyways.
That is not correct. They were struck for insults and rule 3/17 violations.

Quote:
This thread is the result after you got bored of striking people.
That is not correct. The strikes to other people were issued after this thread was created.
Old 6th September 2010, 00:13   #120  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
That is not correct. The strikes to other people were issued after this thread was created.
That is a lie. I have logs on IRC of people posting threads specifically about the relevant topic. They then said you deleted their posts and struck them. Roughly 3-5 people tried this. All had their threads deleted and struck. None posted insults. All attempted civil discussion of the topic.
Quote:
That is not correct. They were struck for insults and rule 3/17 violations.
We all know that you strike people for whatever you want, regardless of what they actually did. What you "struck people for" is a meaningless formality.

"Discussion of something related to neuron2" == "discussion of moderation" == "you can ban us whenever you want".
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
I wonder sir, here you are, with conflicting statements, in the very same posting(s).
Note how I am not posting outside this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
If you want to "fix Doom9" why don't you carry on a PM with Doom9, rather than continue this very ugly public feuding?
I already did. If he wants to stop neuron2, he can do so right now with no debate. If he doesn't, that's his fault, not mine.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 6th September 2010 at 00:20.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neuron2 qed