Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 27th March 2003, 14:53   #201  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Here is my code from some transparent subs I did just last night. I'll try to explain it. The code below is my .smil file.

Code:
<smil xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/Language" xmlns:rn="http://features.real.com/2001/SMIL20/Extensions">
<head>
<layout>
<root-layout width="846" height="480"/>
<region id="video_region" z-index="1"/>
<region id="text_region" top="375" z-index="2"/>
</layout>
</head>
<body>
<par>
<video src="akira.rmvb" region="video_region" fill="remove"/>
<textstream src="akira.rt" region="text_region" rn:backgroundOpacity="0%" fill="freeze"/>
</par>
</body>
</smil>
The first line is manditory; It has to be in the file or transparency won't work. The <root-layout> part defines the viewing window. Set it to your movies dimentions. The next important part is the top="". To calculate the number to put in the quotes subtract the height of your subtitles (get this from the .rt file) from the height of the movie and then subtract 20, 25, or 30 from that number (depending how far up from the bottom of movie you want to raise the subs). Now insert the rn:backgroundOpacity="0%" line into your <textstream> tag.

Your subs should be transparent now.

Last edited by 31 Flavas; 27th March 2003 at 14:56.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2003, 00:11   #202  |  Link
Dark-Cracker

@valky
transparency subtitle have been add in autorv9 v1.3 beta1 (not already released).

@sirber
rmeditor doesn't split on a keyframe but i have fouund the .rmvb structure and i detect the frame type and i calculate the time to split the file.

i have made some tests and the split seems correct.

if u want to made some tests try to split a sample movie (the split size can be added manually). and use 2 audio streams and the audio streams will be encoded separately (and all the frame in audio are considerly like some keyframes) and if all it correct the .smil file will read without desynch the files.

++

AutoDub v1.8 : Divx3/4/5 & Xvid Video codec and .OGG/.MP3/.AC3/.WMA audio codec.
AutoRV10 v1.0 : Use RealVideo 10 Codec and support 2 Audio Streams and Subtitles.

Dark-Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2003, 01:04   #203  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

@DarkCracker

From now you are my God.
Old 29th March 2003, 22:11   #204  |  Link
Valky

I just wanted to say, that I have had major problems with my 'Robin of Sherwood' -serie, which I ordered from England.
This 80's tv-serie dvd-set is very noisy and I have had difficulties with so many different avs-scripts I have tried. Noise has been relatively easy to reduce, but I have had really bad blocking issues with scenes where there is lots of fire on the screen or at fast-action scenes where men run in a very thick forest.

My allowed bitrate is around 900kbit/s since my aim is to put two 50min episodes on one 700mb CD.

Now I decided to try RealMedia-codec and for my big surprise all those nasty blocks on those scenes were gone!! I mean totally gone!!

They were there with both xvid and divx codec. Thank you so much!

This was just what I needed
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2003, 04:44   #205  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Glad to ear that! Long life to Real!!!
Old 30th March 2003, 16:24   #206  |  Link
Dark-Cracker

hi,

@karl
could u perhaps give theses request feature at the millestone developpers :

- max value for latency around 60 sec instead of 25 sec
- possibility to add switch to :
-p - set/clear perfect play mode
-b - set/clear mobile playback mode
-r - set/clear selective record

Bye.

AutoDub v1.8 : Divx3/4/5 & Xvid Video codec and .OGG/.MP3/.AC3/.WMA audio codec.
AutoRV10 v1.0 : Use RealVideo 10 Codec and support 2 Audio Streams and Subtitles.

Dark-Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2003, 18:38   #207  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark-Cracker
rmeditor doesn't split on a keyframe but i have fouund the .rmvb structure and i detect the frame type and i calculate the time to split the file.
There seems to be a problem with rmeditor in that the start time used to split the file is 'exclusive'. This means that when the start time is set exactly at the key frame, this key frame will not be included in the output file. This is why I would see around 10 seconds of no video at the beginning of the 2nd part when I used this feature.

The work-around is to set the start time for the 2nd part of the clip to around 50 ms before the key frame. Then the key frame will be included. Hopefully this work-around can be included in AutoRV9 V1.3, which I am very much looking forward to.
Old 31st March 2003, 21:49   #208  |  Link
Valky

And most important..when can we see avs input in AutoRv9?

Of course it is now included in x2real which make both these 2 programs vital at the moment. Autorv9 has it advantages with so many great filters and better audio conversion, but avs-input in x2real makes also something that you can't live without..
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2003, 11:31   #209  |  Link
akabob

hi

What's differ between AutoRV9 and x2real audio conversion ?
As for filters, you can add your own into x2real\bin\avisynth\filters folder, they will be available when you click on "custom filters" then "add..."

Best regards,
http://www.lalternative.org
http://www.autorv9.fr.st
akabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2003, 08:08   #210  |  Link
ToiletDuck

Is the RV9 codec being actively enhanced or is it a done deal untill a new one comes out in the future? I was looking so see if there were any possible updates for it but haven't found any.
Duck
ToiletDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2003, 16:31   #211  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Originally posted by ToiletDuck
Is the RV9 codec being actively enhanced or is it a done deal untill a new one comes out in the future? I was looking so see if there were any possible updates for it but haven't found any.
Duck
This is quite a good questions.... as i want to know in terms of RV9....

Here is what has happened this month with encoder and the decorder.

A new developer release of player..... and in future may be a adjustable Post processing....

A milestone 6 release of Producer 9.1
Still don't know what is new with.....

Actually i have only notice bug fixing and some small enhancement..... In terms of quality i don't think there is any improvement....i don't think you will see as much going on in RV than in Xvid.

Anyway, you will have to wait for Karl to answer in details....
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2003, 06:34   #212  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark-Cracker
- max value for latency around 60 sec instead of 25 sec
- possibility to add switch to :
-p - set/clear perfect play mode
-b - set/clear mobile playback mode
-r - set/clear selective record
increasing the max latency should be possible, and I will try to make that happen.

Perfect play mode: isn't this an old player only setting?

Mobile playback mode: not sure what this is. Perhaps you are referring to the old "Download to mobile devices", which I think was specifically for Audible players, not mobile phones or anything like that. It was obsoleted a while back -- we don't recognize or set that flag in Producer 9.x.

Record option: this is always on in Producer 9.x
Old 3rd April 2003, 06:41   #213  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by ToiletDuck
Yes, it is being actively worked on, but so far no encoder releases with much improved quality over the Gold release, which we are still pretty okay with. We have improved playback, fixed a few minor bugs, spent lots of time integrating with Helix, and enabling various ports. This is a lot of work, for a video codec team so small you can count us on less than one hand. Something might be brewing on the encoder side though, but no news for a little while yet.
Old 3rd April 2003, 07:28   #214  |  Link
ToiletDuck

wow there are that few of you? Awesome work man.
Old 3rd April 2003, 18:58   #215  |  Link
ToiletDuck

well you really don't know how many people microsoft has working on it. I'm not sure how big of a market there really is for this.
Old 3rd April 2003, 19:29   #216  |  Link
midiguy

more people doesn't neccarily correlate to better product. in fact, when there are more people, in some respects, it is a disadvantage.. because then more stuff ahs to be explained to more people and bugs will pop up everywhere because of people having trouble with other people's code (m$) etc. etc. of coarse, there is the advantgage that more work could potentially get odne in less time...
midiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2003, 16:27   #217  |  Link
wing1

@karl,

Quote:
We have improved playback, fixed a few minor bugs, spent lots of time integrating with Helix, and enabling various ports. This is a lot of work, for a video codec team so small you can count us on less than one hand.
Regarding playback improvement, I have a quick question: EO video seems to be the only commercial application which is capable of converting RV9 encoded stream into either VCD/SVCD/AVI (am I wrong with this assumption?). However, it can only do RV9 encoded stream which is not using the anamorphic resize function. If the latter is true, EO output will be all scramble lines. Is this something wrong with EO or RM decoder?
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2003, 18:30   #218  |  Link
karl_lillevold

eo video

I just tried EO Video and the first thing I noticed was that during playback of RealVideo, it does not use optimized rendering, like MPC. This means software resizing is used, which looks pretty bad with jaggies everywhere, and multiple output buffers are not used, which results in tearing. This is the same quality as with the RealOne hardware compatibility slider all the way to the left.

Then when transcoding, it seems to do an okay job with each individual frame, but it has framerate problems. It does not seem possible to preserve the original framerate, and the list of framerates does not include 23.976. Then, when using 24 fps, it does not look all that great.

With regards to anamorphic encodes, you know how the RealVideo renderer uses the video card hardware to stretch the video. This uses a high quality resizing filter, and looks very good. I am not sure why EO has problems with such a clip, maybe they simply have not run into any of those clips. It should be possible, but I don't know which APIs they use.

Even if it had been working, one potential problem would have been the resizing filter. If the RealVideo software resizing is used to stretch the video to the correct aspect ratio, there will jaggies. Just try to play such a clip with the hardware compatibility slider all the way to the left. A high quality resizing filter is required for playback (or conversion) of anamorphic encodes.
Old 4th April 2003, 20:21   #219  |  Link
ToiletDuck

Is there anyway to config realone to play using the filters that I want? Or a way to possibly encode it with a lower bitrate giving it the jaggy edges and then getting my 9700pro so some way use AA to smooth it out?
Old 4th April 2003, 20:25   #220  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I am not quite sure I understand the question. When are you seeing jaggy edges you would like to get rid of?

The jaggy edges I referred to in my previous post is caused by resizing diagonal edges with a fast software resizing algorithm. This happens for all bitrates, if you do not use an optimized renderer. The only cases when a non-optimized renderer is used, is if you set the hardware compatibility slider all the way down, which should not be necessary, or EO Video.