Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th December 2015, 15:40   #34761  |  Link
retrue

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
"Yes, I am using DXVA upscaling, but when I use any other upscaling with this video (using last versions of MPC-HC, XYSubFilter and MadVR) I don't get any image at all. The sound plays fine but the screen is black. With some of the upscaling methods I can see the info when typing Ctr+J, but in most cases I see nothing at all. All the upscaling methods work fine with other videos that I have tried."

To me this sounds like there's some general problem with your PC, either with the software installation or the hardware. Or does this problem only occur with this one specific video file? Can you use Catmull-Rom upscaling for other videos without any problems?
This is happening recently: With some anime videos using Catmull-Rom the video plays well in window mode, but the image is black in fullscreen mode. Sound continues playing and I recover the image again when I switch back to window mode. Maybe I messed something. I don't know. Or maybe it is a bug in MPC-HC or elsewhere. However, with most videos Catmull-Rom works well in window and fullscreen modes. So, maybe the problem is related to subtitles. Srt subs work always well, other formats only sometimes.

Anyway, the problem I had with the upscaling and position of vobsub subtitles and that I reported a couple of weeks ago is anterior to these current problems.
This is my madVR settings.bin file: http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/auRcaug6/file.html
Btw, I am using Windows 8.1 64 bits, with a i7-4770, 16 Gb of RAM and a Nvidia 9800GT graphics card that I cannot change at the moment.
retrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 17:11   #34762  |  Link
retrue

Hi again.

I have been doing checks with old versions of madVR.
The bug I am talking about it is introduced in the version 0.89.7. It is very specific: It happens when the video has vobsub subtitles, XYSubFilter is used as renderer and DXVA2 is used for upscaling.
With different upscalers (Catmull-Rom, Jinc, etc) or different subtitles renderers the subtitles are shown correctly.
Other problem is that recent madVR versions are unstable when running videos with vobsub subtitles. I randomly get black screens instead of video when playing a file. These black screens are most common when switching between window and fullscreen mode. This problem didn't happen with older madVR versions.
retrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 20:31   #34763  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Does anyone have a problem forcing film mode deinterlacing with the last 2 builds of madvr? For the life of me, I cannot have it select film mode, even if I use the specific key I set for forcing film mode it still selects video mode.
Old 20th December 2015, 21:21   #34764  |  Link
huhn

is the source file 10 bit?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 23:22   #34765  |  Link
Probe

Hdr

Are there any specific requirements to view HDR videos other than using the latest madvr and LAV builds?...l have them both installed and configured ...l can play the HDR demo file (life of pi) but it is way too dark...l can only see the highlights ...the image brightness doesn't change regardless of the nits selected (400 to 10000). l have an gtx 960 and I have madvr configured in FSE D3D11...no presentation glitches just trying to work with the HDR feature...any suggestions?
Probe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 23:36   #34766  |  Link
dbcooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Or if you're using deinterlacing.

Awesome, thanks buddy.
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 23:42   #34767  |  Link
py930828

render queue never go over 4 when fullscreen, frame drop about 400 on every movie.

I am using a 3630QM+970M, when I open mpc-hc with madvr, if I am in windoes mode, the queue will go full up to 8, however, if I go into exclusive mode, the render queue will drop down to 1-4-8, the frame will drop about 1 or 2 in one minutes. Also, please trust me that I have tried every passable setting in MADVR. I have been working with this problem for over 60 hours, it doesn't seems like it's working out.

I am sorry I don't know where to find the setting file, if anyone know please tell me. What I can do now is post the debug file, since it produce large file size, what I did is open a file, allow it to run 2-3 seconds, then i set it to exclusive mode for 2-3 seconds, then I close it.

Also, I found that the exclusive mode will go to black screen if I set the "general setting" as DX9 instead of DX11. This could be a problem that some user might have.

Mashi,pPlease reply me if you need any more information. I am looking forward to work with you and solve this problem.

http://1drv.ms/1RyBja4
py930828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 01:40   #34768  |  Link
zerowalker

Is it possible to prevent audio from stop playing when seeking, like EVR does.
Meaning the audio insta-seeks and the video will plays, and when the video image is up to point it will start showing as well.
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 11:38   #34769  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
Is it possible to prevent audio from stop playing when seeking, like EVR does.
Meaning the audio insta-seeks and the video will plays, and when the video image is up to point it will start showing as well.
Keeping "delay playback start until render queue is full" off and setting "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to 1 is the best you can do.
Old 21st December 2015, 12:17   #34770  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
There is a known bug that I need to work on. It also requires a new XySubFilter patch, which is why I've not fixed it yet. Will be fixed sooner or later, but might take some time...
Hi madshi, yesterday I watched a 2.35:1 movie and noticed the subs jumping back inside the video frame after a minute or so... I'm on the latest version of madVR now, but I'm sure it wasn't always like this since the introduction of the new "render on black bars" functionality. Do you know when the bug was introduced? I might consider downgrading if there's a working version without the problem.
Thanks!
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 15:53   #34771  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
but in this case the following is happening:
if a soft telecine DVD is played directly from the ".vob" it is treated and flagged as progressive 29p. same with a MKV remux from makemkv.

so deinterlacing/madVR IVTC isn't used. so what is the point of this?
What is the point of what?

Quote:
if it switches to true interlaced the output picture is ruined if it switches to hard telecine 3:2 the output picture is ruined.
If who or what switches? Do you mean if you manually switch madVR to true interlaced or hard telecined?

Quote:
if it would be flagged as interlaced than everything can stay as it is even forcing deinterlacing on it and everything is fine as it is. but if it is progressive why not fix the frame interval as long as IVTC or deinterlacing isn't used?
Your whole post is really confusing to me. I don't really understand at all what you're asking. Here: Are you asking why madVR doesn't fix the frame interval? Or the decoder? Or the splitter? Or the original video encoder?

Quote:
BTW. if deinterlacing is used on such a file than the output is 47p with just repeated frames the deinterlacer never gets the 3:2 pattern. is this a bug bug or working as intended?
What do you mean with "gets the 3:2 pattern"? And how do you know what the deinterlacer "gets" - since DXVA doesn't tell anybody anything about what it's doing inside. We never know whether it's in film mode or video mode, actually it's usually a pixel-by-pixel decision in most DXVA deinterlacing implementations, I think. And what kind of bug are you talking about? A bug in the GPU DXVA deinterlacing algorithm? Or a bug in madVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktan View Post
Hmm that's interesting your test case of live TV source doesn't do that. I'll try another analog device then. How would I go about in delaying the audio?
Some media players have options for delaying audio, e.g. MPC-HC/BE.

Quote:
Also, what about the idea to delay playback until decoder queue is full?
The bottleneck is not the rendering, so it doesn't matter if we delay until the decoder or renderer queue is full. The bottleneck is "decoding" (or rather sending frames by the source). So any sort of delay doesn't seem to work for this analog source filter you're using.

Quote:
And lastly, why would it work fine for EVR or VMP9 (DXVA deinterlacing that is)?
EVR/VMR9 simply receive one frame, process it, render it. No queues involved, usually. It's a very simple design, and it works well in this specific situation. madVR is designed to queue frames and render many of them in advance. The whole madVR rendering logic depends on having full queues. If the queues are near empty, all sorts of bad things start to happen. It's a completely different design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrue View Post
This is happening recently: With some anime videos using Catmull-Rom the video plays well in window mode, but the image is black in fullscreen mode. Sound continues playing and I recover the image again when I switch back to window mode. Maybe I messed something. I don't know. Or maybe it is a bug in MPC-HC or elsewhere. However, with most videos Catmull-Rom works well in window and fullscreen modes. So, maybe the problem is related to subtitles. Srt subs work always well, other formats only sometimes.

Anyway, the problem I had with the upscaling and position of vobsub subtitles and that I reported a couple of weeks ago is anterior to these current problems.
This is my madVR settings.bin file: http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/auRcaug6/file.html
Btw, I am using Windows 8.1 64 bits, with a i7-4770, 16 Gb of RAM and a Nvidia 9800GT graphics card that I cannot change at the moment.

[...]

I have been doing checks with old versions of madVR.
The bug I am talking about it is introduced in the version 0.89.7. It is very specific: It happens when the video has vobsub subtitles, XYSubFilter is used as renderer and DXVA2 is used for upscaling.
With different upscalers (Catmull-Rom, Jinc, etc) or different subtitles renderers the subtitles are shown correctly.
Other problem is that recent madVR versions are unstable when running videos with vobsub subtitles. I randomly get black screens instead of video when playing a file. These black screens are most common when switching between window and fullscreen mode. This problem didn't happen with older madVR versions.
I don't think there is "the bug you are talking about". I think we're talking about 2 different bugs: One bug is windowed vs fullscreen mode, especially when using e.g. Catmull-Rom upscaling. The other bug has to do with vobsub subtitles when using DXVA scaling. The latter bug should be fixed in the next madVR build. Probably the first bug will still be there, though. And it might not be a bug in madVR, but a problem with your GPU driver or hardware. Anyway, it's worth trying the next madVR build, and then checking which problems are still there and which are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
Does anyone have a problem forcing film mode deinterlacing with the last 2 builds of madvr? For the life of me, I cannot have it select film mode, even if I use the specific key I set for forcing film mode it still selects video mode.
Are you using native DXVA decoding, maybe? Forced film mode only supports copyback DXVA or software decoding (or CUVID or QuickSync). Also not all pixel formats and bitdepths are supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probe View Post
Are there any specific requirements to view HDR videos other than using the latest madvr and LAV builds?...l have them both installed and configured ...l can play the HDR demo file (life of pi) but it is way too dark...l can only see the highlights ...the image brightness doesn't change regardless of the nits selected (400 to 10000). l have an gtx 960 and I have madvr configured in FSE D3D11...no presentation glitches just trying to work with the HDR feature...any suggestions?
There are no specific requirements that I'm aware of. Make sure you use the latest LAV *nightly* build, but even if you don't, HDR files should still look "ok".

Please make a screenshot of the madVR Ctrl+J OSD when playing a HDR video. Don't attach it to this forum, but upload it to some image uploading/sharing host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by py930828 View Post
I am using a 3630QM+970M, when I open mpc-hc with madvr, if I am in windoes mode, the queue will go full up to 8, however, if I go into exclusive mode, the render queue will drop down to 1-4-8, the frame will drop about 1 or 2 in one minutes. Also, please trust me that I have tried every passable setting in MADVR. I have been working with this problem for over 60 hours, it doesn't seems like it's working out.

I am sorry I don't know where to find the setting file, if anyone know please tell me. What I can do now is post the debug file, since it produce large file size, what I did is open a file, allow it to run 2-3 seconds, then i set it to exclusive mode for 2-3 seconds, then I close it.

Also, I found that the exclusive mode will go to black screen if I set the "general setting" as DX9 instead of DX11. This could be a problem that some user might have.

Mashi,pPlease reply me if you need any more information. I am looking forward to work with you and solve this problem.

http://1drv.ms/1RyBja4
Presenting frames takes one full VSync inveral in fullscreen mode on your PC. I'm not sure why. There's a setting for "max number of prerendered frames" (I don't remember the exact name) in your GPU control panel somewhere. Make sure it's set to application controlled. Generally pretty much everything in your GPU driver's control panel should be set to application controlled, so that madVR is able to choose its own setting instead of being overwritten by the GPU control panel settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Hi madshi, yesterday I watched a 2.35:1 movie and noticed the subs jumping back inside the video frame after a minute or so... I'm on the latest version of madVR now, but I'm sure it wasn't always like this since the introduction of the new "render on black bars" functionality. Do you know when the bug was introduced? I might consider downgrading if there's a working version without the problem.
Thanks!
There's a known bug in the way XySubFilter and madVR communicate. This will be fixed in a future XySubFilter + madVR version.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 15:56   #34772  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.89.19 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added support for display peak luminance values of 265, 180 and 120 nits
* HDR: gamut mapping is now always on, even if calibration control is disabled
* fixed: DVD/Blu-Ray subs were positioned incorrectly when using DXVA scaling
* fixed: DVD aspect ratio wasn't always shown correctly when using MPC-HC
* fixed: gamma processing and brightness control didn't work for HDR content
* fixed: DXVA decoding + deint -> refresh rate sometimes didn't switch
* repeated frames are displayed (again) when smooth motion FRC is enabled
Old 21st December 2015, 16:25   #34773  |  Link
Aktan

Quote:
Some media players have options for delaying audio, e.g. MPC-HC/BE.
Okay, I'll try that, thanks!

Quote:
The bottleneck is not the rendering, so it doesn't matter if we delay until the decoder or renderer queue is full. The bottleneck is "decoding" (or rather sending frames by the source). So any sort of delay doesn't seem to work for this analog source filter you're using.
What made me think this may help is this. With pure interlace source, using DXVA deinterlacing, if the queues are under 7, I see DXVA change how it works and only see a bobing deinterlace (a lot of shimmering). If the queues are 7 or higher, DXVA deinterlace works completely fine and looks great. I thought this happens because DXVA needed more frames before it could process. So what I thought was that since the decoder queue is near zero and with it the render queue near zero, DXVA is messing up, but if there is a delay until decoding queue is full, it would consistently be around full (since it is capturing realtime) but the queue would have enough frames for DXVA to work it's magic.

Quote:
EVR/VMR9 simply receive one frame, process it, render it. No queues involved, usually. It's a very simple design, and it works well in this specific situation. madVR is designed to queue frames and render many of them in advance. The whole madVR rendering logic depends on having full queues. If the queues are near empty, all sorts of bad things start to happen. It's a completely different design.
I forgot where I saw this, this was years ago, but I'm pretty sure any video render that works with DXVA does have a small queue of maybe 1-2 frames. In order to do motion estimation on temporal side, it needs more than 1 frame. I remember the option to set how many frames to queue and if it was set to zero, DXVA wouldn't work right.
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 17:15   #34774  |  Link
Budtz

Nits setting

Does the Nits-setting matter with non-HDR content?

I can't find any info on it for my D6505 samsung TV
Old 21st December 2015, 17:22   #34775  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
added support for display peak luminance values of 265, 180 and 120 nits
Thanks! I very much like the look of 265 nits setting. The shadow details are wonderful at this setting.

Incidentally, have you made any improvements/ changes for the regular SDR content too? I seem to feel a subtle PQ improvement. Can’t say if it’s a placebo.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 17:36   #34776  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I forgot where I saw this, this was years ago, but I'm pretty sure any video render that works with DXVA does have a small queue of maybe 1-2 frames. In order to do motion estimation on temporal side, it needs more than 1 frame. I remember the option to set how many frames to queue and if it was set to zero, DXVA wouldn't work right.
DXVA GPU processors have the option to ask for past frame references, but IIRC newer AMD and NVidia drivers don't really ask for that, they seem to store/remember past frames themselves somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
Does the Nits-setting matter with non-HDR content?

I can't find any info on it for my D6505 samsung TV
At this time the Nits setting only applies to HDR content. Just try different settings to find one which looks good to your eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Thanks! I very much like the look of 265 nits setting. The shadow details are wonderful at this setting.
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Incidentally, have you made any improvements/ changes for the regular SDR content too? I seem to feel a subtle PQ improvement. Can’t say if it’s a placebo.
I haven't changed anything SDR PQ related. At least not intentionally...
Old 21st December 2015, 17:39   #34777  |  Link
zerowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Keeping "delay playback start until render queue is full" off and setting "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to 1 is the best you can do.
Ah okay, already tried that, guess i am too greedy, thanks
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 17:43   #34778  |  Link
Aktan

Quote:
DXVA GPU processors have the option to ask for past frame references, but IIRC newer AMD and NVidia drivers don't really ask for that, they seem to store/remember past frames themselves somehow.
Ah okay. I guess what I mention about madVR needs a queue of 7 or more to have DXVA work correctly doesn't help my problem?
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 17:45   #34779  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Ah okay. I guess what I mention about madVR needs a queue of 7 or more to have DXVA work correctly doesn't help my problem?
Not really. madVR can work ok with just e.g. 4 frames, too. But the frames must be coming in reliably from the source filter. If the decoder queue gets down to 0 or 1 frames once in a while, bad things will happen.
Old 21st December 2015, 18:03   #34780  |  Link
aufkrawall

Thanks for the new build. Could the next please include the latest Adaptive Sharpen version?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling