Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th May 2009, 21:13   #11  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9 View Post
Since I wrote the checker, this argument sparked my interest.
You asked
and I'd say it's better to error on the side of caution, is it not? Encoding a 1080p file can take some time after all. The x264 devs tend to give GUI developers pointers when something changes.. so I wonder if megui is doing something wrong they haven't brought it up - perhaps the approach of rather being safe than sorry also help them from bogus error reports.
Safe side sure but I would side with accuracy on a proven formula then to go below it which avc level checker does. The only safe thing I could understand is lowering ref by 1 if b-pyramid but some others and I have proven that b-pyramid does not affect the DPB anymore but simply playing max refs+b-pyramid in BD players. There is nothing obvious in x264 changelog to represent this however. The MeGUI wiki agrees with me on ref and b-pyramid.

Quote:
Not directly.. it really depends on the resolution and framerate of the source - and that's why I wrote the checker as a tool accessible in the main form (where you load sources), and not within a codec configuration (a user may not have loaded the source or may change it.. thus making the whole idea of saving presets unworkable). And, I still don't see a way to make this any better.. you can only really enforce levels properly if you completely change the workflow - megui wasn't built around enforcing a certain workflow.. it started out with what's still there and then got the auto encoder and finally the one click encoder - properly enforcing levels only works if you go about it in a whole different way (the one click workflow).. so if you want a mandatory or optional checker, that's where you'd need to put it.. and definitely not in the codec configuration.

Clicking around in the latest version a bit I noted that selecting a level no longer enforces the constraints that can be enforced.. I guess you can have a different opinion on that, but my approach with enforcing meant you lose flexibility so it appears the current developers opted for flexibility in that case - and it's really an either or decision.. you cannot have both. Given megui's history I understand why the choice went into the current direction - non experienced users can use the premade presets and the tools to facilitate encoding whereas all options are open to the advanced users who know what they're doing. I suppose you could have a setting "I know what I'm doing" and only allow people to change codec configurations, write scripts and the likes when that's checked, but it's a lot of work trying to force people who don't know better to not hurt themselves.
All but these 2 things I brought up are already enforced by profile@level. Check different profiles, exceed max vbv of the level. I see no reason not to extend it to enforce all profile@level now that the formula for figuring it out is well known after months and months of research and testing.

The real problem with telling people to research themselves is the information available is very contradictory.

Last edited by turbojet; 16th May 2009 at 23:01.