Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 11th May 2009, 17:15   #3541  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

quite different...like srt vs ssa by example (both text formats but not the same syntax.)
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 17:36   #3542  |  Link
Mirx

On the topic of subtitles, I find something about the .srt subtitle generation a bit off. I don't know if this has already been discussed before, but tsMuxeR calculates the off-set for the subtitles from the lowest point of the subtitle instead of a constant line. This means if you have a subtitle containing the characters “g j p q y” the subtitle will be placed higher.

This means the subtitles will differ in placement height, and that is not common practice for subtitles.
I usually place the subtitles in the black bar, and if it's a dual line subtitle have the upper one in the video, and the bottom one in the black bar (this is still possible with tsMuxer, although a configurable inter-line offset might be a nice addition). In this case you clearly see the subtitle moving up and down depending on the characters in the bottom line.

As for straight up DVD->BR subs, I'm also worried a bit about subtitle quality, and about how to sync them properly. My first vibe is that I would probably still OCR them to .srt, resync them, and generate a new subtitle track for the sheer joy of the better looking subtitles, but that's just me and the outcome might suprise me and make me change my mind...
Mirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 18:00   #3543  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
quite different...like srt vs ssa by example (both text formats but not the same syntax.)
Please confirm....

So given that a typical DVD's "elementary" video stream is say, .M2V. And the "elementary" audio stream is say, .AC3. What is the "elementary" subtitle stream type?

Cheers mate
Old 11th May 2009, 18:05   #3544  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

SUP format...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 18:46   #3545  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
SUP format...
That's what I thought...

That said, I wonder why our old friend DVD Decrypter elected to extract DVD subtitles as .SUB and not .SUP
Old 11th May 2009, 20:13   #3546  |  Link
Discoboy

Hello All,

Since version 1.10.4 or higher puts back the missing directories in the AVCHD output mode.

Question: What is now the actual difference between using the Blu-ray disk and AVCHD disk output mode buttons in the GUI to the files and directories created?

Many thanks
Discoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 20:22   #3547  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoboy View Post
Hello All,

Since version 1.10.4 or higher puts back the missing directories in the AVCHD output mode.

Question: What is now the actual difference between using the Blu-ray disk and AVCHD disk output mode buttons in the GUI to the files and directories created?

Many thanks
Blu-Ray writes blu-ray type index.bdmv which is V0200 and no IDEX, it also uses V0200 in clpi/mpls files. Writing this output on DVD won't play many BD players. Theoretically the same output on a BD should work on all players except for sharp but it's not well tested and I can see reasons why it might not, empty AUXDATA instead of something always in it on retail BD's.

AVCHD uses V0100 and IDEX which plays on all but sharp players.

The only reason I believe this new blu-ray output was created is to fix an issue with Panasonic BD35 and VC-1 video. So far that hasn't been reported to work or not work but theoretically it should work. Except for this certain case I'd really suggest using avchd ouptut even on BDR as it's well tested. But then again if blu-ray output is never used for BDR it will never be well tested.

Last edited by turbojet; 11th May 2009 at 20:46.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 20:44   #3548  |  Link
Discoboy

@ turbojet
Discoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 21:15   #3549  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirx View Post
On the topic of subtitles, I find something about the .srt subtitle generation a bit off. I don't know if this has already been discussed before, but tsMuxeR calculates the off-set for the subtitles from the lowest point of the subtitle instead of a constant line. This means if you have a subtitle containing the characters “g j p q y” the subtitle will be placed higher.

This means the subtitles will differ in placement height, and that is not common practice for subtitles.
I usually place the subtitles in the black bar, and if it's a dual line subtitle have the upper one in the video, and the bottom one in the black bar (this is still possible with tsMuxer, although a configurable inter-line offset might be a nice addition). In this case you clearly see the subtitle moving up and down depending on the characters in the bottom line.
Strange I never noticed this until you mentioned it but it's definitely true even if it's only about 5 lines or so.
Old 11th May 2009, 21:28   #3550  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

[self censored]

Sadly... There are too many stubborn people around...

I'm not surprised that some people don't "receive the attention" they'd like to in other threads.

Dean
Old 11th May 2009, 21:34   #3551  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
[self censored]

Sadly... There are too many stubborn people around...

I'm not surprised that some people don't "receive the attention" they'd like to in other threads.

Dean
I'm confused, care to explain?
Old 11th May 2009, 21:43   #3552  |  Link
nwg

1.10.6 is now made public on the main site to download.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 22:34   #3553  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

1) Don't use software players to prove something is working or not (Sony, Panasonic and maybe Canon and JVC players carry the real weight). Who (?!) cares if a software player can play something, which is supposed to be played in your BD player?! (not to mention the ridiculous "program" called "PowerDVD").

2) Speculations about V1/V2 are unnecessary.

3) Speculations about various folders presence (or not) and demanding their presence (or not) in various outputs of some programs is just absurd.

idbirch2 posted few weeks ago that we need to make all () work up to the standards (and I can't agree more).

I wouldn't care less if a Samsung or Denon or Panasonic players programmers didn't care about their users' experience. They were asked to make (real) Blu-ray discs play, so they did.

You either use your player for what it's supposed to do or refrain of 'making rules'. (I guess sony BD 3xx will do).

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I kind of get p*s*ed off of reading posts with 'suggestions for improvement' or 'let us make it play in 57721 models of 4813 brands/players'...

If someone picked the wrong player - go buy another one and spare the troubles.

You can't make ALL work with the output of a single program as tsMuxeR. God! these won't EVEN ACCEPT (AVCHD) input from another (big brand) output and sometimes from it's own (but different model).

I wonder why there is no thread about SONIC and BPRINT compatibility. Or their output wasn't supposed to go to a 3c DVD-R?

Anyway... Even ORIGINAL RETAIL BLU-RAY DISCS won't play in some players without some "OTA" updates or WON'T PLAY AT ALL...

I won't post anything else on the subject - here or in any other thread. It seems to me it's a waste of time (and I wasted enough with this ridiculous post) to make my point, which is clearly misunderstood (to stress it out again - CAN'T MAKE all BDPs work (click) just like that).

I'd suggest that all create a "F*CKU" folder as a subfolder of BDMV. It should work - I tested it with AKAI, TELEFUNKEN and GOLDSTAR tape-blu-eye players - just write "BD" in the label sticker.

Funny story

Dean

Last edited by deank; 11th May 2009 at 22:45.
deank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 00:24   #3554  |  Link
turbojet

I share your frustration with the whole thing at times.

Some retail BD9's would solve mostly everything.

Looking around on various forums there may be more people relying on software BD players then hardware BD players and I don't think they should be ignored.

Frankly the more supported output (with all empty folders) should be default and who knows the way Samsung is going it could go from 1-2 AVCHD players that aren't supported to 0 within days/weeks.

Since manufacturers don't care about standards don't know why we should because they allow DTS/VC-1/HD audio on AVCHD with a few exceptions. If you want strict compliance of the standard look at PowerDVD, it's the most compliant. If all muxers moved towards AVCHD standard with no VC-1/DTS/HD audio with no empty directories the raging population would grow rapidly. Removal of empty folders already caused some rage from a majority of the many software player users. Just look on slysoft and you'll see what I mean.
Old 12th May 2009, 05:58   #3555  |  Link
psxiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post

Oh I wasn't aware they brought back HDD playback but you are right it will play without those directories but only LPCM\AC3 audio.
I also found out recently that it won't play DTS, but doesn't matter, nero showtime is another alternate that can play avchd from hdd with ac3, lpcm, dts, subtitle.
psxiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 09:14   #3556  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by psxiso View Post
I also found out recently that it won't play DTS, but doesn't matter....
The lack of DTS support is probably a licensing cost issue.

From what I understand DTS re-structured their licensing costs to co-inside with the release of their HD audio formats for Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:23   #3557  |  Link
G_M_C

Easy easy Deank, we all appreciate your work and Roman76's work. And "appreciate" is an understatement as far as i'm concerned.

The reason why Bprint and Sonic and so forth can create workable discs is simply cause they can shell out a shitload of money to buy the appropriate documentation and support from the Blu-ray association. We measly Open Source users have to make do with reverse engenering and/or simply trial and error programming.

As i said before in de BD-rebuilder thread; The lack of proper documentation is the problem. Whith proper documentation, we would understand how the standard works and how it is build up. Then we could make BD9's according to the proper standards, and because it is a standard; All our discs would work, no matter what brand/model.

So in the end it is the BR-association that's at fault (read: Sony corp.) because they threat the proper documentation as a classified document equal only to CIA-national-security-level-kind of documentation. Silly, cause the format would really take of if the userbase could grow faster

Last edited by G_M_C; 13th May 2009 at 09:51.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 10:44   #3558  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by psxiso View Post
I also found out recently that it won't play DTS, but doesn't matter, nero showtime is another alternate that can play avchd from hdd with ac3, lpcm, dts, subtitle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
The lack of DTS support is probably a licensing cost issue.

From what I understand DTS re-structured their licensing costs to co-inside with the release of their HD audio formats for Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
WinDVD acts the same way, only AVCHD from HDD. AVCHD can be moved from cameras to HDD legally.
However when you think about it why should it support pirates who rip BD to HDD?
Isn't preventing piracy one of the industries main goals?

Empty folders tricking players is silly but it's nothing new. Blank AUDIO_TS is needed in some DVD players, mainly sony.

Last edited by turbojet; 12th May 2009 at 11:06.
Old 12th May 2009, 13:47   #3559  |  Link
NoLd0r

@roman76r

splitting and cutting time selection do not work in the tsMuxeR GUI 1.10.6

for this great tool
NoLd0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:45   #3560  |  Link
turbojet

Splitting and cutting are working ok for me in 1.10.6 however I've ran into problems in past versions but I could never figure out why.

Could you mention what input type (m2ts, mkv, etc.)
What streams are in the input (H.264, VC-1, AC3, PGS, etc.)
Are you deselecting any streasm?
Output type and a split and cut setting that doesn't work and what happens when it doesn't work

Tags
tsmuxer