Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd November 2011, 19:51   #61  |  Link
amtm

Yeah I'll see which one appears less annoying. Also if you have any other feedback please feel free to keep the ideas coming. I'm more than happy to make tweaks to make the tool better.

Last edited by amtm; 23rd November 2011 at 20:10.
Old 25th November 2011, 01:20   #62  |  Link
phate89

amtm did you ever think to improve the tool allowing insert silence or cut audio inside the file?
you add the points in the audio and the operations (add silence, remove audio, loop the audio) and he make all the changes in one pass...complete basic editing without recompression...
there's nothing like this... eac3to allows to insert silence or remove audio in track but only one for pass (so with 5 editing i have to recreate 5 times the full file), your tool allows cuts and delay but no insert or cut in the middle, besplit only split the file in parts...
I already create my own program to do that based on this tool but everytime i have to split & then join increasing the time and i can't compensate the not fixed delay...
naturally it's not so easy to do but it could be a very useful tool... perfect for me... if you have time think about it...i try to look into the code but it's too much for my skills

Last edited by phate89; 25th November 2011 at 01:44.
phate89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 12:47   #63  |  Link
TDiTP_

different dts frames

One thought about delaycut vs eac3to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
eac3to can not "create" new silent DTS frames which are needed for delay. Instead eac3to simply repeats the very first frame of the audio track as often as necessary to achieve the wanted delay. Normally a DVD audio track begins silent, so this usually works. If your DVD audio track begins non-silent, then eac3to's way of delaying isn't silent, but results in ugly noise, sadly. If there was a free DTS encoder available, I could solve this, but there isn't. For AC3 I'm using Aften to do the audio delay properly and guaranteed-noise-free.

delaycut can do this better, but since it doesn't have a DTS encoder, either, it simply uses a default silent DTS frame - which doesn't have the DTS-ES flag set, of course.
I can add. Delaycut can add "standart" DTS frames only (they are use on DVD; 1006 against 1024 "bytes per frame" for 768) and if we add such frame to DTS from Blu-ray, then eac3to with ArcSoft/Sonic/Nero will not be able to decode it (but libav can). => we can't use it to work with DTS from Blu-ray.

For example. Look at this stream from BD. Try to decode it (by ArcSoft/Sonic/Nero) and then using delaycut add delay and retry decode. Then cut delay and retry again

Can you add Blu-ray's dts frames to "default silent DTS frame" of delaycut?

Last edited by TDiTP_; 25th November 2011 at 17:29. Reason: typo
TDiTP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 16:21   #64  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

^ @ TDiTP_

«Normal» "Blu-Ray DTS" can be anywhere between 1.0@192kbps and 5.1@1509kbps. So, delaycut would have to be shipped together with a "small truckload" of "silent DTS sample files"
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 17:39   #65  |  Link
TDiTP_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki
«Normal» "Blu-Ray DTS" can be anywhere between 1.0@192kbps and 5.1@1509kbps
Yes (and 5.1@1510kbps can be too).

Addition to my previous post. If we talking about "Targeted BitRate"=1536:
1). Most of "Blu-ray DTS" (all that i saw, but can be exceptions) have 2012 bytes per frame.
2). All "core DTS" have 2012 bytes per frame. This is most important. At least for this we must have support for such frames in delaycut, which can add only 2013.
3). In DTS-HD M.A.S. when we select "Destination Format = DVD (.cpt)" we always get 2013 bytes per frame. If "Destination Format = Blu-ray disc (.dtshd)" we always get 2012 bytes per frame (in dts or "core dts").

Last edited by TDiTP_; 25th November 2011 at 17:46.
TDiTP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 22:59   #66  |  Link
Stereodude

I found another couple of bugs.

1) Changes to the video FPS field don't cause the program to recalculate unless you change another field or change an checkbox.
2) The starting offset delay doesn't re-autopopulate / recalculate if re-opening the same file or changing the FPS.
3) Changing from frames to ms causes the starting offset delay to decrease each time you switch
4) The starting offset delay isn't subtracted from the cut file End setting so the output audio is too long

Last edited by Stereodude; 28th November 2011 at 13:38. Reason: adding #4
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 12:15   #67  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

i have problems build in my archlinux

Code:
sl1pkn07@sL1pKn07 delaycut $ qmake -makefile delaycut.pro 
sl1pkn07@sL1pKn07 delaycut $ make
g++ -m64 -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,-O1 -o delaycut     -L/usr/lib -lQtGui -lQtCore -lpthread 
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.6.2/../../../../lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld devolvió el estado de salida 1
make: *** [delaycut] Error 1
sl1pkn07@sL1pKn07 delaycut $

Last edited by sl1pkn07; 28th November 2011 at 12:18.
sl1pkn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:00   #68  |  Link
amtm

Sorry, I've been away for a bit. Will address the bugs this weekend. sl1pkn07 your build problems are due to their being two different configs in the pro file. You need to add a CONFIG+=Linux on your qmake line. I'll update the readme with information about building from source so that's more obvious.
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:52   #69  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

oh! thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 05:19   #70  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtm View Post
Sorry, I've been away for a bit.
We were about to send out search parties.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 13:00   #71  |  Link
phate89

Quote:
Sorry, I've been away for a bit. Will address the bugs this weekend. sl1pkn07 your build problems are due to their being two different configs in the pro file. You need to add a CONFIG+=Linux on your qmake line. I'll update the readme with information about building from source so that's more obvious.
don't worry take your time...
you think it's possible to make a program like the one i described before? i'm trying to look at the C++ code to understand how it works and try to do it myself but is far too adanced for me... the first problem is that i have no clue how are composed the files...
You think it's theorically possible?
Old 5th December 2011, 20:02   #72  |  Link
amtm

Yeah it can be done. I'm just trying to work out the best way to implement it.
Old 5th December 2011, 20:26   #73  |  Link
phate89

Quote:
Yeah it can be done. I'm just trying to work out the best way to implement it.
UUh great!
Unother idea that could be useful in that program is a loop flag.... if there's the loop flag in that edit instead of inserting some silence it repeat the previous frames...
Old 6th December 2011, 13:18   #74  |  Link
tebasuna51

Another suggestion to DelayCut improvment.

If we have a ac3 file with mixed content (for instance a TV capture with 5.1 frames from a movie and 2.0 frames from commercials), DelayCut show a message like:
Time 00:00:20.032; Frame#= 627. Some basic parameters changed between Frame #1 and this frame

But the output file remains invalid (a valid ac3 stream must contain only the same frametypes).
Also the 'Num of frames' and 'Duration' are incorrect because the 'FrameSize' change.

I suggest a flag with 3 options:

1) Ignore FrameType changes (like now)
2) Extract only frames like first FrameType.
3) Extract only 5.1 frames.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:50   #75  |  Link
phate89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Another suggestion to DelayCut improvment.

If we have a ac3 file with mixed content (for instance a TV capture with 5.1 frames from a movie and 2.0 frames from commercials), DelayCut show a message like:
Time 00:00:20.032; Frame#= 627. Some basic parameters changed between Frame #1 and this frame

But the output file remains invalid (a valid ac3 stream must contain only the same frametypes).
Also the 'Num of frames' and 'Duration' are incorrect because the 'FrameSize' change.

I suggest a flag with 3 options:

1) Ignore FrameType changes (like now)
2) Extract only frames like first FrameType.
3) Extract only 5.1 frames.
very good idea...could be a easy way to remove ads too!
usually ads are 2.0 so will be removed automatically
Old 12th December 2011, 17:49   #76  |  Link
amtm

Sorry guys I've been really bad about getting back to this. I've have written down all the suggestions on my TODO list. I really hope to get a new version out this weekend that at least addresses the last couple of bug reports before I get into implementing those new features. Just want to let you know that I am still monitoring this. The time leading up to this holiday has just been rather crazy.
Old 13th December 2011, 10:05   #77  |  Link
pandv2

I searched long time for a tool to add silence and cut as described by phate89. Now I am using besplit to break the ac3 in parts, ac3to to add delay to each part o cut the beginning and ac3to to rejoin the fragments. It's automated (so, no extra work), but it's ugly.

And let me add another option to tebasuna51 flag to deal with mixed ac3 frames:

4) Force the track to be 5.1 or 2.0 (dropping channels or adding silence channels). It this is not possible without reencode, forget it.

And, please, rememeber to add the new options to command line.

Thanks for your work, and don't worry about time.
pandv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 10:17   #78  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandv2 View Post
4) Force the track to be 5.1 or 2.0 (dropping channels or adding silence channels). It this is not possible without reencode, forget it.
Yes, is not possible without reencode.
Old 13th December 2011, 20:04   #79  |  Link
phate89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Yes, is not possible without reencode.
it's not possible to do it reencoding only the necessary frames? i don't know very well ac3 structure. in theory should be possible?
Old 14th December 2011, 04:39   #80  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate89 View Post
it's not possible to do it reencoding only the necessary frames? i don't know very well ac3 structure. in theory should be possible?
You need split, decode, edit, recode and join.
To much job for a useless, for me, output.