Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2009, 05:33   #1  |  Link
lchiu7

How to calculate bitrate for 1080p encode

Up till now I have been encoding my BluRay rips as 720P. But thinking down the line I might upgrade to a 1080p set thought I might start encoding as 1080P instead. But using the bitrate calculator in Megui gives the same bitrate for 720p and 1080p and from what I have seen if I use the rate given for 720p for 1080p encode, the outputs shows obvious macroblocking, especially in darker scenes.

I guess I could take the value given by the bitrate calculator and scale it up 50%. I am not shooting for a specific target size the content resides on my server - just want something that works for 1080p and looks good.

Any other methods that could be used?

Thanks

Last edited by lchiu7; 2nd May 2009 at 05:39.
lchiu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 06:41   #2  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
I am not shooting for a specific target size the content resides on my server
why you need to calculate the bitrate then ?
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 07:47   #3  |  Link
lchiu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
why you need to calculate the bitrate then ?
Well I do want to save space but also not have too many artifacts like macroblocking. So I am just adding about 40% to the value calculated by the bitrate calculator. Not scientific and will see how it goes.
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:22   #4  |  Link
poisondeathray

Why don't you use crf mode then ? It's faster to encode (1pass), and should give you the same average quality that you set, but the filesize may vary greatly between titles. A slow drama movie generally requires less bitrate to look the same "quality" than a fast paced action movie with explosions. If you arbitrarily pick a bitrate, it might be too little for some movies, or too high for others depending on the source material

(But if this is targetted for a device, then VBV isn't optimal unless you use 2pass encoding)

Last edited by poisondeathray; 2nd May 2009 at 15:25.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 21:23   #5  |  Link
lchiu7

Did a quick look on the documentation for CRF and it isn't clear how to set it. All I can see is that it should be between 18-26 which seems like a large range. Is there a some method for making a more precise setting?

Agree that if I have constant bitrate I might too much or too little so while space isn't an issue, I don't want to have not enough of a bitrate and see macroblocking. And wildly varying spaces between titles isn't an issue also - so long as it's not the same as the source(!) when I might has well copy the entire contents of the disc (BD or HD-DVD) to the server and just remove the extraneous tracks (other languages, subtitles, etc.)
BTW this is targeted for a device - the Popcorn Hour.
Old 2nd May 2009, 21:41   #6  |  Link
Who Am I ?
x264 Fanatic !

might be offtopic but would'nt cqm's help with the bitrate distribution on scene's / regions ( mostly dark ones ) on which u're worried about ?
Who Am I ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:00   #7  |  Link
movmasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
Did a quick look on the documentation for CRF and it isn't clear how to set it. All I can see is that it should be between 18-26 which seems like a large range. Is there a some method for making a more precise setting?
Yes: testing....

range 21-24 is ok for you?
movmasty is offline   Reply With Quote