Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th December 2018, 10:09   #53821  |  Link
giulianoprs

AMD RX 560 strix oc. now OSD photos with "dropped frames" I do not have, I will try to make one tonight.
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 10:11   #53822  |  Link
JayeDog

latest working nvidia driver

I'm still using 385.28 but what is the latest working nvidia driver that can do madvr custom refresh rates and 12bit?
JayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 13:22   #53823  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeDog View Post
I'm still using 385.28 but what is the latest working nvidia driver that can do madvr custom refresh rates and 12bit?
Unless you also game on the pc i would stick with 385.28
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 14:22   #53824  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Unless you also game on the pc i would stick with 385.28
I agree. I went back to 385.28 myself after the failures of the most recent drivers that have broken too many things to make it worth it.

The main advantage of recent drivers was better 3D (frame drop repeat every 13 minutes instead of every 3 minutes), but 3D was broken too recently.

So I disabled drivers updates and went back to 385.28, which is better on every single HTPC aspect apart from 3D (but you have to go back a few versions from the latest to get stable 3D) and gaming.

With a 1080ti or older, I don't think there will be a better version for non-gaming use so I've stopped updating.

I'll revisit this when I upgrade my GPU (not until they deliver HDMI 2.1 and 7nm) as 385.28 won't be an option anymore.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 18:00   #53825  |  Link
giulianoprs

ryrynz or others who want to make a judgment, this OSD is done after 5 minutes, of course just left the movie I reset with Ctrl + re after I did Ctrl + je as you see there are those "dopped frames" (3), yet I did not noticed no type of shot when watching.
https://imgur.com/a/w62b7CF
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 22:45   #53826  |  Link
ryrynz

Screen shot shows everything is fine. Test with default settings. Use the batch file included in MadVR directory to restore them.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 16:37   #53827  |  Link
mzso

Hi!

Is there a setting with the custom downscaling algorithms that might be close as fast as the DXVA2 option?
So far with only this can I downscale UHD without framedrops, but it produces horrible aliasing artifacts.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 17:41   #53828  |  Link
cremor

Hey guys,

I have a weird problem with custom modes since I got a new GPU. For my old GPU (GTX 960) I had custom modes for 100 Hz and 119 Hz and noted down all the properties needed to recreate them via madVR. This worked fine all the time, even when the custom modes were gone after a driver update.

But now with the new GPU (RTX 2070) and new drivers (417.22 - I can't use my previous ones since they don't support my new GPU) I can't get a custom mode that has the frequency that I want. I can enter everything I want and test it successfully, but it's actually using something else than I entered.

For example:
When I just create a custom mode with default timings from EDID the mode that is created doesn't show the same values as "current timings" - the vertical back porch is a bit higher. It doesn't matter if I check the values immediately after testing the new mode or after a reboot.
When I then just increase the pixel clock (that was enough to get a good mode with my old GPU), the modified pixel clock is actually saved, but the vertical back porch is again higher than it should be. It is increased in a way that completely negates my increased pixel clock - so the resulting frequency stays the same.

Any idea on how to fix this?
Can you guys still create custom modes with drivers 417.22 and/or a RTX 20x0 GPU?

edit: Found the problem. I need to disable G-Sync when I create/edit a custom mode. Weird that I didn't have to do this with the old GPU/driver, but now that I know about it it's ok.

Last edited by cremor; 8th December 2018 at 19:20.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 17:59   #53829  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Hi!

Is there a setting with the custom downscaling algorithms that might be close as fast as the DXVA2 option?
So far with only this can I downscale UHD without framedrops, but it produces horrible aliasing artifacts.
Nope, that should be the fastest. Did you check scale chroma separately under trade quality for performance?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 18:02   #53830  |  Link
Warner306

Did you clean your drivers properly after installing the new GPU and clean out any the optimization data stored in madVR?

If you started from scratch, it might be a matter of driver compatibility with brand new cards. I would just try the automatic optimization provided by madVR before using CRU.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 18:14   #53831  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
The fastest custom algorithm is Bilinear, which might still be slower on low-end GPUs because it uses the shaders, while DXVA2 scaling can use a dedicated scaler unit (if present) - but you are stuck with its quality.

You can try various trade quality options, as Warner mentioned already "scale chroma seperately" can often help a whole bunch.
Old 8th December 2018, 19:21   #53832  |  Link
cremor

@Warner306
Yes, I did a clean reinstall of the drivers with DDU.
I'm just using madVR to create the custom mode. I don't use CRU.

But I've now found the problem. I need to disable G-Sync when I create/edit a custom mode. Weird that I didn't have to do this with the old GPU/driver, but now that I know about it it's ok.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 19:52   #53833  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
Hi guys,
I own a 4K projector and a Panoramic screen (2.35:1 format).

I use my HTPC (nvidia gtx 970, Win 10) with Kodi +DSplayer with MadVR.

I need to inscribe the image in my screen.
Using resize function into Nvidia control panel I've resized the OS desktop to 3840x1662 px and now it's ok.

If I execute Kodi I can see it perfectly inscribed into my screen.

The problem starts when I execute a film ... Madvr infacts compress the image ratio.

So I've setted MadVr in this way:
> Automatically detect hard coded black bars
> crop black bars.

Now I'm playing some 2.35:1 film but the result is not right.

Can some one suggest me righty settings?

thank you
Hi guys,
Nobody here uses an htpc with madvr with pj and panoramic screen??
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 20:59   #53834  |  Link
huhn

is a panoramic lens something like an anamorphic lens?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 22:58   #53835  |  Link
Plutotype

Folks,
Watching 23.976fps UHD movie with a Win10 system with Nvidia GTX1060 6GB driver 388.13 on a FHD SDR display. It results into 8ms rendering times using JINC everywhere ( plus: scale chroma separately in the trade section ). HDR to SDR pixel shader math checked. CRU applied with 23.976Hz from Nvidia. Windows 1803 version.
The playback gets choppy and frame drops occur in certain scenes. It looks to me as a performance problem. What could be the culprit?
Thanks

Last edited by Plutotype; 9th December 2018 at 08:46.
Plutotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 02:26   #53836  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Nope, that should be the fastest. Did you check scale chroma separately under trade quality for performance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The fastest custom algorithm is Bilinear, which might still be slower on low-end GPUs because it uses the shaders, while DXVA2 scaling can use a dedicated scaler unit (if present) - but you are stuck with its quality.

You can try various trade quality options, as Warner mentioned already "scale chroma seperately" can often help a whole bunch.
Thanks for the tip. But won't this affect upscaling also?

Too bad DXVA2 produces such horrible aliasing artifacts.
I guess you're right about the scaler unit because GPU usage drops to idle. Too bad quality was not a factor in its design...
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 10:15   #53837  |  Link
huhn

madVR has different settings for up and downscaling so this should only affect downscaling until you are upscaling over the target resolution.

on low end hardware switching the hardware decoder could result in a speed boost too.

DXVA native with default setting will disable "scale chroma separately..." and will slow any kind image downscale making them 3 times slower.
so you have to untick "use DXVA chroma upscale when doing native DXVA decoding" but this cost performance too because madVR has first to undo the DXVA scaling.

so you can use D3D11 decode which only adds an interop which may or may not be faster.

and you can test DXVA copyback which doesn't have a interop but more data is transported which cost processing power too.

DXVA scaling doesn't get alot of love here that chroma problem with nvidia clearly doesn't help.
Old 9th December 2018, 10:38   #53838  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
is a panoramic lens something like an anamorphic lens?
Hi,
No anamorfic lens used.
Side madvr : I need a cropping top-bottom to see content perfectly inscribed.
Once a 16:9 film is played I only need an option to inscribe the 16:9 frame in the center of my 21:9 screen.
In this case it's substantially a downsizing.

Side OS: I'm already ok because the function of the nvidia control panel draw perfectly the desktop inside my 21:9 screen.

So I need settings only side madvr.

Every 21:9 users without anamorfic lens need those feature... Infact my Lumagen radiance have then.

Hoping madvr does.

The problems in my test seems to be related to the way madvr refers to the nvidia drawing of the desktop.
Madvr thinks to have a standard 16:9 desktop.... But in my case is not real... I've changed it into 21:9....

Let me know. Thank you
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 11:01   #53839  |  Link
huhn

this feature is already present. it can even be used with lens memory on some projectors.

you go to devices-> click on "your projector name" select digital projector -> screen config -> define visible screen area by cropping masked borders.

for 2160 it should be top bottom -~257. if these numbers are wrong i'm pretty sure you will find the correct ones.
Old 9th December 2018, 13:14   #53840  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Watching 23.976fps UHD on a FHD SDR display results into 8ms rendering times. The playback gets choppy and frame drops occur in certain scenes.
Open the OSD and watch the queues do when that problem happens.
If the decoder queue goes low it's a source file read/video decoding problem. Close background programs that may put increased stress on your storage device/increase the queue size/switch to another decoder (D3D11 native is a good option for UHD).
If the render queue goes low it's a GPU problem. Watch the clocks and GPU usage with a monitoring tool (GPU-Z or Windows Task Manager) during playback.
If present queue goes low it could be another program trying to display 3D at the same time and hurting presentation (if you're using windowed mode).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling