Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 3rd January 2012, 22:18   #1  |  Link
Mr. Mac

Can DVDs Play HD?

This might seem like a silly question, and I'm sure the answer is no, but if I were to burn HD content onto a DVD, would the DVD produce HD playback, or 480? I'm 95% sure it'll just be SD, but I wanted to find out for sure.

Thanks!
Mr. Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:28   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

Well you can burn bluray format onto a DVD and it will play back as HD on some players, others just won't be able to play it at all.

This is using a computer to burn the DVD not as a video DVD. Burned as a standard video DVD you are right, the content must be 720 by 480/576.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 00:46   #3  |  Link
hello_hello

Most DVD players, as far as I'm aware, won't play HD video at all. I think DivX HD certified DVD players are supposed to play 720p video if it's encoded using the correct DivX (or Xvid) profile but I don't think the idea really caught on. If you want to burn HD content onto DVD and play it you really need to move into Bluray player territory. Once Bluray players arrived on the scene I'd assume there wasn't a great deal of incentive for manufacturers to keep adding features to DVD players.

It's pretty hard to generalize about "HD content" however as it uses a variety of codecs and formats, but these days most/many Bluray players will play the most common ones, either burned to disc or via USB.

Last edited by hello_hello; 4th January 2012 at 00:50.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 02:09   #4  |  Link
Mr. Mac

I do have a Blu-Ray player, and I'd like to burn Blu-Rays, but I don't want to spend extra money on a Blu-Ray writer for $100+ when I can just burn DVDs on my computer.

I'm a bit confused on what you said, though, Asmodian. You mean don't burn a DVD with a menu and everything, just write a file to it?
Old 4th January 2012, 02:56   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

If you've burned DVDs you'll know there's different types of ways to burn them. A DVD complaint video disc is pretty much in the same format as a DVD movie you buy. Alternatively you can write video files to a DVD the same as you'd write any other type of file (data disc).
Most DVD players support playing standard definition AVIs burned to a DVD data disc. Many Bluray players will play high definition AVIs, MP4s and MKVs also burned to DVD data discs, and they'll all still play the traditional DVD video discs.

How you convert your Bluray discs though depends on what formats your player supports. These are 2 HD video disc formats for Bluray which use DVDs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#BD9_and_BD5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#C...y_Disc_players

If your player's more clever it'll play file types such as AVI, MP4, & MKV etc burned to a normal DVD data disc. If it's even cleverer it'll probably have a USB input and will be able to play the same file types from a USB stick or even a USB hard drive.

Somewhere in the manual should be a list of file types and formats your player supports, or post the make and model here. With any luck it'll support MP4 and MKV so you don't have to mess around creating BD5/9 or AVCD complaint video discs.

Edit. Whichever way you go you're going to have to convert the original video in order to fit it on a DVD. You'll probably want to be using a quad core CPU. I have two PCs with basically the same CPU only one's a quad core and the other's dual core. I never use the dual core for encoding with the x264 encoder (which is normally used for HD) as it's way too slow.

Last edited by hello_hello; 4th January 2012 at 03:06.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:05   #6  |  Link
Mr. Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
If you've burned DVDs you'll know there's different types of ways to burn them. A DVD complaint video disc is pretty much in the same format as a DVD movie you buy. Alternatively you can write video files to a DVD the same as you'd write any other type of file (data disc).
Most DVD players support playing standard definition AVIs burned to a DVD data disc. Many Bluray players will play high definition AVIs, MP4s and MKVs also burned to DVD data discs, and they'll all still play the traditional DVD video discs.

How you convert your Bluray discs though depends on what formats your player supports. These are 2 HD video disc formats for Bluray which use DVDs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#BD9_and_BD5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#C...y_Disc_players

If your player's more clever it'll play file types such as AVI, MP4, & MKV etc burned to a normal DVD data disc. If it's even cleverer it'll probably have a USB input and will be able to play the same file types from a USB stick or even a USB hard drive.

Somewhere in the manual should be a list of file types and formats your player supports, or post the make and model here. With any luck it'll support MP4 and MKV so you don't have to mess around creating BD5/9 or AVCD complaint video discs.
I believe it plays all of those formats as well as a USB drive. So a simple burn to data disc will do it? If so, thanks for the help.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:08   #7  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mac View Post
I believe it plays all of those formats as well as a USB drive. So a simple burn to data disc will do it? If so, thanks for the help.
Yes, but I did add something to my previous post regarding re-encoding the video. Sorry if it's stating the obvious but I don't know how much you know about re-encoding.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:19   #8  |  Link
Mr. Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Yes, but I did add something to my previous post regarding re-encoding the video. Sorry if it's stating the obvious but I don't know how much you know about re-encoding.
I know you have to encode to get something onto a DVD - whether or not it plays in HD is my main concern.
Old 6th January 2012, 04:07   #9  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mr. Mac

Hi!
Quote:
whether or not it plays in HD is my main concern.
Yes, it can - but NOT on a standard DVD player...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 23:35   #10  |  Link
Mr. Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@Mr. Mac

Hi! Yes, it can - but NOT on a standard DVD player...
I know - I have a Blu-Ray player.
Old 7th January 2012, 00:34   #11  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mac
I know you have to encode to get something onto a DVD - whether or not it plays in HD is my main concern.
If you already have HD content videos that you believe will play on your Blu-Ray player when input to it from a USB drive, you don't have to encode anything to burn it to a data DVD.

So if you have HD content videos and the current ability to burn them to DVD data disks, why not just try and see if it works?
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 21:20   #12  |  Link
Mr. Mac

It works, thanks!
Old 11th January 2012, 00:02   #13  |  Link
Mr. Mac

Last question - if I burn more than two hours onto a DVD5, what will happen?
Old 11th January 2012, 01:38   #14  |  Link
Asmodian

If it fits it is all good, if it doesn't fit it won't work.

For you the DVD is just a data source. Once video went digital the whole idea of media type = runtime gets funny. The quoted two hours per DVD5 number is just approximate based on a standard bitrate and the size of the media. Depending on the bitrates you use it can hold any length video, both more or less than 2h.

It isn't like a tape that runs at X speed and is Y length = Z runtime.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 03:16   #15  |  Link
Mr. Mac

Got it. Thanks.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:58   #16  |  Link
jmac698

You could use something like http://www.videohelp.com/tools/BDtoAVCHD
It makes a type of dvd called an avchd, which most bluray players play.
And actually, you can make a real DVD-Video (vob's) with HD content, and it will play on HD-DVD and Bluray players, I've tested this. You are limited to the crappy mpeg2 codec though. Playing it on an SD player might crash it.
I've played HD divx on a divx player, and it showed me the upper corner of the HD video.
jmac698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:55   #17  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mac View Post
I do have a Blu-Ray player, and I'd like to burn Blu-Rays, but I don't want to spend extra money on a Blu-Ray writer for $100+ when I can just burn DVDs on my computer.
Wow .... considering the initial price of all optical disc recorders (little help: some ten fold).
Why don't you burn VCDs? They can be burned on even more cheap CDRs and still be playable on your DVD-players....

Seriously, the only real alternative to BDRs is to have AVCHD DVDRs (BD5 and BD9). Beware of the bitrate though!