Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 7th November 2012, 21:49   #961  |  Link
omegaman7

I believe he was planning to implement bitrate distribution eventually. It was more concentrating on other bugs up until now. Of course, I'm sure he has a checklist of most important things to implement first. I'm sure he sees the benefits of compressing extras further. Especially where some discs, don't compress SOME of the extras at all.
Old 7th November 2012, 22:04   #962  |  Link
Denner

Sounds good and keeping my fingers crossed
Denner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 16:01   #963  |  Link
colinhunt

I would definitely love to see user bitrate distribution. I'm doing it manually at the moment, by re-encoding m2ts files one by one, but it's a gigantic PITA. Even a simple functionality, like right-clicking a playlist item and selecting 'low', 'medium' or 'high' to set how much of the bitbudget each item gets would be very welcome.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 16:22   #964  |  Link
jdobbs

I'll probably just provide a method through which you can allocate more or less to extras (as a whole) and the space saved will be reallocated to the feature. Of course the issue becomes how you work it on series discs. Unfortunately there's no "I'm the feature" flag in bluray clips. You could end up with one really good episode followed by four that suck.
Old 15th November 2012, 17:00   #965  |  Link
omegaman7

Perhaps if we could also manually tell it the proper "flags"? Much like we tell it what to blank, we could tell it NOT an extra
Old 15th November 2012, 17:51   #966  |  Link
jdobbs

I want to avoid making it complicated. Frankly on most discs there isn't much reason to do this anyway -- as the original already has allocated a lower bitrate to extras, and the percentage-of-total would be proportionately allocated on the copy. So the necessity for its use should be the exception anyway.
Old 16th November 2012, 01:12   #967  |  Link
omegaman7

I hear ya. I'm sure whatever you come up with, it will be logical, and non complicated
Old 18th November 2012, 00:48   #968  |  Link
sparkyar

Hi, I would like to ask for a feature, I sometimes encode a movie several times till I get the results I desire, and sometimes I forgot to change the "working path" and it happened to be the same as the "source path" (yeah, I know its my fault for not doublechecking)...

so it would be great to have a warning message when you try to start the backup process but "source path" and "working path" are the same. Sorry if the feature is already there and I didnt found it
sparkyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 21:30   #969  |  Link
bekar

Hi, I would like to ask for a feature, I sometimes encode a movie several times till I get the results I desire, and sometimes I forgot to change the "working path" and it happened to be the same as the "source path" (yeah, I know its my fault for not doublechecking)...

so it would be great to have a warning message when you try to start the backup process but "source path" and "working path" are the same. Sorry if the feature is already there and I didnt found it
Old 18th November 2012, 22:39   #970  |  Link
RobertM

Bekar,

Did you actually post that spam " ~live stream Bengals vs Chiefs..." thread? It's not appropriate in this forum.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:53   #971  |  Link
SilverBlade

I would love the ability to 'blank' out extras that I don't need or want.

This is especially useful for discs with TV series.
SilverBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:16   #972  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post
I would love the ability to 'blank' out extras that I don't need or want.

This is especially useful for discs with TV series.
See this link.
Old 16th December 2012, 02:02   #973  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

I was wondering if it would be possible to add an alternate movie-only output option for divx (specifically .avi). I'm pretty sure it's no container that can hold subs, but needs hardcoded subs if they are wanted. Would this be possible? .avi output ( & probably hardcoded subs)?

** edit ** Reason i'm asking is well because it would save me from having to output to DVD-5/9 then burn to a blank in order to watch it. I would then be able to simply output to avi on my FAT32 usb stick. Y i know fat 32, my panny DMP-BD85 doesnt read NTFS so it would have to come out with a max size of 4GB but i assume BDRB would handle that? The video specs to my player are limited too. Which is why i'm asking. It doesnt support mkv

specs: http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9974/pannyvideospecs.png

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 16th December 2012 at 04:00.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 18:20   #974  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauguru View Post
Feature Requests: x264 10 bits

What does “saving bandwidth” mean?
Bandwidth is saved if less bit-rate is needed, keeping the same video quality. When comparing
encoders or encoding technologies, both bit-rate and video quality has to be considered: less bit-rate
keeping the same quality is equivalent to more quality keeping the same bit-rate.

What is a better video quality?
The video quality is better when the decoded video is closer to the source. The most common way of
expressing “closeness” in video processing is stating that there are less errors relative to the pixel bitdepth. For example, a 1 error bit on a 8-bit signal provide the same relative error than 3 bits of error
in a 10-bit signal: 7 bits only are actually meaningful in both cases.

Where are errors introduced in a MPEG encoder?
Video is compressed with a lossy process that introduce errors relative to the source: the
quantization process. Since those errors are relative, they do not depend of the source pixel
bit-depth; but only on encoding tools efficiency when a given bit-rate has to be achieved.

What happens with 10-bit video source when using a “perfect” MPEG encoder?
A 10-bit source carries about 20% more information than an 8-bit one. Assuming the same encoding
tools efficiency, the same bit-rate can be achieved just by quantizing 4 times more (2 bits). Since the
relative error is the same in both cases, the video quality should not change.

So why does a AVC/H.264 10-bit encoder perform better than 8-bit?
When encoding with the 10-bit tool, the compression process is performed with at least 10-bit
accuracy compared to only 8-bit otherwise. So there is less truncation errors, especially in the motion
compensation stage, increasing the efficiency of compression tools. As a consequence, there is less
need to quantize to achieve a given bit-rate.
The net result is a better quality for the same bit-rate or conversely less bit-rate for the same quality:
between 5% and 20% on typical sources.

info :http://x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-w..._bandwidth.pdf
I don't see how this relates to a "feature request" thread?

Please review rule #3 -- and let's try to keep on topic.
Old 23rd December 2012, 19:49   #975  |  Link
lauguru

added please at the end of the work, the total time of the entire process
* example: 1hours 20 minutes 30 seconds
lauguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 20:51   #976  |  Link
tanzer21

Can't seem to find the answer to this question but.... does the bdrebuilder have the capability of changing profile 1.1 and above bluray's to profile 1.0 and below for older players and media players that support this? If not, could that be a possible feature added in the future?
tanzer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 21:12   #977  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzer21 View Post
Can't seem to find the answer to this question but.... does the bdrebuilder have the capability of changing profile 1.1 and above bluray's to profile 1.0 and below for older players and media players that support this? If not, could that be a possible feature added in the future?
No it doesn't. Although I believe doing a movie-only backup should result in a Profile 1.0.

I don't think there are a lot of Profile 1.0 players still out there.
Old 25th December 2012, 21:30   #978  |  Link
tanzer21

Ahhh I was hoping. I want to keep the original bluray menu and the extras if possible. True not a lot of profile 1.0 players out there but some of the media players can only go to profile 1.0 bd menus currently. I'm not sure if it's even possible to downgrade a profile 1.1 to a profile 1.0 or not to be honest. Been looking everywhere for an answer to that question with no results. Still I love BD rebuilder, fantastic program all around!
Old 25th December 2012, 21:37   #979  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzer21 View Post
Ahhh I was hoping. I want to keep the original bluray menu and the extras if possible. True not a lot of profile 1.0 players out there but some of the media players can only go to profile 1.0 bd menus currently. I'm not sure if it's even possible to downgrade a profile 1.1 to a profile 1.0 or not to be honest. Been looking everywhere for an answer to that question with no results. Still I love BD rebuilder, fantastic program all around!
I think that would just involve removing any PiP (bonus view). But I think a lot of discs these days are Profile 2.0.
Old 25th December 2012, 21:40   #980  |  Link
tanzer21

Profile 2.0 would most likely need to be able to remove the BD Live aspect on top of removing the PiP bonus view. I wonder if there is something out there that can do that without messing with the original menu structure of the bluray. But that's probably a question for another forum post, I don't want to clutter up this thread with off topic conversation. I appreciate all the input you've given me, thanks again!