Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 17th February 2013, 05:49   #4401  |  Link
JasonR

After further investigation, this might just be an issue with batch converting. I tried converting a few files individually and they appeared to come out fine. I noticed this because I set the resolution first and then when I load the vob file, it auto changes the resolution to 384, and I have to manually change it back to 400. So, probably when batch converting, it's auto changing all the files to 384 and I don't have a chance to change it back to 400. Does anybody know on batch converting if there is a way to lock in the resolution, so that StaxRip can't change it?
Old 17th February 2013, 14:01   #4402  |  Link
PeterTheMaster

it tries to resize while keeping the original aspect ratio as closely as possible.
scaling to a given resolution would either mean distortion of the image (i.e. changing the ar) or cropping into the image.
which one do you want and why? black bars at two edges of the screen are normal, since it would be rather lucky to have content and screen ar match exactly.
i would recommend to not do weird things during encoding, but rather during playback. i think in mpc you can do both, scale disregarding ar and "touch screen from outside", which keeps ar but crops away part of the image to completely fill the screen.
Old 17th February 2013, 18:43   #4403  |  Link
JasonR

It's not like I'm trying to crop the black bars off of a 2.35:1 AR movie and then stretching the frame to fill my screen. These are 1.85:1 AR movies that usually fill the screen but sometimes they have really thin borders around them that I like to crop off. They are so thin that they don't distort the picture at all when cropped, but they just annoy me.
Old 19th February 2013, 05:32   #4404  |  Link
icezellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by icezellion View Post
I am using "Just Mux" for my audio but the end result is always a .WAV (PCM) file though the source audio is AC3. I'm using DirectShowSource since the source is a .ts consisting of AVC/AC3. Any suggestions how to have it demux the AC3 and not do any conversions? Note: This happens infrequently but it happens, always been perplexed by it. All suggestions welcome.
Anyone know why Staxrip decodes AC3 to PCM/WAV when 'Just Mux' is selected? (happens often enough that I'd like to know how to solve this, using latest version)
Old 19th February 2013, 09:43   #4405  |  Link
PeterTheMaster

what is your target container? i think not every container can hold every format.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:26   #4406  |  Link
Melvelet

I have a problem with x264 ripping:

Since a few days I get a Windows message "H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) encoder has stopped working" (APPCRASH in x264.exe v0.128.2216.9, module yadif.dll v1.7.0.0) every time I try to rip a HD x264 (mkv) to a lower resolution/bitrate one. Preset is 2Pass -> x264 Film Slower. The error occurs at around 40% of the first pass.

I replaced the StaxRip folder with a redownloaded version. I tried a newer version of the x264.exe. Both didn't help.

Any suggestion?

Thank you
Old 26th February 2013, 23:21   #4407  |  Link
brusno

Audio out of Sync in StaxRip

I think StaxRip is a great encoder program, it's just a pity that the audio is coming out of sync often when converting DVD. It's strange that only some DVD causes this. Do you have any tips to overcome this problem? I'm converting the sound from AC3 to AAC, 192 kb/s, VBR. And the audio is equally out of sync whether I'm using eac3to, besweet, or ffmpeg.

Last edited by brusno; 26th February 2013 at 23:28.
Old 27th February 2013, 07:16   #4408  |  Link
Chetwood

Rip the main movie only with DVDfab, is audio still out of sync if you encode this?

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Old 27th February 2013, 16:08   #4409  |  Link
brusno

@Chetwood:
I've ripped with DVDShrink (movie only) and anyDVD. But if you mean that DVDFab do a better job at this, I sure can try that one too.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:16   #4410  |  Link
manolito

Stax himself recommends to rip DVDs with MakeMKV to avoid sync problems. Works for me...

Cheers
manolito
Old 27th February 2013, 18:57   #4411  |  Link
brusno

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Stax himself recommends to rip DVDs with MakeMKV to avoid sync problems. Works for me...

Cheers
manolito
It's just that I convert to mp4. So I guess that means that I cannot use MakeMKV to rip DVD's. None of the ripped DVD's have sync problems. It's only when converting to mp4 with StaxRip. When converting the same DVD's with Handbrake, they are in sync!
Old 27th February 2013, 19:52   #4412  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusno View Post
It's just that I convert to mp4. So I guess that means that I cannot use MakeMKV to rip DVD's.
Of course you can. MakeMKV just rips the DVD into an MKV container, it does not do any encoding by itself.

Look here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...34#post1609334

Cheers
manolito
Old 27th February 2013, 21:06   #4413  |  Link
brusno

Ok, then I'll try MakeMKV. Does it demux the video and sound before putting it in the mkv container?
I have managed to isolate the problem a bit with StaxRip and audio-out-of-sync. I demuxed the video with DGIndex, and the ac3 sound-file which it came out with is out of sync. In the film the sound starts at 3 sec. While in the demuxed .ac3 it starts at 1.42 sec. So it is DGIndex which has a audio problem. And StaxRip use DGIndex.
Old 27th February 2013, 21:16   #4414  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Ok, then I'll try MakeMKV. Does it demux the video and sound before putting it in the mkv container?
No it doesn't.

Quote:
I have managed to isolate the problem a bit with StaxRip and audio-out-of-sync. I demuxed the video with DGIndex, and the ac3 sound-file which it came out with is out of sync. In the film the sound starts at 3 sec. While in the demuxed .ac3 it starts at 1.42 sec. So it is DGIndex which has a audio problem. And StaxRip use DGIndex.
With an MKV source StaxRip uses mkvextract to demux the source. And IIRC it indexes the files using ffms2 instead of DGIndex.

Cheers
manolito
Old 28th February 2013, 07:58   #4415  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
But if you mean that DVDFab do a better job at this, I sure can try that one too.
I had sync issues back then with AutoGK I attributed to "leftovers" from some of the more aggressive copy protections. Fengtao wrote on his board that ripping main movie only would definitely remove any copy protection from a movie and since I'm doing this I've run into no sync issues with my encodes.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Old 28th February 2013, 20:54   #4416  |  Link
brusno

Now I've tried a solution that worked. I re-encoded the .ac3 sound in MeGUI, and added a delay (the difference in sec.). I re-encoded to .ac3 using the ffmpeg choice in MeGUI. And then I used the fixed audio in StaxRip when encoding the video. Finally I got a video with the audio (aac) in sync! I converted the sound to aac in StaxRip.

I've also tried MakeMKV to ripp the dvd, and then I used MKV extract GUI-2 to demux mpeg2 video and ac3 sound. But when I play the mpeg2 video it doesn't look nice.

Last edited by brusno; 1st March 2013 at 22:34.
Old 1st March 2013, 22:38   #4417  |  Link
brusno

Name:  donald-mkv.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  135.2 KB

But, when I play the files while they're in the mkv container it shows well. And audio and subtitle are in sync too. And also when encoding with staxrip directly from mkv container, the result is good. So I guess it's not wise to extract mpeg2 and sound from mkv container with mkv extract gui.

Last edited by brusno; 1st March 2013 at 22:58.
Old 7th March 2013, 00:08   #4418  |  Link
fabje

How can I make from a 1080i recording with 25 fps a 720p 50fps version?
Old 9th March 2013, 19:32   #4419  |  Link
Bogg

Hi,

I'm trying to use the auto crop function and it doesn't seem to work properly. After loading the source file it always disables cropping and my aspect ratio error is over my limit of 2

(Please see the log attached)

Have you ever encountered this?

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: txt P7250038_StaxRip.txt (4.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Bogg; 9th March 2013 at 19:37.
Old 10th March 2013, 18:50   #4420  |  Link
brusno

Why do you want to crop?
Why not just encode for 1280x720 without cropping.
Make sure that you fill in right DAR=16:9=1.78.
Is the source blu-ray?
And are you coding to divx?
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265