Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 5th February 2006, 00:32   #281  |  Link
jinjin_jp

function "Redo Authoring!" and bug of PowerDVD

I tested with using "Redo Authoring!", and found the problem when replaying by PowerDVD5.
I think its cause is bug of PowerDVD, because there is no problem when replaying by other PC players(MediaPlayerClassic, JetAudioPlayer).

Example:
I created DVD-Video by DVDShrink Re-Author Mode, which has 3 titles and each title has 3 chapters.
I edited it by function "Redo Authoring!" of dvdshrink_plugin_v2.0beta1, of which setting is default except for 'When the Previous Chapter button is pressed during playback of chapter 1..., jump to the last chapter of the precious title'.

Problem:
It is only when replaying by PowerDVD5.
After jumping directly to other title (using right-click, not using Prev/Next button, etc.),
(1)when pressing the Next Chapter button, jump to chapter 1 of title 1 from last chapter of all titles(1,2,3).
(2)when pressing the Previous Chapter button, jump to last chapter of title 1 from chapter 1 of title 1.
_(problem is only from title 1, but no problem from other titles(2,3))

Cause and the reason why I suspected(it may be different):
I thought PowerDVD may reset the value of gprm as 0, when jumping directly (using right-click, not using Prev/Next button, etc.).
So,
(1)when pressing the Next Chapter button, at VMG_PGC_1,
*** pre commands:
1 Set gprm(2) =(mov) 0
2 Set gprm(0) =(mov) sprm(4:Title number in volume)
3 Set gprm(0) +=(add) 1
4 if ( gprm(0) > gprm(1) ) then { Set gprm(0) =(mov) 1 }
5 LinkPGCN PGC 4
in line 4, if gprm(1)=0, always "gprm(0) > gprm(1)", so "gprm(0)=1", so title 1 is always replayed.
And,
(2) when pressing the Previous Chapter button, at VMG_PGC_3,
*** pre commands:
1 Set gprm(2) =(mov) 0
2 Set gprm(0) =(mov) sprm(4:Title number in volume)
3 Set gprm(0) -=(add) 1
4 if ( gprm(0) < 1 ) then { Set gprm(0) =(mov) gprm(1) }
5 LinkPGCN PGC 4
in line 4, if gprm(1)=0, only when "gprm(0)=0"(i.e. must be replayed title 3 after 1), "gprm(0) = gprm(1) = 0", so title 1 is replayed after title 1.

Method to solve:
I copied the command of line 1 of FirstPlay ”Set gprm(1) =(mov) 3”,and pasted before line 1 of VMG_PGC_1,2,3.
*** pre commands:
1 Set gprm(1) =(mov) 3
2 Set gprm(2) =(mov) 0 or 1
3 Set gprm(0) =(mov) sprm(4:Title number in volume)
4 ***
5 ***
6 LinkPGCN PGC 4
I tested it, so there was no problem.

As menshioned at first, it is the problem of PowerDVD5, not of PgcEdit.
Thanks.

Last edited by jinjin_jp; 5th February 2006 at 00:43.
jinjin_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 01:38   #282  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the info, jinjin_jp.

In my authoring, gprm(1) holds the number of titles in the DVD. Since it's a DVDShrink reauthored DVD, it's also the number of titlesets. The gprm 1 is set only once, in the FP-PGC (but is read severat times, when it is needed to know the number of titles.) Therefore, this value should never change.

There is obviously a big bug in PowerDVD.

I suppose that right-clicking in PowerDVD calls a menu with an option to play any title, by number. Right? Maybe, as you think, it resets all GPRMs to 0 when doing so. Doesn't matter, IMO, because you should test it with the regular DVD controls, not with the software players specific features.

Anyway, there are other bugs with PowerDVD, for example with the time seekbar, disabled when there is a Next, Prev or GoUpPGCN link pointing to the same PGC.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 03:10   #283  |  Link
jinjin_jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
I suppose that right-clicking in PowerDVD calls a menu with an option to play any title, by number. Right?
Yes, like below.

Quote:
Doesn't matter, IMO, because you should test it with the regular DVD controls, not with the software players specific features.
I think so.
But other software players except for PowerDVD have no problem.
(I just tested only MediaPlayerClassic and JetAudioPlayer.)
I replay the DISC on both DVD player(TV) and software player(PC), so I wanted to solve.

Quote:
Anyway, there are other bugs with PowerDVD, for example with the time seekbar, disabled when there is a Next, Prev or GoUpPGCN link pointing to the same PGC.
I heard like this before, but I remember the problem with WinDVD, not PowerDVD. I would confirm it.

Edit(Add)
I read these threads before.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...265#post683265
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...457#post683457
And I can use time seekbar of PowerDVD5, now.

Last edited by jinjin_jp; 5th February 2006 at 03:46.
Old 5th February 2006, 12:06   #284  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Right! It's WinDVD that has problem with the seek bar.
Anyway, use Media Player Classic. It is good, powerful, free, and has a well designed interface, not one of those horrible and incpmprehensible skins!
Old 5th February 2006, 12:34   #285  |  Link
jinjin_jp

It was found to solve PowerDVD itself.

There is another method of jumping to title/chapter which is to select from DVD browser like below.

This method seems to have no problem.

Edit(Add)
(1)About directly jumping to title/chapter,
___after jumping to chapter 1 of any titles, the problem is occured.
___after jumping to chapter 2,3,,, of any titles, the problem isn't occured.
(2)By setting PUOs to check "title play(4)",
___after directly jumping to chapter 1 in same title, the problem is solved.

Last edited by jinjin_jp; 5th February 2006 at 15:59.
Old 6th February 2006, 18:54   #286  |  Link
outspoken

i'm having an issue where my previews no longer auto-start when in trace mode.

i can click on the cell and issue CTRL+P and the preview will start. but if i use RUN from the beginning, no previews will come.

i have clicked 'automatically start preview playback' and 'use preview' are checked under the preview menu.
outspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 19:29   #287  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You must tick also "Open Preview Automatically When Playing a Cell".
Old 7th February 2006, 01:52   #288  |  Link
outspoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
You must tick also "Open Preview Automatically When Playing a Cell".
ahh, thank you. i missed the setup menu in trace panel.
outspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 12:41   #289  |  Link
Butterfly_JP

An application error occurred in PgcEdit0.6.3.1

Nice to meet you.
An application error occurred in PgcEdit0.6.3.1

I did Ripping with an FILE mode of DVDDecrypter.
I connect a title in NeroRecod2 and compress it.
When it makes New 'Play All' Title in PgcEdit0.6.3.1, it is an application error.

Error log.
invalid command name "AddBCDtime"
invalid command name "AddBCDtime"
while executing
"AddBCDtime [string range $thiscellpbentry 4 7] $totalpbtime"
(procedure "::utils::create_playall_pgc" line 107)
invoked from within
"::utils::create_playall_pgc"
(menu invoke)

I deleted PgcEdit0.6.3.1 after uninstallation, and New 'Play All' Title was made when I tried it in PgcEdit0.6.2 again.
0.6.3.1 and 0.6.2 are default setup, respectively. Will any setting be necessary in PgcEdit0.6.3.1?

Thank you for your consideration
Butterfly_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 14:07   #290  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

Quote:
In my authoring, gprm(1) holds the number of titles in the DVD. Since it's a DVDShrink reauthored DVD, it's also the number of titlesets. The gprm 1 is set only once, in the FP-PGC (but is read severat times, when it is needed to know the number of titles.) Therefore, this value should never change.

There is obviously a big bug in PowerDVD.

I suppose that right-clicking in PowerDVD calls a menu with an option to play any title, by number. Right? Maybe, as you think, it resets all GPRMs to 0 when doing so. Doesn't matter, IMO, because you should test it with the regular DVD controls, not with the software players specific features.
I think it is not a bug in Powerdvd - its in the specs

Quote:
A limitation is that all GPRMs are cleared when a title search or title play command is used, when the stop (or eject) command is used, and when the player is turned off.
Jim Taylor - DVDDemystified

Quote:
there are other bugs with PowerDVD, for example with the time seekbar, disabled when there is a Next, Prev or GoUpPGCN link pointing to the same PGC
Same here - if previous- und nextpgcn pointing to the same PGC is set there must not be a VTS_TMAPTI table - therefore time seek bar is disabled

I made a quick test with scenarist - if you define previous and nextpgcn pointing to the same PGC there is no VTS_TMAPTI written.
If you create a second pgc in a title you cant have a VTS_TMAPTI too.

Presuming scenarist complies with the specs.

Last edited by bigotti5; 7th February 2006 at 14:22.
bigotti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 14:28   #291  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit 0.6.4 beta 1

That's right, Butterfly. I have found this bug, too, and it is already fixed in 0.6.4beta1.
Thanks for the bug report anyway!
Old 7th February 2006, 14:42   #292  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigotti5
I think it is not a bug in Powerdvd - its in the specs
Stupid specs! But thanks for the info! I ignored that!
BTW, I understand now why the "Title Play or Search" PUO is set in many PGCs of commercial DVDs.
Anyway, I will change the DVDShrink plugin to hardcode the number of titlesets. Pitty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigotti5
Same here - if previous- und nextpgcn pointing to the same PGC is set there must not be a VTS_TMAPTI table - therefore time seek bar is disabled

I made a quick test with scenarist - if you define previous and nextpgcn pointing to the same PGC there is no VTS_TMAPTI written.
If you create a second pgc in a title you cant have a VTS_TMAPTI too.

Presuming scenarist complies with the specs.
In this case, I'm not so sure it's right.
IMO, it is normal to remove the VTS_TMAPTI when the title is a true non-sequential title, with several non-dummy PGCs. But setting the Prev/Next/GoUp PGCN pointing to itself does not change the structure of the PGC at all, so, IMO, it should still be considered as sequential. And even if there are additional dummy PGCs in the same TTN, since all cells are defined in the same PGC, it should work, too.
Also, I've found that setting a link to itself is accepted w/o the time seek problem with all standalone players I've tested so far.
Do you have an information in DVD Demystified on this subject?
Old 7th February 2006, 15:20   #293  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

DVDShrink plugin v2.0 beta2

OK, done. The modified DVD Shrink plugin (v2.0 beta 2) can be found here.
Jinjin JP, it should work with the right-click method in PowerDVD.

However, I have not changed the Prev/Next/GoUp PGCN links method. If it's really a problem, I might add a new cell at the very beginning of each PGC, and another one at the end so that it should be possible to use the prev and next buttons without the links. But I have no solution to enable the return button to go back to the prev title w/o adding a GoUp link. Someone has an idea?
Old 7th February 2006, 15:36   #294  |  Link
Butterfly_JP

I downloaded PgcEdit0.6.4beta1.

Thank you for r0lZ.

Last edited by Butterfly_JP; 7th February 2006 at 15:38.
Butterfly_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 15:52   #295  |  Link
jinjin_jp

@r0lZ
Thanks very much for the new ver. of DVDShrink plugin.
It functions fine even when using PowerDVD.

About GoUp, do you mean anything instead of GoUp link?
If so, there is introduced about method which goes back to the prev title when RootMenu button is pressed.
It needs edit command one-by-one, compareed with one-click operation of PgcEdit's.

In DVDShrink plugin v2.0 beta2, displayed "When the Title button is pressed...", is it "the Title Menu" like v1.4?
Old 7th February 2006, 16:02   #296  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

Quote:
when the title is a true non-sequential title, with several non-dummy PGCs.....there are additional dummy PGCs in the same TTN, since all cells are defined in the same PGC, it should work, too.
One PGC - it does not matter if a second is dummy or non-dummy

Quote:
Three types of titles exist: a monolithic title meant to be played straight through (one_sequential_PGC title), a title with multiple PGCs for varying program flow (multi_PGC title), and a title with multiple PGCs that are automatically selected according to the parental restriction setting of the player (parental_block title) (see Figures 6.20 and 6.21). One_sequential_PGC titles are the only kind that have time maps for timecode display and searching.
Quote:
Do you have an information in DVD Demystified on this subject?
No, unfortunately this is the only information about time map and One_sequential_PGC titles.

found this in
Ralph LaBarge - Dvd Authoring and Production

Quote:
DVD-Video titles can include up to 99 Part_of_Title (scenes) within a PGC. SPRM 7 stores the current Part_of_Title number with values between 1 and 99. If the viewer changes scenes by using Next, Previous, GoUp, or numeric keys on the remote control, SPRM 7 will be updated with the new Part_of_Title number. The default value for SPRM 7 is 1. Note that SPRM 7 is only valid for One_Sequential_PGC titles.
Not sure if it has to do with our issue.

A next or prev PGC link is only valid within the same title and Scenarist does not write a time map if you define a next- and/or a prev PGC regardless if it is the same PGC. Think scenarist is very close to the spec.
Old 7th February 2006, 16:52   #297  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks again, bigotti5.
Seems there is no way to use the prev/next/goup links w/o loosing some functionalities of the player.
Maybe I'll write a DVDShrink plugin 3.0 later, with complient methods only.

@jinjin_jp:
Yes, using the Root menu button is a solution. But I don't like it, since this button is not supposed to jump back to the previous title.

"When the Title button is pressed..." means "When the Title Menu button is pressed...", of course.
Old 7th February 2006, 22:54   #298  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

My main bugbear with PowerDVD v6 is that you have to turn subtitles on through it's right click menu (or the keyboard shortcut). It does not respond to a menu which eventually selects a valid stream in SPRM2. Anyone else see this problem?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 00:22   #299  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

Quote:
It does not respond to a menu which eventually selects a valid stream in SPRM2. Anyone else see this problem?
Agree - my version ignores SetSTN subtitle commands too....
Old 8th February 2006, 01:38   #300  |  Link
JDlugosz

Behavior of "next chapter" within last chapter

As you can read in this thread, I'm annoyed that my DVDs created with DVD Lab Pro will jump to something if the Next Chapter button is pressed when it's already in the last chapter of a title. It jumps to the beginning of some title, having nothing to do with the presentation order of the titles in the main menu.

First, does anyone know for sure what is the correct standard behavior? If this is a quirk of my Samsung player, and not widespread, I won't worry about it. Standard or not, if it affects all Samsungs, then I need to deal with it.

Someone had suggested using DVDRemake to disable the button while in the last chapter. So I came here to ask: can I do that with PgcEdit? I can see it shows me a table of chapters ("cells") for a title, but I don't see any way to edit prohibited operations within a cell (I found one that appears to be global).

Any suggestions?

--John
JDlugosz is offline   Reply With Quote