Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 7th April 2008, 07:36   #4161  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

eac3to v2.39 released

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Code:
* simple audio transcoding was broken
Old 7th April 2008, 10:19   #4162  |  Link
the_provider

Is there a User Manual that I can download?

Greetings.

Today I encountered the first(...) DVD with dts audio file. I tried to convert it to ac3(5.1 ch.) but it didn't worked. When using EAC3to Conversion Utility I select some options that can be seen beneath:
eac3to.exe "C:\HEART\HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.dts" "C:\HEART\Z_HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.ac3" -448 -sonic -keepDialnorm

and the result was:
DTS-ES, 5.1 channels, 1:38:39, 16 bits, 1536kbit/s, 48khz
This audio conversion is not supported.
I replaced sonic with libav with no positive result.

I must mention that:
eac3to.exe "C:\HEART\HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.dts" "C:\HEART\Z_HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.ac3"
worked fine but due to the size I felt that I need to decrease the bitrate.

As I am new to using this tool my guess is that I missed something. I am willing to learn to use it properly that is the reason why I am kindly requesting a link to a User Manual or some hints to configure the conversion correctly.

Question: 378 and 320 kbit are not in the drop-down box, is it correct to assume that the conversion to this rates is not supported?

Best regards.
Old 7th April 2008, 10:33   #4163  |  Link
Beastie Boy

If
eac3to.exe "C:\HEART\HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.dts" "C:\HEART\Z_HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.ac3"
works OK, then use the command

Code:
eac3to.exe "C:\HEART\HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.dts" "C:\HEART\Z_HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.ac3" -448
Replace 448 with whatever bitrate you wish to use.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:56   #4164  |  Link
Jaja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Well, that's rather a problem with the EVO splitter and doesn't have much to do with VC-1 support.
I never noticed these specific problems with AVC, so I always understood it to be a VC1 problem

Quote:
EVO files do not contain timestamp information for every video frame. As a result Haali's splitter has to "guess" the timestamps for most frames. If the guessing goes wrong, playback can show the problems you mentioned.
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I wonder then how standalone players work with EVO's. But that is another discussion.

Quote:
eac3to has the luxury to do offline remuxing. So eac3to can first try to use straight 23.976 timestamps. And only if that fails it has to try a different solution. Haali's filter as a realtime splitter might get into trouble if he used simple 23.976 timestamps without caring about the timestamps in the EVO file. That's where the difference is coming from, I guess...
Are you therefore saying that even in the unlikely event, that you make your splitter available as DS filter, your splitter will have the same problems? However, PDVD is able to split the stream without these problems. So it is possible.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:58   #4165  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Check out the "changelog.txt" which is contained in every eac3to download.
Oh I do, I just meant here on the site, the posts between the release posts are more easily followed.
Old 7th April 2008, 16:06   #4166  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

Quote:
Broken LPCM playback is really bad, I agree with that. However, Haali has been responsive to me when I reported bugs with exact information what exactly is wrong and how to fix it. His latest version fixes several important bugs I reported to him.
Any way I can contact him without subscribing to the matroska mailing list? I PM'd him details here already, but I don't know if he frequents doom9 anymore.

Thanks again!
Old 7th April 2008, 17:31   #4167  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
Any way I can contact him without subscribing to the matroska mailing list? I PM'd him details here already, but I don't know if he frequents doom9 anymore.

Thanks again!
So you're aware, someone on the mailing list just brought this up, so it's in-the-know now.
Old 7th April 2008, 17:33   #4168  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Code:
...* log file is copied to destination path (of first destination file)
I, for one, really appreciate this. Thanks so much.
Old 7th April 2008, 18:17   #4169  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

thanks for the new version again!

I got a request, could you make eac3to handle at least corrupt TV sources (.ts files)? I understand that it makes sense to improve clean support for disc sources, as a disc can be re-ripped if there should be an error. but in most TV sources theres always at least 1 video or audio error and because of that then eac3to stops the whole process. unfortunately those files cant be recaptured, unless they repeat that movie sometime later on again.
the thing is when I encouter an error then i demux video and audio and try to correct the error (with delaycut for example), but afterwards ill end up with using eac3to again anyway trying to mux audio and video together, since I feel its most reliable. this process can be very time consuming though and it would be nice if eac3to can just handle smaller errors or problem like that progressive/interlace frame change at the beginning of a movie, so im not forced to get out of the remux loop. otherwise I unfortunately wouldnt be able to mux more than half tv sources I encouter with eac3to. thanks!
Old 7th April 2008, 18:46   #4170  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

chumbo, thanks for the news! Um, but I really hope someone could duplicate the problem - I don't want to be the only one.

thunderbolt - I dunno, I think it would be difficult to handle partially-corrupted ts fiiles.
Old 7th April 2008, 20:28   #4171  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
I think it would be difficult to handle partially-corrupted ts fiiles.
I agree. Thunderbolt8, try VideoReDo+ or TVSuite on your corrupt .ts file (it's free for 2 weeks full-function if you register your email address) i.e. run Quick Stream Fix on it. Other tools to try might be mpeg2repair and possibly HDTV2MPEG.
Old 7th April 2008, 21:35   #4172  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
thunderbolt - I dunno, I think it would be difficult to handle partially-corrupted ts fiiles.
well I cant really judge that, but I only know when you remux those files with haali for example it just accepts like any kind of input and mostly, if the problems are not more than usual corrupted frames, also stays in sync afterwards.
Old 7th April 2008, 21:57   #4173  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
eac3to v2.39 released

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Code:
* simple audio transcoding was broken
Looks to be working again on 64bit Vista, thank you! I'll be trying my BD test again
Old 7th April 2008, 22:09   #4174  |  Link
Greif

madshi, can you update your first post to provide examples of how to demux chapters and subtitles. It will be easier for people to find.

Last edited by Greif; 7th April 2008 at 22:16.
Old 7th April 2008, 22:42   #4175  |  Link
Greif

I'm getting the following message:

Code:
eac3to.exe FEATURE_1.EVO+FEATURE_2.EVO 2: chapters.txt 3: video.mkv 4: audio.ac3 9: subtitles.sup -448 -libav
EVO, 1 video track, 5 audio tracks, 3 subtitle tracks, 1:47:43
"Main Movie"
1: Joined EVO file
2: Chapters, 20 chapters with names
3: VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
4: E-AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: E-AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 768kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: E-AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 768kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
7: E-AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
8: E-AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
9: Subtitle, English
10: Subtitle, Spanish
11: Subtitle, French
Creating file "chapters.txt"...
Extracting primary video track...
Muxing video to Matroska...
Extracting audio track number 4...
Removing dialog normalization...
Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
Getting "Nero Audio Decoder 2" instance failed.
I am specifying the libav parameter so why would it want to try to decode with Nero? Possible bug?

Update: It works if I do the audio on its own.

Last edited by Greif; 7th April 2008 at 23:09.
Old 8th April 2008, 00:01   #4176  |  Link
BLKMGK

Madshi, doing the BD now - so far the video looks good! One thing I noticed that is different with M2TS files vs EVO is that when done eac3to isn't reporting a framecount. With EVO files I have used this in an AVIsynth file with the impression it was necessary to maintain audio synch. Am I mistaken? At this point not yet sure what I will put in my AVIsynth file to feed meGUI but I'm working on it
Old 8th April 2008, 01:02   #4177  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greif View Post
I'm getting the following message:

Code:
eac3to.exe FEATURE_1.EVO+FEATURE_2.EVO 2: chapters.txt 3: video.mkv 4: audio.ac3 9: subtitles.sup -448 -libav
EVO, 1 video track, 5 audio tracks, 3 subtitle tracks, 1:47:43
"Main Movie"
1: Joined EVO file
2: Chapters, 20 chapters with names
3: VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
4: E-AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: E-AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 768kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: E-AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 768kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
7: E-AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
8: E-AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
9: Subtitle, English
10: Subtitle, Spanish
11: Subtitle, French
Creating file "chapters.txt"...
Extracting primary video track...
Muxing video to Matroska...
Extracting audio track number 4...
Removing dialog normalization...
Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
Getting "Nero Audio Decoder 2" instance failed.
I am specifying the libav parameter so why would it want to try to decode with Nero? Possible bug?

Update: It works if I do the audio on its own.
I believe you need to add the parameters in the right place. Your -448 and -libav are for the audio transcoding which is #4. So you need to put those for #4, e.g.,
Code:
eac3to.exe FEATURE_1.EVO+FEATURE_2.EVO 2: chapters.txt 3: video.mkv 4: audio.ac3 -448 -libav 9: subtitles.sup
Old 8th April 2008, 01:04   #4178  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post
Madshi, doing the BD now - so far the video looks good! One thing I noticed that is different with M2TS files vs EVO is that when done eac3to isn't reporting a framecount. With EVO files I have used this in an AVIsynth file with the impression it was necessary to maintain audio synch. Am I mistaken? At this point not yet sure what I will put in my AVIsynth file to feed meGUI but I'm working on it
I believe the frame count is only returned if your source is VC-1. You shouldn't have any sync issues with other sources like mpeg2 and AVC/h264.
Old 8th April 2008, 01:37   #4179  |  Link
BLKMGK

Hrm, I'm pretty sure I've seen it in some H.264 HD-DVD. I'll double check later with Transformers maybe, right now I'm proceeding without it and am not using a Graph file either. Thanks!
Old 8th April 2008, 01:41   #4180  |  Link
pbjr

TrueHD channel order help

Madshi,

I just want to start off by saying thank you so much for eac3to!! Great work! Just like everyone else, I really appreciate all your work.

Now that I got that out of the way...

I converted Constantine's TrueHD to Flac, but the channel mapping is wrong when I playback through mplayer.

What is the default channel order for TrueHD? I tried searching the web but didn't find much. Is it L,R,C,LFE,Ls,Rs?

As a goof I tried converting to WAVs, just to see this output.

Creating file "audio.24bit.L.wav"...
Creating file "audio.24bit.C.wav"...
Creating file "audio.24bit.LFE.wav"...
Creating file "audio.24bit.R.wav"...
Creating file "audio.24bit.SR.wav"...
Creating file "audio.24bit.SL.wav"...

Is that the sequence order eac3to is seeing it? I'm going to try another TrueHD (300) in the mean time.

Thanks,
- PBjr

Last edited by pbjr; 8th April 2008 at 02:00.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to