Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 26th February 2007, 13:37   #1  |  Link
hifi

x264: Deadzones vs AQ-strength

The blocky dark scenes in x264 videos have been annoying me for some time, until i finally searched this board and found a solution.
I've been using aq patched x264 for a while now, and i like it (thanks Sharktooth!).
The question is - should I also try deadzones?
As far as i understand, both aq and deadzones work in quite similar way, redistributing quantizer values more evenly between parts of the frame that are considered more and less important by the x264 encoder. Am I right?
Which of these options works better for encoding with DVD-resoultion at 1500-2000 kbit/s?
It would be nice if someone explained to me the difference between aq and dz.

Videos I usually compress contain not much action, but many important details in the background. A good example is David Lynch's Blue Velvet
hifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 14:44   #2  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

deadzone controls the amount of information dropped by the encoder and not considered for compression. This means you can reduce it to keep more grain or other high frequency details. In theory I guess you could increase the deadzone, which would allow more bits to be allocated to low detail areas, but this is roundabout and probably not optimal.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 16:30   #3  |  Link
SealTooGreat

When will AQ be in the SVN?!
SealTooGreat is offline   Reply With Quote