Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 31st July 2006, 19:59   #41  |  Link
sisman2000

Interlaced support

I want to start Using VC1 for what i heard is good Interlaced encoding support, but your tool is missing that option right now, and my HD footage from Sony HC3 is all interlaced... and so far it doesn't look that great encoded.... will your program have interlaced option soon? or is there a way for me to deinterlace the Mpeg2 before i encode?
sisman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 20:09   #42  |  Link
bond

vc-1 should be good for interlacing? actually i have never seen an interlaced vc-1 stream out in the wild and afaik it has been only recently added to vc-1 advanced profile. even m$ (offering the only vc-1 codec around) only released vc-1 advanced profile encoding some weeks ago (no idea if it already supports interlacing)

so all in all i heavily doubt vc-1 has been much tested with interlacing at all. you shouldnt believe the marketing...

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 02:54   #43  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
even m$ (offering the only vc-1 codec around) only released vc-1 advanced profile encoding some weeks ago (no idea if it already supports interlacing)
so all in all i heavily doubt vc-1 has been much tested with interlacing at all. you shouldnt believe the marketing...
Ummm, interlaced encoding has been supported in WMV for months now, ever since Advanced Profile codec was released with WMP11 and as standalone codec.

I can send you an interlaced WVC1 sample, if you'd like.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 20:55   #44  |  Link
bond

Quote:
I can send you an interlaced WVC1 sample, if you'd like.
yep sure, a small one if possible please

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 3rd August 2006, 02:59   #45  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
yep sure, a small one if possible please
Here you go:
http://www.citizeninsomniac.com/vide...preproc_17.wmv

Encoded with wmcmd.vbs (WME9) with this command line:

cscript wmcmd.vbs -videoonly -input 720x480_29.97i_900f.avi -v_codec WVC1 -v_mode 2 -v_quality 88 -v_framerate 29.970 -v_type 2 -v_preproc 17 -output 480i30__codec_WVC1__mode_2__framerate_29.970__type_1__preproc_17.wmv

If you play it back via VMR, the renderer will probably deinterlace the image on playback. If you want to see the interlaced lines, try opening it in Avisynth with DirectShowSource().
Old 3rd August 2006, 18:39   #46  |  Link
bond

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th August 2006, 14:04   #47  |  Link
Nic

I did actually start to update WMNicEnc, but never got round to finishing it. So I up'd the unfinished version just now as it is very slightly better and has a couple of things people asked for. Maybe i'll get the motivation to update it more one day

http://nic.dnsalias.com

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 17:56   #48  |  Link
sisman2000

Thanks nic i see ur program is now beta not alpha... thanx... but can u still answer the question about interlacing... do you have to have an option for Progressive vs Interlaced if i want to use ur program to encode interlaced HDV to interlaced VC1?
Old 6th August 2006, 18:00   #49  |  Link
Nic

@sisman: In my WMEnc, go to the Advanced Options, now hold your mouse over the combo/select box next to the words "Video Type" to see what the 5 options (0-4) mean. Alternatively read about it at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...aspx#VideoType

-Nic
Old 8th August 2006, 01:32   #50  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic
@sisman: In my WMEnc, go to the Advanced Options, now hold your mouse over the combo/select box next to the words "Video Type" to see what the 5 options (0-4) mean. Alternatively read about it at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...aspx#VideoType
Though, as I think I might've mentioned earlier in this thread, setting VideoType is not enough. That merely tells the codec to encode interlaced bitstreams. A flag still needs to be set on the ASF writer to make sure the resulting WMV file is marked as interlaced. It's a two-step process.

For anyone curious about encoding interlaced video with wmcmd.vbs, note that you need to set both -v_type to a non-zero value, and -v_preproc to 16, 17 or 18.

Last edited by zambelli; 9th August 2006 at 06:40.
Old 8th August 2006, 09:16   #51  |  Link
Nic

@zambelli: Thanks, must have missed your previous post. So is setting g_wszInterlacedCoding to TRUE on the IWMWriterAdvanced2 interface of the writer when VideoType!=0 enough to support it?
(or do I also have to SetProperty WM_SampleExtensionGUID_ContentType on the INSSBuffer3 to WM_CT_INTERLACED, WM_CT_BOTTOM_FIELD_FIRST, WM_CT_TOP_FIELD_FIRST, etc ? )

-Nic
Old 9th August 2006, 04:55   #52  |  Link
sisman2000

I think zambelli is right, i think i was not able to get interlaced encode using ur program even with setting 1-4 on video type...
Old 9th August 2006, 06:52   #53  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic
@zambelli: Thanks, must have missed your previous post. So is setting g_wszInterlacedCoding to TRUE on the IWMWriterAdvanced2 interface of the writer when VideoType!=0 enough to support it?
(or do I also have to SetProperty WM_SampleExtensionGUID_ContentType on the INSSBuffer3 to WM_CT_INTERLACED, WM_CT_BOTTOM_FIELD_FIRST, WM_CT_TOP_FIELD_FIRST, etc ? )
According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...eoencoding.asp, you need to set
g_wszWMVCInterlacedCodingEnabled = TRUE and also set the mentioned data extension unit value to WM_CT_INTERLACED + WM_CT_BOTTOM_FIELD_FIRST or WM_CT_TOP_FIELD_FIRST.

The article also says "Setting the g_wszWMVCInterlacedCodingEnabled property to TRUE, and then not sending any samples with the content-type data-unit extension attached can cause the encoder to crash. Only set the encoder for interlaced encoding if you have interlaced samples to deliver." So sounds like you always need to set both or otherwise the whole thing might blow up.

Setting these values should take care of correct metadata and data extension units being set. Setting VideoType will ensure the codec is actually encoding the images correctly.
Old 15th August 2006, 09:02   #54  |  Link
yevlar

Nic - One question I have - in the new version of your encoder, is the buffer size adjustment only for VC1, or does it work with WM9? That's the one big caveat I've had with the Nic encoder is that there's no way to adjust buffer size to reduce dropped frames in regular WM9 encodes.
yevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 09:16   #55  |  Link
Nic

@yevlar: AFAIK, it will work in both WM9 & VC1, infact it should work on any supported codec that supports that tweak.
Old 15th August 2006, 10:42   #56  |  Link
yevlar

Fantastic!

Your Nic encoder is a beautiful tool, BTW. Far more intuitive than WM's regular GUI.

Keep up the good work!
Old 16th August 2006, 07:49   #57  |  Link
yevlar

One more question - two of the VC1 tweaks I commonly use (Force Chroma Search and Force Adaptive MV cost) don't appear in the Nic options. Are these under a different name, or are they not supported in the Nic encoder?
Old 17th September 2006, 21:13   #58  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

Possible to change key frame interval unit to ms ... ???

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 05:59   #59  |  Link
benwaggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond View Post
vc-1 should be good for interlacing? actually i have never seen an interlaced vc-1 stream out in the wild and afaik it has been only recently added to vc-1 advanced profile. even m$ (offering the only vc-1 codec around) only released vc-1 advanced profile encoding some weeks ago (no idea if it already supports interlacing)

FYI, Amazon Unbox is using VC-1 AP interlaced for their 60i clips.
benwaggoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 07:59   #60  |  Link
Romeo_by
Video encoding amateur

Hi guys, does anybody can explain it or comment: "Windows Media Encoder Studio Edition Beta 1 supports only the WMV9 Advanced Profile codec. Note that this is a different codec than the WMV9 Advanced Profile codec that shipped with the Windows Media Format SDK 9.5. Specifically, the Studio Edition version uses the WVC1 FourCC code instead of WMVA, and requires a newer version of the decoder." It is written here : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...usingsehd.aspx
Romeo_by is offline   Reply With Quote