Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 22nd December 2001, 03:32   #1  |  Link
Q-Panic

Smart Ripper rips very slowly

hi folks...

i have a new pioneer dvd 116 drive, the ASPI driver are installed... but i just get a rippings speed of 1.9 - 2.0 which is really slow... i turned macrovision off, unchecked fast error skip (i read that in a forum) ... what i haven`t done yet is to turn on dma for my dvd drive (i read that, too), just because i have no clue what that means and how i can do it...
does anybody has any idea why my drives rips so slowly? it's not the end of the world, but...

thanx.
Q-Panic.
Q-Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 10:42   #2  |  Link
Ceronian

Enable DMA under Win2k/XP:
Go to the Device-Manager (Geräte-Manager) and select the primary/secondary controller. doubleklick it, and watch out for an option where you can turn on DMA

Enable DMA under Win9x/ME:
Go to the Device-Manager (Geräte-Manager) and select your DVD-drive. doubleklick it, and lock after a checkbox with the label "DMA". Turn this on.

You always have to restart after enabling. Now you should be able to rip as fast as you want.

Another possibilty is installing VIA 4-in-1 drivers (only necessary if you have a board with VIA chipset).
Ceronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 14:59   #3  |  Link
Q-Panic

thankx

i tried both ways: enabled dma for my dvd drive... didn't work... then i installed the 4in1 drivers from VIA (4.36)... didn't work either...

i have an msi K7T266 Pro board... athlon xp 1600+ cpu... two harddiscs ibm 7200 (both raid), my dvd is primary master, the lite on cdr recorder is secondary master... 512 crucial ddram... and winXP

is it possilble that it has anything to do with the raid controller... and why does smart ripper use so much of my cpu... it uses 100%... multitasking is hardly possible during the ripping process... i seem to remember that this wasn't so before i put in the second harddisc...

how much cpu does your smart ripper use?

any other ideas? someone wrote that it has something to do with macrovison... the copy protection forces smart ripper to rip it only with 2.0... but that is damn slow... takes about 40minutes for a dvd...

i better quote the beatles: help, i need somebody...

cheers.
Q-Panic.
Old 22nd December 2001, 15:02   #4  |  Link
Q-Panic

or...

might a firmware update help?
Old 22nd December 2001, 15:03   #5  |  Link
Ceronian

there are some manufacturer which lock their drives so, that they reduce their speed on 2x while playing a video-dvd.

but i don't know if this is matching on pioneer...
Ceronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 16:46   #6  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I have a pretty similar setup.. athlon xp, same msi board,same dvd-rom. However, I don't have any RAID.. it's know to cause problems at times. Anyways.. the most important thing is how you connect your devices.

Sometimes changing the master/slave setup or primary/secondary can help. Clearly, your system hd should be primary master (unless the raid requires something different.. I think I saw something about the raid on that board being not that great.. e.g you can't just use it as a secondary ide controller)... I put both my DVD-ROM and my 24x plex on the secondary ide channel, dvd rom being master and burner being slave (don't believe the crap your burning prog gives you about problems when you do disk-to-disk copies.. works fine every time). Also.. what fw do you have on your pioneer? latest rpc-1 (that's what I have).

also.. you're not going to like the suggestion but vstrip is just better.. harder to use but better... I always use it and it has never let me down.
Old 22nd December 2001, 23:23   #7  |  Link
caLLous

wellll, i don't think it's a RAID issue because i have one hd on RAID and one on primary master ide and the speed is the same for both (around 2.0x )... i remember it being much faster as well
caLLous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2001, 16:05   #8  |  Link
JayTray

Don't feel bad I can only get about .8x - 1.8x! I don't know what the problem could be. I have the same pioneer drive. I will try all the things mentioned when I get home. I also use smart ripper, but I will play with VStrip. I have heard only + on it, accept for it being harder to use. I will post my results later!
Old 31st December 2001, 16:43   #9  |  Link
Jasbo

I had the same problem. I used to be able to rip at speeds up to 8kb/s...I don't know what happened but after a while I could only rip at 1.0 - 2.0 kb/s. The only thing I can imagine is that something went wrong when I updated my nero. Anyway, in the device manager my dvd was in pio mode (burner as master and dvd as slave on secondary ide). When I enabled dma mode and restarted it wouldn't find the dvd at all! I have an Asus a7v 266e board with an athlon xp 1700 and I have been running the standard xp ide drivers, they had always worked fine and were stable. So I broke down and installed the new Via 4 in 1 drivers 4.37v. No performance change, no stability change and my dvd is still in pio mode. Time to go in, I open up the case and switched the jumpers on the burner and dvd (sony ddu 1621). The dvd is now master. I boot the machine back up and both of the devices are now running in ultra dma 2 mode and my ripping is back up to speed. I hope this helps someone....
Jasbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2001, 17:04   #10  |  Link
Tr!n!

@Q-Panic
have pretty same system here
i have the k7t266 pro2 RU-mb from msi, with 2x40Gb(7200) in raid0, i tested it in SiSoft Sandra, and it's not that fast but still alot faster than normal 7200hd...
DVD-rom is also pioneer named DVD-A05SZ and that one isnt looked at any speed at all...luckily
the dvd-rom is master in IDE1, i putted another 15GB hd for ripping in IDE2 but that doenst really matter.
but did u install the winXP raid-drivers when installing winXP (u have to dl them from MSI-site, they were not on my disk) cause the win2k-raid drivers in WinXP are very unstable:
lots of blue screens, i had that problem...and thats really not funny
when u just set up ure expensive system and it crashes all the time...
but i guess u have cause ure not complaining about system crashes in this thread, so i think the RAID aint the prob here...
perhaps u should check on pioneer.com about ure DVD-rom
laterz

Last edited by Tr!n!; 31st December 2001 at 17:46.
Tr!n! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2002, 11:47   #11  |  Link
JayTray

Hey Folks,

It's me again, I just want to post a follow up "Ceronian's" advice worked for me. All I have done is change my drive back to DMA and my speeds have reached 5x-6x. Thats quite an improvement from .8x-1.5x. Thanks Ceronian. If I knew it was that easy I would have done that earlier. I just had a new processor put in and I guess these settings were changed. Because before my new CPU it was ripping at the speed of 5-6x. So I knew it was possible, but I couldn't figure out how. I am happy with my ripping performance now. Thanks Guys!

~~~~~~~~Happy New Year "2002"!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Lets hope this year is better than last)
Old 6th January 2002, 18:37   #12  |  Link
ericgur

DVD ROM not switching to DMA mode

I have a 12x ASUS DVD-ROM and it refused to work as Ultra-DMA, the bios reported that it's an ultra-DMA but windows XP always set it at PIO-4. The most drastic thing that was left to do, was to uninstall (remove) the IDE controller (from device manager), which was connected to the DVD. Telling the device manager to rescan the hardware, quickly finds the controller (and the DVD). The DVD might change a drive letter.
Now things are a lot better.

Note:
On a 500MHz or faster CPU, if the decrypting process takes about 100% CPU, the DMA is not working.
It doesn't matter (much) what other devices are connected to the same controller, as long as it's not the target HD.
ericgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 00:18   #13  |  Link
nitro

Re: Smart Ripper rips very slowly

Quote:
Originally posted by Q-Panic
hi folks...

i have a new pioneer dvd 116 drive, the ASPI driver are installed... but i just get a rippings speed of 1.9 - 2.0 which is really slow... i turned macrovision off, unchecked fast error skip (i read that in a forum) ... what i haven`t done yet is to turn on dma for my dvd drive (i read that, too), just because i have no clue what that means and how i can do it...
does anybody has any idea why my drives rips so slowly? it's not the end of the world, but...

thanx.
Q-Panic.
I have a Pioneer 104 region free. Smart ripper says on average 1.9x, now testing it with Nero it comes out at an average of 17x. Peak transfer rate was 3mbits/s Now given that single speed is 150 kb/s, and I am ripping now at 2100kb/s that is in fact ~16x.

So is SmartRipper not being completely honest about the speed it is reporting?
nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 01:33   #14  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

DVD speed and CD speed are totally different.
As you said, CD speed 1x = 150 but DVD speed 1x = 1385
Old 14th January 2002, 23:48   #15  |  Link
Manao

Perhaps it is a little late and you've already found a solution. But I have encountered the same problem, i.e. Pionner DVD 116 + raid motherboard ( ASUS if I remember well ), and I couldn't activate DMA mode under Win 98. Anytimes I was trying to enable it, the setting was forgotten with the reboot. While trying desesperatly to enable it, one time, I set DMA, and crashed Win 98. At the next reboot, the DVD was no longer detected, but one reboot more and it worked properly, with DMA enabled. The drawback was that anytime I launched the computer, I must reboot immediately because the DVD was not detected.
Anyway, this is a strange way to overcome the problem, and it may not be easy to reproduce. With the installation of Win XP, the problem disappeared, but it was not my computer, and I almost certain than a bios update had been made meanwhile. That could be the solution for you.
Manao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 12:42   #16  |  Link
Stabmaster-Arson

I have P3 800 EB. Sony DVD drive. i rip a dvd in about 6 minutes. (Single side 1 layer, 1 hour 30 minute or so.)
The dirve is rated @ 16X DVD
Stabmaster-Arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2002, 14:32   #17  |  Link
Bugs Bunny
Some Bloke

Just FYI for anybody who don't know already, but you can't put removable drives on RAID channels, because it's not designed for that. What you'll get is flaky perf and crashes. If you are using RAID channels to get 4+ devs, then hook your HDs to the RAID channel(s), DVD as master on one regular (non-RAID) channel, CDRW as master on other regular channel. The benefit of separating the removables on diff channels is that you can use both drives at the same time. For instance, if you're burning CDs, many software will lock both drives if they're on the same channel.
Bugs Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2002, 01:46   #18  |  Link
pliny

DMA & SCSI

I Have a Pioneer DVD-303 SCSI drive on Win XP. Everything rips right around 1.0X but I know that I've ripped whole disks in about 20 minutes (ca. 4X ?) on previous OS installs.

I've stabbed around the device manager but can't find any DMA switched under either the drive or the SCSI controller card. Any suggestions?
pliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2002, 17:02   #19  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

Check 'Domain Validation' is set to 'OFF' / 'DISABLED' in your SCSI Bios.
Old 28th February 2002, 18:48   #20  |  Link
simon79

Similar Problem

I too have a speed Problem with smartripper. I have an AcerDVP104A with firmware 2.05 as secondary slave. And it works fine, with Vstrip or DVD decrypter I get 4000-7000kb/s wich is enough for me, when I use samrtripper with the same DVDdiscI only get 400-500 Kb/s. And so it takes very long to rip a disc. I've enabled DMA and turned DeMacro/fast error skip on and off, but nothing changed! Anyone an Idea ?
(I have the Problem with every Disc)
simon79 is offline   Reply With Quote