Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 11th February 2007, 01:10   #1  |  Link
Steve83

Tell every NetFlix member you know...

...to add "Song of the South" to his queue so NetFlix can apply more pressure to Disney & get this thing out FAST, and in bulk. This classic & groundbreaking (on MANY levels) kids' movie has been hidden away for too long, and for stupid reasons. Let's get it back out where it belongs, for everyone to enjoy.
almost 1,000 DVDs
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 01:51   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Why are you limiting this admirable suggestion to only NetFlix? Why not Blockbuster as well?

Has NetFlix made some public pronouncement declaring that NetFlix believes Uncle Remus and all his Br'ers should be made available, once again, in the U.S. and elsewhere?

As a youngster, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie for what it was when it was initially played in movie theatres - and then again upon discovering the Japanese-released LaserDisc. (If I remember correctly, excerpts apeared on one or several episodes of the original "Wonderful World of Disney")

By "for what it was", I mean a movie with real people interacting with cartoon characters, with a marvelous "Zip-A-Dee-Doo_Dah" score ;>}

I believe that even Spike Lee found the STAR of the movie, Uncle Remus, to be a positive character...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 05:25   #3  |  Link
Steve83

Because I'm not a BB user any more, so I have no idea if they list it yet.

Netflix only put the title into their list online - I'm the one saying everyone should add it to their queues. Maybe that'll get them to move it out of the "Saved" area sooner.
almost 1,000 DVDs
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 08:12   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
Because I'm not a BB user any more, so I have no idea if they list it yet.
Whether a member or not:

http://www.blockbuster.com/ and then click on "Movie Search" tab
Old 18th February 2007, 19:02   #5  |  Link
Dr.Khron

I am a NetFlix member, and I will put this on our list.

I first saw the film during its 1986 release; the local theater ran it as a double feature with "Stand by Me". Great movie, although clearly it touches on some VERY sensitive racial issues.

I didn't realize that there had never been a DVD release! Are you sure that it hasn't been released on DVD outside of the US?
Dr.Khron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 19:59   #6  |  Link
deuce2
Something...

I belong to Blockbuster and they don't have it in any of their lists as far as I can tell.
Old 22nd February 2007, 06:25   #7  |  Link
writersblock29

@deuce2

I beleive that was Setarip_old's point. However, the more retailers and renters you ask to stock it--or to inquire about it--the more you act like water behind a poorly-built dam; sooner or later, that dam gives. My wife and I were waiting on the Linda Hamilton series "Beauty and the Beast" for two years, and were both active and vocal about it. Fortunately for us, so were a few thousand others! Just picked it up last week. Anchor Bay also tends to release films based off of demand, accuring rights so that those who are hungry can feast. Never hurts to throw out a request now and again!
Old 28th June 2014, 17:19   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

Is there any new informaion regarding a DVD and/or Blu-ray official release of "Song of the South"?
Old 28th June 2014, 19:39   #9  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Is there any new informaion regarding a DVD and/or Blu-ray official release of "Song of the South"?
Not since 2010 when a couple Disney people said...

Quote:
In March 2010, Disney CEO Robert Iger stated that there were no plans to release the movie on DVD, calling the film "antiquated" and "fairly offensive".
Quote:
On November 15, 2010, Disney creative director Dave Bossert stated in an interview, "I can say there's been a lot of internal discussion about Song of the South. And at some point we're going to do something about it. I don't know when, but we will.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_South#Home_media
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 22:44   #10  |  Link
setarip_old

Oh well, perhaps there's a chance that by the time I have Great-grandchildren (I'm already knee-deep in grandchildren.) they will get to see a complete and legitimate version...
Old 29th June 2014, 04:21   #11  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Well, if they went by anniversary dates, a 75th Ann. for that movie would be 2021 A.D.

I'm not sure what the next marketable Ann. for Disney would be.
2023 would be the 100th Ann. for The Walt Disney Company.
2028 would be the 100th Ann. for RKO Pictures (Distributor).

Or perhaps some other Ann. would be suitable before then that meets the dates of some of the actors?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 00:20   #12  |  Link
minaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Oh well, perhaps there's a chance that by the time I have Great-grandchildren (I'm already knee-deep in grandchildren.) they will get to see a complete and legitimate version...
To re-bump an already antique thread, if you go traveling in Asia (or have friends who do), you can quite possibly get your hands on a copy. I've owned both a VHS and a DVD of that title. Both were NTSC, although the DVD wasn't region 1. As general manager and buyer for a chain of video stores from 1993 to 2003, I got to where I could spot a bootleg a mile away, and these weren't bootleg. The packaging and labeling were professional and in an Asian language. The VHS was hard-subbed in an Asian language that wasn't Japanese. FWIW, the family member who gave me the VHS said it was also available on laserdisc. I don't remember the year, but it was late 90s.

In the mid-90s, in an attempt to procure "Song of the South" for a customer, I was informed both by our distributor and the Disney rep, "That title is on moratorium."

"When is it coming off moratorium?"

"Never. Ever. That's a political decision, not a business decision. And don't tell anybody I said that."

Apparently that "political decision" didn't apply to the Asian market.
minaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 15:21   #13  |  Link
macromizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaust View Post
To re-bump an already antique thread, if you go traveling in Asia (or have friends who do), you can quite possibly get your hands on a copy. I've owned both a VHS and a DVD of that title. Both were NTSC, although the DVD wasn't region 1. As general manager and buyer for a chain of video stores from 1993 to 2003, I got to where I could spot a bootleg a mile away, and these weren't bootleg. The packaging and labeling were professional and in an Asian language. The VHS was hard-subbed in an Asian language that wasn't Japanese. FWIW, the family member who gave me the VHS said it was also available on laserdisc. I don't remember the year, but it was late 90s.
Unless the DVD was released in Japan where the movie is in the public domain, it was a bootleg. Disney only officially released the movie on VHS, Beta and Laserdisc in Asia.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:38   #14  |  Link
minaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromizer View Post
Unless the DVD was released in Japan where the movie is in the public domain, it was a bootleg. Disney only officially released the movie on VHS, Beta and Laserdisc in Asia.
That's entirely possible. Although I didn't have the ripping skills or tools I do now, it sure looked pressed, not burned. If it was a bootleg, it was the best I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

I wish to hell I'd kept them.
Old 24th July 2014, 16:24   #15  |  Link
macromizer

Quote:
That's entirely possible. Although I didn't have the ripping skills or tools I do now, it sure looked pressed, not burned. If it was a bootleg, it was the best I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

I wish to hell I'd kept them.
The bootleggers in Asia put out pressed discs. They aren't burning stuff to DVD-Rs. In some cases, legitimate pressing plants are used to make the bootlegs.
Old 24th July 2014, 23:58   #16  |  Link
minaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromizer View Post
The bootleggers in Asia put out pressed discs. They aren't burning stuff to DVD-Rs. In some cases, legitimate pressing plants are used to make the bootlegs.
Interesting - and grin inducing. was this also the case in 2000 or thereabouts?
Old 25th July 2014, 17:33   #17  |  Link
macromizer

Quote:
Interesting - and grin inducing. was this also the case in 2000 or thereabouts?
Sure. The same thing happened with bootleg LPs and CDs. It's no different than the "counterfeit" items from China that are made on the same assembly lines as the "authentic" stuff.