Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 24th May 2013, 16:31   #15241  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Video support is a hardware feature, its independent of the API.
I'm sorry the Windows driver doesn't have a fancy readme that outlines the Hardware video support of all the NVIDIA cards, so i link people to the Linux readme. But its a list of Hardware Support, it has nothing to do with Linux or Windows.

Driver changes for another OS are still completely irrelevant. Especially Video Decoder support has always been quite different between Windows and Linux.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 24th May 2013 at 19:09.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 17:54   #15242  |  Link
petran79

Regarding the Intel Quicksync feature and the latest LAV:

does it only support 32-bit version of LAV?

I have a laptop with Intel 3000 and Nvidia GT555M and while the 32-bit LAV detects now the Quicksync decoder, same thing does not occur with the 64-bit version.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 18:33   #15243  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey /MAG/ View Post
But MP4 25i from my camcorder gives only 25 fps. I use QS and CUVID. QS gives 50 fps only in one case: if it is windowed mode with EVR Custom renderer in MPC-HC. If I use another renderer or use EVR Custom with
CUVID should be fixed in the next version, QS works just fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petran79 View Post
Regarding the Intel Quicksync feature and the latest LAV:

does it only support 32-bit version of LAV?
QuickSync works fine in 64-bit, something must be wrong in your system.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:58   #15244  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The only reason it would disable 50/60p internally is when it detects soft-telecine flags on the content, because it screws playback up if it doubles the frames.
I have a question about this. I was watching something that had telecine flags I think, and what was happening with the cuvid decoder was that it would bounce back and forth between 23.976 and 59.99 fps throughout the entire video with the cuvid decoder.

here is a sample:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1t...8rywyh/dex.zip

Is there something wrong with the way the file was muxed, or is it something with the cuvid decoder? can anything be done?

Last edited by mindbomb; 24th May 2013 at 19:25.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 19:01   #15245  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

That clip is simply mixed content, it seems to switch between soft and hard telecined all the time, its really quite terrible.
Old 24th May 2013, 21:27   #15246  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

QuickSync deinterlacing produces new (intermediate) frames with invalid time stamps (there's a dedicated invalid time stamp).
EVR doesn't care about this and interpolates them. Other renderers just drop those frames.
QS decoder has a feature to interpolate the time stamps but it's turned off in LAV because LAV controls the time stamps.
Currently the time stamp interpolation depends on knowing the frame rate, a feature that was always turned off in LAV as it may produce bad results (slow or jumpy video) in heavily broken clips. Halli media splitter was especially bad in this sense producing time stamps that fools the frame rate calculation completely off.
The internal (QS) time stamp calculation was also needed for proper handling of soft telecine (IVTC).

Having the renderer do deinterlacing is much more efficient and it uses the same HW (same video quality). It makes sense using QS DI for transcoding or adding subtitles (or almost any other video processing) after the decoder.
Intel Corp.

Last edited by egur; 24th May 2013 at 21:30.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 21:30   #15247  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

bVppEnableDITimeStampsInterpolation is turned on by LAV actually, if thats what you mean.

I didn't check if it actually produces timestamps or my own code fills them in, though.
Old 24th May 2013, 22:32   #15248  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
bVppEnableDITimeStampsInterpolation is turned on by LAV actually, if thats what you mean.

I didn't check if it actually produces timestamps or my own code fills them in, though.
It works fine in EVR and MadVR in normal clips. I fixed the frame interpolation behavior a while ago. Now it's independent. It uses frame rate information from the stream and doesn't try to guess it. If frame rate information is missing it will not interpolate time stamps.

The known issues are:
* 2:2 pulldown is not working in D3D9 decoding. Works in D3D11 (probably driver bug).
* Clips with soft inverse telecine look choppy as QS will not perform inverse telecine when bTimeStampCorrection is false. Most clips looks fine, only some have issues.

Users who use EVR-CP or any other low performing renderer are out of luck, it seems that it can't handle 60fps (on my system anyway). Users should try to play a 60fps progressive clip (no DI) and see if it works for them
Intel Corp.

Last edited by egur; 24th May 2013 at 22:35.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 10:04   #15249  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There was quite a discussion when YADIF got a bit slower recently because of a memory overread fix that made it less efficient, so here is something that will make YADIF quite a bit faster again, really faster than it has ever been (unless you're on a single core, i guess)

x86: http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-0.57-5-gde80953.zip
x64: http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...e80953-x64.zip

This version makes YADIF multi-threaded using slice-threading, meaning the image is split into several slices and processed in parallel.

In my tests, this makes YADIF 50-80% faster on my PC, your results may vary.

There are no options, it'll just be magically faster.
Old 25th May 2013, 12:03   #15250  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq963152 View Post
@ nevcairiel:

Just came across this:

Quote:
Why would anyone here care about linux?
LAV has supported 4K decoding on compatible NVIDIA hardware for a long time already, the Windows drivers have supported it just fine - just the linux VDPAU driver did not support it yet.
@wanezhiling and other PotPlayer users

Using LAV Video 0.57 in DXVA native mode by checking UHD option on VP5 video processor of my new signature card, can play EVERY H.264 video beyond Full HD (1920 x 1080) at more than 30 fps and up to 40 fps - depending on bitrate mostly.

There are a few exceptions of course like the notorious "duck" file @3860x2140 and 370Mbps! which is decoded @27 fps and another one I have @4096 x 2160 and 130Mbps which is decoded @29 fps.

But almost all of my 4K files can play real-time with that tiny little 35€ card

Users of PotPlayer's internal built-in DXVA native method and LAV video should use EVR renderer instead of EVR-CP default PotPlayer's renderer to achieve such performance using VP5 inside GT520=GT610 cards.

I don't know the performance of Kepler cards with VP5 and EVR-CP.

If you have to use EVR-CP, the performance drops significantly.

Maybe PotPlayer's developers should take a look at it...

Last edited by NikosD; 25th May 2013 at 12:09.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:14   #15251  |  Link
petran79

Quote:
QuickSync works fine in 64-bit, something must be wrong in your system.

thats what I've been wondering about.
though I seriously think that Intel forgot to add support for 64-bit version Quicksync decoding in 2nd gen Intel 3000 drivers.

they were never known for their driver quality.
Old 25th May 2013, 18:16   #15252  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
The Git repository "forgets" some intermediate Git revisions in the ffmpeg repository because they are not tagged, so rolling back to some arbitrary point in the past only really works for the release tags of ffmpeg (i made one tag for every lav release)
I'm sure git has a lot of amazing capabilities, but it's the most counter-intuitive piece of software I've ever dealt with, as a beginner.

Anyway, the problem I was going to track magically disappeared when updating to the lastest version, so no need to mess with git
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:16   #15253  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
though I seriously think that Intel forgot to add support for 64-bit version Quicksync decoding in 2nd gen Intel 3000 drivers.
While the drivers are not perfect, I have a HD3000 SNB and it works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
I'm sure git has a lot of amazing capabilities, but it's the most counter-intuitive piece of software I've ever dealt with, as a beginner.
Its my fault really because i'm messing with the history in that repository everytime i update ffmpeg, because i don't want a million tags for every small update, and stuff.
Its a compromise i accepted.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 25th May 2013 at 18:26.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 01:24   #15254  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Hmm, usually I make 1st track default, but this time I wanted track3 to be default. Is there any reason why LAV 0.57 still plays 1st track? Even if I mark track3 default+forced...
Did I misconfigured something? Tried some old haali (too lazy to hunt for the newest/beta/hacked whatever version) - it selects 3rd track.
UPD: it's probably obvious but I'm talking about mkv :P
UPD2: it does works for audio though

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 26th May 2013 at 01:34.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 07:39   #15255  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Probably just not implemented for video tracks, as different video tracks is not really a common thing.
Old 26th May 2013, 07:56   #15256  |  Link
pie

I have a bit of a strange problem, which is somewhat hard to replicate. When playing music using WMP, it will crash if playing a particular set of songs, and only if that set of songs is played; playing each file individually is fine, and so is playing subsets of those songs. By crash, I mean that it will simply quit with no warning or error.

In this set, there are 19 songs, of which 15 are MP3s, and the rest are AAC/mp4 files, with the MP3s being played before the AAC files. I believe that LAV is not used for playing the MP3s, but that the AAC files do use LAV splitter/decoder.

The crash will only occur after playing all songs, and occurs when playing the last AAC file, about 1-2 seconds in.

This only started to happen with recent versions, although I can't exactly pinpoint which version this started happening (maybe around the time of adding ordered chapters support?).
pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 16:42   #15257  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Probably just not implemented for video tracks, as different video tracks is not really a common thing.
Just checked avsplitter - it also selects the right track... is it hard to implement? Maybe just copypasted code from audio stream selection will work after little adjustments?
Edit: potplayer's internal splitter selects right track too... seems only LAV is behind the rest of the competition ^^

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 26th May 2013 at 16:51.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 16:58   #15258  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its not hard, a simply check to select the track with the default flag is easy. Not sure how forced on video would make much sense, so leaving that out for now.
Old 26th May 2013, 19:31   #15259  |  Link
petran79

Quote:
While the drivers are not perfect, I have a HD3000 SNB and it works just fine.
Having two gpus messes up the system...

I have a laptop with an optimus card (nvidia gt555m and intel 3000)

Lav 64 detects cuvid (nvidia gpu light flashes)
It also detects dvxa through intel card. Nvidia light doesnt flash. So lav detects the card but quicksync codec isnt detected

I'll also try the 64 ffdshow tryouts.
I installed lav through klite, so i'll try a clean installation of lav this time.
Not a big deal really.
Old 26th May 2013, 23:33   #15260  |  Link
Nekomata

Quote:
Having two gpus messes up the system...

I have a laptop with an optimus card (nvidia gt555m and intel 3000)

Lav 64 detects cuvid (nvidia gpu light flashes)
It also detects dvxa through intel card. Nvidia light doesnt flash. So lav detects the card but quicksync codec isnt detected

I'll also try the 64 ffdshow tryouts.
I installed lav through klite, so i'll try a clean installation of lav this time.
Not a big deal really.
exactly same configuration here: gt555m and intel 3000, lg laptop
what i have found is using nvidia control panel to set potplayer (one of few players you can switch the graphics) and use nvidia on it, it works correctly with cuda and lav filter
Nekomata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter