Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th August 2013, 18:10   #19781  |  Link
sneaker_ger

To be more precise: the new XySubFilter does not interfere with DXVA decoding, because it does not sit between the video decoder and madVR in the DirectShow chain. The traditional xy-vsfilter still does not allow DXVA decoding and that will not change because of the design.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 19:49   #19782  |  Link
dansrfe

Ok, with the 50fps test pattern there are noticeable differences between the 100Hz monitor with smooth motion OFF and 60Hz monitor with smooth motion on. I can change the refresh rate on the other monitor that I have and it's been tested to be real.

I just wish I watched more 50fps material then... Wait, does deinterlacing video content from a pal dvd give 50fps back or does madVR throw away the other frames to maintain 25fps?

Last edited by dansrfe; 6th August 2013 at 20:04.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 20:18   #19783  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I just wish I watched more 50fps material then... Wait, does deinterlacing video content from a pal dvd give 50fps back or does madVR throw away the other frames to maintain 25fps?
Depends.

If it's 576i/25 then it should be deinterlaced to 576p/50, if deinterlacing is set up correctly. If it's 576p/25 then it should be either weaved to 576p/25 or deinterlaced to 576p/50. If the latter is done properly, every other frame will be identical to the preceding one.
Old 6th August 2013, 20:26   #19784  |  Link
TheElix

Regarding automatic display mode matching. I think it's bugged or I just use it incorrectly. "1080p23, 1080p25, 1080p29, 1080p50, 1080p59" is what I have there but it switches to 1080p23 on every video, even 25p or 30p. So even though source filter says the video is 29.970 or 59.940 it still switches to 23.976.
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 21:57   #19785  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Depends.

If it's 576i/25 then it should be deinterlaced to 576p/50, if deinterlacing is set up correctly. If it's 576p/25 then it should be either weaved to 576p/25 or deinterlaced to 576p/50. If the latter is done properly, every other frame will be identical to the preceding one.
By weaving are you referring to setting the deinterlacement mode to "film" and having a 2:2 cadence with 25fps film material?
Old 6th August 2013, 21:58   #19786  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.86.11 released
* added import functionality for eeColor 3dlut files
Does this mean that I can use CalMAN to create LUTs for madVR now? (I have no idea if it needs to be connected to an eeColor LUT box to create LUTs for it, or if it can just use the PC generator)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 21:59   #19787  |  Link
dansrfe

Also madshi, not sure if this is an actual bug but having more than one madVR instance running in overlay mode causes subsequent instances to now show anything other than a black screen.
Old 6th August 2013, 22:05   #19788  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
No bug, DXVA decoding has been working fine for a while now. Not that I recommend using it. I prefer software decoding...
why is that?
Old 6th August 2013, 22:19   #19789  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElix View Post
Regarding automatic display mode matching. I think it's bugged or I just use it incorrectly. "1080p23, 1080p25, 1080p29, 1080p50, 1080p59" is what I have there but it switches to 1080p23 on every video, even 25p or 30p. So even though source filter says the video is 29.970 or 59.940 it still switches to 23.976.
Make sure you only enter modes which really exist. 1080p29 is not a mode commonly used, I rather doubt your GPU actually supports it (without a custom resolution). If you still think there's a problem, upload a debug log and I can tell you why madVR did what it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Does this mean that I can use CalMAN to create LUTs for madVR now?
Yes. At least in theory. I don't have a Calman license, so I can't test it. I tested it with eeColor LUTs created by ArgyllCMS and cross checked that LightSpace eeColor LUTs have the same format. So I suppose it should also work for Calman.

However, Calman does not support the madVR test pattern generator yet, so you'll need to use a different way to do the measurements. Obviously, it would be nice if Calman supported the madVR test pattern generator. They did express interest in maybe adding support for it. But I guess only if licensed Calman customers are actually asking for it, they will actually do something...

So, all Calman customers who're interested in having Calman support the madVR test pattern generator, now would be a good time to ask them about it.

Quote:
Also madshi, not sure if this is an actual bug but having more than one madVR instance running in overlay mode causes subsequent instances to now show anything other than a black screen.
Known problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
why is that?
Because software decoding is faster (if you have a decent CPU) and more reliable. No stupid limits like max number of reference frames, no hardware decoding bugs, no bluescreens or crashes etc...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 23:28   #19790  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
By weaving are you referring to setting the deinterlacement mode to "film" and having a 2:2 cadence with 25fps film material?
Yes, that is "weave" deinterlacing.

My nVidia GPUs do this automatically so I can leave MadVR (or CUVID) deinterlacing all the time and 25p material doesn't lose any resolution when output as 50p. Apparently some GPUs don't handle 2:2 cadence properly though - for these cards, MadVR must be set to "film mode" to avoid resolution loss.
Old 7th August 2013, 19:00   #19791  |  Link
makakam

I have my panny vt30 calibrated with i1d, calman and calman pc pattern generator. Do I enable "disable gpu gamma ramps" option or leave it disabled?
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 20:50   #19792  |  Link
Acetyl

Not sure if this is a bug report, an intended behavior, or neither. But I thought I'd report it nonetheless.

MadVR's smooth motion seems to produce a constant blurring when video fps is extremely close to (or slightly above) the refresh rate. (eg 59.94 on an ~59hz monitor). The video plays smoothly with no visible hitching without it however. (In the case of credits or the like, it makes them less clear to read, as an example)

Last edited by Acetyl; 7th August 2013 at 20:57.
Acetyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 20:54   #19793  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetyl View Post
Not sure if this is a bug report, an intended behavior, or neither. But I thought I'd report it nonetheless.

MadVR's smooth motion seems to produce a constant blurring when video fps is extremely close to (or slightly above) the refresh rate. (eg 59.94 on an ~59hz monitor). The video plays smoothly with no visible hitching without it however.
madshi has mentioned that smoothmotion doesn't work well when the source fps is close to the output refresh rate. That's may be why.

Last edited by dansrfe; 7th August 2013 at 20:57.
Old 7th August 2013, 21:09   #19794  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makakam View Post
I have my panny vt30 calibrated with i1d, calman and calman pc pattern generator. Do I enable "disable gpu gamma ramps" option or leave it disabled?
How exactly did you do the calibration? Did you create an eeColor box 3dlut and loaded that into madVR? Or what did you do exactly? I can't answer your question without knowing what you did exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetyl View Post
MadVR's smooth motion seems to produce a constant blurring when video fps is extremely close to (or slightly above) the refresh rate. (eg 59.94 on an ~59hz monitor). The video plays smoothly with no visible hitching without it however. (In the case of credits or the like, it makes them less clear to read, as an example)
I don't really recommend activating smooth motion FRC when your refresh rate is near to the movie framerate. Although it does make everything smooth and gets rid of any stutter, it does come at a certain price (loss of sharpness) in that situation. The higher your refresh rate and the lower your movie framerate, the less sharpness you will lose.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 21:40   #19795  |  Link
Acetyl

Quote:
I don't really recommend activating smooth motion FRC when your refresh rate is near to the movie framerate. Although it does make everything smooth and gets rid of any stutter, it does come at a certain price (loss of sharpness) in that situation. The higher your refresh rate and the lower your movie framerate, the less sharpness you will lose.
I see. The issue is this file is VFR, so it switches from 23.976 to 59.94 midway.

I doubt it'd be this simple of a matter, but out of curiosity, would it be possible to add a side option for, or a conditional check in the "only if there would be judder without it" setting?
Acetyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 22:04   #19796  |  Link
makakam

Quote:
How exactly did you do the calibration? Did you create an eeColor box 3dlut and loaded that into madVR? Or what did you do exactly? I can't answer your question without knowing what you did exactly...

I just used calman pattern generator installed on my htpc along with calman v4 on my laptop. Only tv's setting were altered, I didn't create luts and in madVR I have "this display is already calibrated" option enabled and now that gamma ramp option is what makes me wonder.
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 22:44   #19797  |  Link
Mikey2

Hi all, and thanks again for still supporting/enhancing this awesome renderer.

I have a couple quick questions concerning xy-SubFilter.

1) Someone mentioned another thread on this topic. I could not find it. Can someone please send a link of the thread so I do not further cross-post.

2) I can render embedded subs, but not external ones. Previously I played external .srt files by putting the srt file in the same folder as the mkv and renaming so both files match. This is not working with xy-SubFilter. Am I missing anything? (I suppose I can mux them back into the same mkv, but I don't think I should have to do that.)

3) Previously, I mapped MPC-HC keyboard shortcuts to easily toggle subs on/off, switch between subs, etc. Naturally this no longer, works, but is there even rudimentary hotkey support for this in xy-SubFilter (or even madVR if it has access?)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mike
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 22:46   #19798  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
1) Someone mentioned another thread on this topic. I could not find it. Can someone please send a link of the thread so I do not further cross-post.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 23:35   #19799  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
2) I can render embedded subs, but not external ones. Previously I played external .srt files by putting the srt file in the same folder as the mkv and renaming so both files match. This is not working with xy-SubFilter. Am I missing anything? (I suppose I can mux them back into the same mkv, but I don't think I should have to do that.)
Did you remember to install it via the installer or regsvr32? madVR is in charge of loading XySubFilter Beta for external subtitles, but the registry key madVR requires isn't written unless you install. Otherwise, if you are using Windows 8 or have renamed mpc-hc.exe, you may need to update your MPC-HC build.

Quote:
3) Previously, I mapped MPC-HC keyboard shortcuts to easily toggle subs on/off, switch between subs, etc. Naturally this no longer, works, but is there even rudimentary hotkey support for this in xy-SubFilter (or even madVR if it has access?)
MPC-HC for some reason has never supported those hotkeys with VSFilter, and XySubFilter uses the same API. The only hotkey which functions is "S" for Next Subtitle, with the rest only functioning with the MPC-HC ISR.

I'd recommend grabbing a MPC-BE nightly build, if you want more functional media player support for xy-VSFilter and XySubFilter.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 04:15   #19800  |  Link
moshmothma

Quote:
But I guess only if licensed Calman customers are actually asking for it, they will actually do something...

So, all Calman customers who're interested in having Calman support the madVR test pattern generator, now would be a good time to ask them about it.

This is the response I got when asking about Calman support for madvr...

We will it's just a matter of priorities at the moment. We are working on getting CalMAN 5.2 ready for IBC and CEDIA. The new features and hardware updates are already slated for CalMAN 5.2
moshmothma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling