Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 2nd September 2008, 14:04   #6021  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
I got the core dts from a dts-hd source. (-core) option is working for dts as well..

I mentioned this so that this info can be added to the wiki (where only the DTS-extraction is mentioned).
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:11   #6022  |  Link
yonta

Quote:
I mentioned this so that this info can be added to the wiki (where only the DTS-extraction is mentioned).
-core option is only for DTS core extraction.
AC3 track from a Blu-ray TrueHD/AC3 stream can be extracted by a simple command like below.

Code:
eac3to xxxxx.m2ts 3: target.ac3
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:26   #6023  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonta View Post
-core option is only for DTS core extraction.
AC3 track from a Blu-ray TrueHD/AC3 stream can be extracted by a simple command like below.

Code:
eac3to xxxxx.m2ts 3: target.ac3
Ah, i see. That explains why my use of -core worked, because I used target.ac3 offcourse
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:28   #6024  |  Link
rack04

How does eac3to retreive the version of mkvtoolnix that is installed? I have updated to the latest beta and it still complains that a new version exists. Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:41   #6025  |  Link
yonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
How does eac3to retreive the version of mkvtoolnix that is installed? I have updated to the latest beta and it still complains that a new version exists. Thanks.
This was answered a few pages back.

I also have the latest beta(Aug 21).

Code:
f:\Movie.Utilz\MKVtoolnix>mkvmerge.exe --version
mkvmerge v2.2.0 ('Turn It On Again') built on Aug 19 2008 15:59:25
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:35   #6026  |  Link
rica

Hi madshi, how would you edit wiki, i really wonder?

Especially after the latest versions?
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:19   #6027  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Hi madshi, how would you edit wiki, i really wonder?

Especially after the latest versions?
The wiki is basically developed by me, not madshi. Everyone is welcome to contribute, of course. That's why it is in the wiki in the first place. I would appreciate if you contact me (by pm) if you are willing to contribute.

Last edited by nautilus7; 2nd September 2008 at 20:22.
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:25   #6028  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
The wiki is basically developed by me, but of course everyone is welcome to contribute. That's why it is in the wiki in the first place. I would appreciate if you contact me (by pm) if you are willing to contribute.
Cograts, it is really a very good job

It would be great plasure to me to contribute but i have to do my homework first; i'll contact you.

Thanks again
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:31   #6029  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Cograts, it is really a very good job

It would be great pleasure to me to contribute but i have to do my homework first; i'll contact you.

Thanks again
Thank you. I 've been busy also, that's why it's not so up-to date.
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:35   #6030  |  Link
odin24

Demuxing with eac3to vs. tsMuxeR

Are there any benefits to demuxing/remuxing with eac3to vs. tsMuxeR? I've been using tsMuxeR lately and demuxing through the MPLS file, this way I am ensured all multiple files (if any) are appended properly. I also have no interest muxing to mkv, only m2ts or Blu-ray.

I have also found eac3to an more GUI pretty useful... which uses tsMuxeR.

Thanks, O.
Old 3rd September 2008, 03:00   #6031  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin24 View Post
Are there any benefits to demuxing/remuxing with eac3to vs. tsMuxeR? I've been using tsMuxeR lately and demuxing through the MPLS file, this way I am ensured all multiple files (if any) are appended properly. I also have no interest muxing to mkv, only m2ts or Blu-ray.

I have also found eac3to an more GUI pretty useful... which uses tsMuxeR.

Thanks, O.
The answer will be:
TSMuxer needs eac3to's help always but eac3to doesn't need any help of TSMuxer.
More job in one step...

To me, eac3to is a video demuxer, audio demuxer-converter while TSMuxer is just a muxer anymore... (it is my opinion after the latest updates of eac3to)

_ _ _ _ _

Last edited by rica; 3rd September 2008 at 03:17.
Old 3rd September 2008, 04:55   #6032  |  Link
odin24

Quote:
The answer will be:
TSMuxer needs eac3to's help always but eac3to doesn't need any help of TSMuxer.
More job in one step...

To me, eac3to is a video demuxer, audio demuxer-converter while TSMuxer is just a muxer anymore... (it is my opinion after the latest updates of eac3to)

_ _ _ _ _
Great, a few more questions.
1. How does tsMuxeR need eac3to's help?
2. does decoding take place during demuxing or just converting?
3. Is quality comprimised when using tsMuxeR over eac3to, or is it just the same since tsMuxeR uses the help of eac3to?

Thanks again, O.
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:58   #6033  |  Link
nautilus7

Main advantage of using eac3to over tsmuxer is with seamless branching Blu-rays. Those movies are split among multiple .m2ts files from which audio can overlap a little bit. This means that just joining them together (what tsmuxer does) will result in audio-video sync problems. On the contrary, eac3to is the only program available that can remove overlapping parts of the audio streams. So, I suggest treating your seamless Blu-rays with eac3to as first step.

Regarding quality between tsmuxer and eac3to (in removing pulldown, for example - not sure if tsmuxer can do that), don't know where tsmuxer stands, but I can tell for sure that eac3to is perfect. So, to put it simple... using eac3to you don't loose anything.
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:27   #6034  |  Link
odin24

Quote:
Main advantage of using eac3to over tsmuxer is with seamless branching Blu-rays. Those movies are split among multiple .m2ts files from which audio can overlap a little bit. This means that just joining them together (what tsmuxer does) will result in audio-video sync problems. On the contrary, eac3to is the only program available that can remove overlapping parts of the audio streams. So, I suggest treating your seamless Blu-rays with eac3to as first step.

Regarding quality between tsmuxer and eac3to (in removing pulldown, for example - not sure if tsmuxer can do that), don't know where tsmuxer stands, but I can tell for sure that eac3to is perfect. So, to put it simple... using eac3to you don't loose anything.
Great, thanks for the input. I'm fairly new when comes to anything outside of audio conversion using eac3to. Is there any good guides or how-to's for eac3to? I see the link below but the link will not open.

Thanks, O
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:33   #6035  |  Link
odin24

Hey nautilus7, have a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Nautilus7

Nothing comes up on a search either.

Last edited by odin24; 3rd September 2008 at 08:35.
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:35   #6036  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Demuxing with eac3to vs. tsMuxeR:

(1) As nautilus7 said, eac3to fixes audio overlaps in seamless branching titles. tsMuxeR does not (AFAIK).

(2) eac3to automatically detects and fixes audio delays (when the audio stream begins earlier/later than the video stream). I don't know if tsMuxeR does that.

(3) eac3to automatically removes MPEG2, VC-1 and h264 pulldown from HD DVD video streams (29.97 -> 23.976). I'm not sure whether tsMuxeR does that, too. I've seen people reporting that they get stuttering problems with VC-1 movies when using tsMuxeR, only. Those people used vc1conv to remove the VC-1 pulldown and that fixed the problem for them. Now eac3to does the same thing as vc1conv for VC-1 streams. Also eac3to does the same thing as h264info for h264 streams.

(4) eac3to can transcode/modify HD DVD audio streams (e.g. E-AC3, TrueHD) to make them Blu-Ray/m2ts compatible. tsMuxeR can't do that. At least that's where tsMuxeR needs the help of eac3to.
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:41   #6037  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin24 View Post
Hey nautilus7, have a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Nautilus7

Nothing comes up on a search either.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/eac3to (it's not finished... yet)

It was originally located in Wikipedia, but I received a warning/notification that the page didn't fit in Wikipedia. That's why I migrated it to Wikibooks.

Last edited by nautilus7; 3rd September 2008 at 08:46.
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:46   #6038  |  Link
odin24

Quote:
Yeah, that was a warning/notification that the eac3to page didn't fit in Wikipedia. That's why I migrated to Wikibooks (a long time ago).
Oops, kinda new here. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi

(1) As nautilus7 said, eac3to fixes audio overlaps in seamless branching titles. tsMuxeR does not (AFAIK).

(2) eac3to automatically detects and fixes audio delays (when the audio stream begins earlier/later than the video stream). I don't know if tsMuxeR does that.

(3) eac3to automatically removes MPEG2, VC-1 and h264 pulldown from HD DVD video streams (29.97 -> 23.976). I'm not sure whether tsMuxeR does that, too. I've seen people reporting that they get stuttering problems with VC-1 movies when using tsMuxeR, only. Those people used vc1conv to remove the VC-1 pulldown and that fixed the problem for them. Now eac3to does the same thing as vc1conv for VC-1 streams. Also eac3to does the same thing as h264info for h264 streams.

(4) eac3to can transcode/modify HD DVD audio streams (e.g. E-AC3, TrueHD) to make them Blu-Ray/m2ts compatible. tsMuxeR can't do that. At least that's where tsMuxeR needs the help of eac3to.
Great information, I'm liking this thread more and more. Time to start reading the novella that is this thread.
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:34   #6039  |  Link
baudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

How can I make a compatible audio stream from an E-AC3 track to a DD+ Blu-Ray compatible? (i.e. command line)

Thank you very much Madshi.
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:55   #6040  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudi View Post
How can I make a compatible audio stream from an E-AC3 track to a DD+ Blu-Ray compatible? (i.e. command line)
eac3to source.eac3 dest.ac3
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to