Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 2nd October 2007, 11:22   #981  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
hm I need some of the last sections for fear & loathing for syncing, so it wont work for me at least for this movie. But I could just mux it into .mka additionally and then sync it from there and then apply the delay to the .flac file and delete the .mka. flac muxed in mka has still exactly the same delay as before, has it? or could there be some differences because of that putting into the container?
Yeah, that should work. I think the delay should be the same inside mka as it is outside. Well, if not, you'll find out soon enough...
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:27   #982  |  Link
ACrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
This must be something like the twentiest release in the last few days. I will slow down soon, though. Just doing the necessary bugfixes and then I'll take a little break.

eac3to v1.21 released

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Code:
* bugfix: 2 channel DTS files were not accepted
* added: DTS-ES 6.1 support
* added: DTS-HD High Resolution Matrix 5.1 support
* added: DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 support
The discrete 6.1 DTS formats only have one additional channel, opposed to LPCM tracks who have two channels (which are identical, though). To keep everything more or less similar, eac3to is doubling the 6th channel, so that 6.1 DTS tracks end up being 7.1. Of course you can use the "-down6" parameter to limit output to 5.1.

If you find any further DTS or DTS-HD tracks which eac3to is still not accepting, please send me a small sample.
WOW ! Perfect

Until eac3to there was no To0l which decodes 6.1 dts to 7 mono waves

Madhsi ,i think Sonic Decoder is Refertnce Decoder ,right ?
So ,for the max Quality its perfect for all DTS decodes i think so ?
I mean it should be similar or better in Quality compared with Tranzcode or NicDTSSource or Foobar ?

Mh..i will take it for all my dts in the future

@zelos
Riddick HDDVD has a standard dts File...you can take without any change

@nautilus
Tranzcode use no DRC on dts decoding by default.
But for AC3 tranzcode applies DRC ,but no DialNorm.

Last edited by ACrowley; 2nd October 2007 at 11:40.
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:43   #983  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACrowley View Post
i think Sonic Decoder is Refertnce Decoder ,right ?
Yes, I think so.

Quote:
So ,for the max Quality its perfect for all DTS decodes i think so ?
As far as I can say: Yes.

Quote:
I mean it should be similar or better in Quality compared with Tranzcode or NicDTSSource or Foobar ?
Yep. FWIW, I've compared DTS decoding with Nero, Sonic and Ac3Filter. Nero and Sonic decodes were identical to the last bit! Probably both are using the DTS reference code. Ac3Filter was too loud. I reencoded the Ac3Filter with Surcode and decoded it again with Ac3Filter. The peaks got bigger and bigger! So definitely too loud. With Sonic the volume stayed the same even with an additional Sonic -> Surcode -> Sonic step.

One thing to note: For DTS Discrete 6.1 decoding you may need to manually set OS settings to 7.1 speakers. Otherwise Sonic might only output 5.1. I'll work around that with the next eac3to build. The OS settings will then not matter, anymore.
Old 2nd October 2007, 13:17   #984  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

have a bit of a problem with an eac3 -> flac commentary track in media player classic. the track is DD+ 2.0 192kbps 24-bit and plays fine in an outside .mka file along the movie .mkv but when muxing it into the .mkv file and selecting it via filters -> pathnamefilename -> commentary track, the playback of both, video and audio is suddenly accelerated, the video is running with ~40fps and sound has mickey mouse voices (muxed video with timecodes to 23.9760239). again everything is fine with the normal 5.1 eac3 -> flac track (wasnt even delay needed), but as soon as I switch to the commentary track inside the .mkv this happens. tried both, coreflac and also ffdshow audio decoder, but same result.
Old 2nd October 2007, 15:42   #985  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
have a bit of a problem with an eac3 -> flac commentary track in media player classic. the track is DD+ 2.0 192kbps 24-bit and plays fine in an outside .mka file along the movie .mkv but when muxing it into the .mkv file and selecting it via filters -> pathnamefilename -> commentary track, the playback of both, video and audio is suddenly accelerated, the video is running with ~40fps and sound has mickey mouse voices (muxed video with timecodes to 23.9760239). again everything is fine with the normal 5.1 eac3 -> flac track (wasnt even delay needed), but as soon as I switch to the commentary track inside the .mkv this happens. tried both, coreflac and also ffdshow audio decoder, but same result.
That's weird. I mean if it works inside the .mka file why doesn't it work in the .mkv file? mka and mkv are really the same. Can't explain it...
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:20   #986  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

found a little workaround for my truehd syncing problem with fear & loathing. I also demuxed the english 5.1dd+ stream and compared the length of both tracks. I guess the difference is the delay I need then for my trueHD track. at least I guess its now the same as to be observed with the original evo. still, even that seems to bit off sometimes there are lot of scenes in that movie where the delay could be +100ms more as well. if it wasnt for that eac3 track I would have had to guess forever.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 2nd October 2007 at 23:25.
Old 3rd October 2007, 02:40   #987  |  Link
nautilus7

@ madshi

May i suggest to add .ac3 decoding to .wav(s)? I think this would be good as eac3to can all other conversions, except this one. Then, eac3to will become the most complete audio tool.
Old 3rd October 2007, 07:55   #988  |  Link
ACrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
@ madshi

May i suggest to add .ac3 decoding to .wav(s)? I think this would be good as eac3to can all other conversions, except this one. Then, eac3to will become the most complete audio tool.
yeah, but imho there are enough 100% perfect working Methods/Tools

Behappy-NicAsC3Source / Azid etc..

@Madhsi
Yep. i noticed too that AC3Filter DTS decodes are to loud! Peaks are louder compared with any other decoder.
This is not DialNorm related ..its simply to loud
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:11   #989  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
found a little workaround for my truehd syncing problem with fear & loathing. I also demuxed the english 5.1dd+ stream and compared the length of both tracks. I guess the difference is the delay I need then for my trueHD track. at least I guess its now the same as to be observed with the original evo. still, even that seems to bit off sometimes there are lot of scenes in that movie where the delay could be +100ms more as well. if it wasnt for that eac3 track I would have had to guess forever.
With "length" you mean the runtime, I guess? I'm not sure if that is a reliable way to find out delay. Especially if the E-AC3 track is not in sync, either (which happens on some HD DVDs). But it might be a good starting point, so that afterwords only fine tuning is needed?
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:14   #990  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
yeah, but imho there are enough 100% perfect working Methods/Tools

Behappy-NicAsC3Source / Azid etc..
Yes, but it would be perfect if there is an all-in-one tool. I 'm not complaining though, eac3to is very good.
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:15   #991  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
The main problem with that is that all reference AC3 decoders are usually applying DRC when being used outside of their native player software. So if I added AC3 decoding support through Sonic's or Nero's AC3 decoder, we'd end up with DRC. Of course I could use AC3Filter or a similar open source decoder. That way I could probably get around DRC, but then that wouldn't be the reference decoder and there are lots of other tools which do it that way.
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:34   #992  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
With "length" you mean the runtime, I guess? I'm not sure if that is a reliable way to find out delay. Especially if the E-AC3 track is not in sync, either (which happens on some HD DVDs). But it might be a good starting point, so that afterwords only fine tuning is needed?
at least the ac3 track seemed to be in sync, cant say if he is 100%, its just too difficult for that movie.
another question, when just opening one of the 2 single .evo files and checking the sound from there, could it also be possible that theres a little delay then, so that its basically only 100% accurate when starting the complete movie 'normally'. or are the delays, when just opening the evo files seperately, also always accurate?
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:44   #993  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
at least the ac3 track seemed to be in sync, cant say if he is 100%, its just too difficult for that movie.
another question, when just opening one of the 2 single .evo files and checking the sound from there, could it also be possible that theres a little delay then, so that its basically only 100% accurate when starting the complete movie 'normally'. or are the delays, when just opening the evo files seperately, also always accurate?
I'm not sure about that. I'm always first joining the movie and muxing it to MKV before I sync the audio tracks.
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:58   #994  |  Link
TheSof

Using the latest eac3to, to go from supermanreturns.thd to flac, it gave an flac with a different runtime:

thd 2:34
flac 2:47

Same with V for Vendetta, an extra 10mins.

With v1.17 (i think thats the version, the one where it didn't to 16bit, had dial norm) the runtimes were the same. I can't test it at the moment, but why would this be?

Last edited by TheSof; 3rd October 2007 at 13:12.
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:05   #995  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. I'm always first joining the movie and muxing it to MKV before I sync the audio tracks.
I just asked because I always used that single original .evo file as syncing reference. but in case this could out of sync too, I would always try to sync my remuxes wrong then -.-
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:29   #996  |  Link
honai

@madshi

Well, if you added "native" AC3 decoding I might be tempted to create a GUI that incorporates all the latest features of your tool.

Old 3rd October 2007, 16:26   #997  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSof View Post
Using the latest eac3to, to go from supermanreturns.thd to flac, it gave an flac with a different runtime:

thd 2:34
flac 2:47

Same with V for Vendetta, an extra 10mins.

With v1.17 (i think thats the version, the one where it didn't to 16bit, had dial norm) the runtimes were the same. I can't test it at the moment, but why would this be?
Can't imagine that there'd be a difference between v1.17 and v1.18. Except if you fed the EVO file into v1.17 instead of the demuxed file? Please check if the 2:47 FLAC stays in sync throughout the movie (after you applied the eventually necessary static delay). Maybe the 2:47 has some extra seconds of silence at the end or beginning of the movie? Don't know...
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:27   #998  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I just asked because I always used that single original .evo file as syncing reference. but in case this could out of sync too, I would always try to sync my remuxes wrong then -.-
The first EVO part should be in sync. But I'm not sure about the 2nd part.
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:28   #999  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
Well, if you added "native" AC3 decoding I might be tempted to create a GUI that incorporates all the latest features of your tool.
Are there important features missing in The_Keymaker's GUI? I've no idea, I'm always using the command line, only...

Maybe I'll add AC3 decoding if I find a way to disable DRC in a reference decoder. That would be worthwhile. But it will be a while before I invest time into that. I've spent too much time on eac3to lately.
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:32   #1000  |  Link
honai

Quote:
Are there important features missing in The_Keymaker's GUI? I've no idea, I'm always using the command line, only...
His latest version is missing some command-line parameters.

Quote:
Maybe I'll add AC3 decoding if I find a way to disable DRC in a reference decoder.
Yes, that's the idea.

By the way, do you have plans to implement STDIN streaming for the source?

Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to