Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th November 2011, 10:46   #10881  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
For a comparison: "Arial 10" rendered in madVR and in VMR9
The MPC-HC font setting has no influence whatsoever on madVR. MPC-HC just tells madVR to draw the text (just text, no formatting), and madVR then does using its default font.

PS:
regarding aliasing - its obviously easier to avoid if you have a square instead of something round.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:37   #10882  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymed View Post
Is there a way to turn off the "Exclusive/Windowed" message at the top left whenever control+shift is used? ( shows up for a few seconds )
I'm not getting this message anymore. Was it removed or am I just staying in Windowed mode when I go to full screen now? I used to see it but I haven't seen it in either Zoom Player or MPC-HC since v 0.77
Old 15th November 2011, 14:15   #10883  |  Link
iSeries

Hi Madshi,

Could you please check this log file: http://www.mediafire.com/?c5g5035cq4thwbp

MadVR is dropping crazy amounts of frames when playing index.bdmv or mpls files. Playing an m2ts directly or an mkv plays perfectly.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 17:39   #10884  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:

I much prefer the MPC-HC OSD. Calibri size 20. Clean, clear, beautiful. I wish madVR OSD was exactly like the MPC one. Just my opinion though. I know some people think the madVR OSD looks better.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:52   #10885  |  Link
hissatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
It should not have unregistered FFDSHOW either. The only think it does is add some registry entries about the custom profile to load but who knows, I've not uninstalled it to test!
I can confirm that it does unregister ffdshow on uninstall. Rather annoying behavior.
hissatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 17:57   #10886  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

BTW, deinterlacing cannot work on XPSP3 I guess? DXVA2 deinterlacing in LAVVideo gives instant BSOD's, so I didn't venture trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
I know some people think the madVR OSD looks better.
I know some ppl *HATE* OSD's

Last edited by leeperry; 15th November 2011 at 21:13.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 20:52   #10887  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hissatsu View Post
I can confirm that it does unregister ffdshow on uninstall. Rather annoying behavior.
Ill report it to them
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 22:52   #10888  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hissatsu View Post
Thanks, Prob has been confirmed and will be fixed.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 23:18   #10889  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
The "queues" version seems to fix it! All queues are equal to 0.77 and no dropped or delayed frames.
The other three versions are same as 0.78.

I noticed that this version is back to a decoder queue of 8. Interesting how that can affect the following queues when the decoder queue with 12 was always full too. Or did you change more than just the queue size in that special version?
The new v0.79 allows you to specify the queue sizes you want. Please double check whether 12/8 still makes problems. If so, you can experiment with other size combinations, too. Would be interesting to hear what you find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
Seems to work mostly as intended for Intel HD3000 but I've only tested with a MPEG2 60i SD source so far, MPC-HC DXVA decoder used.
Some unexpected behavior: When i hit ctrl+shift+alt+d I see no combing yet the annotation says de-interlacing is off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Log for "deinterlacing failed" message on Intel HD graphics: http://www.mediafire.com/?n8o0jz0umd4xqw1
I've tested v0.79 on my Sandy Bridge laptop and deinterlacing appears to work just fine. Tested with the 1080i60 Cheese Slices AVSForum test video. Can you please retest with v0.79?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
so what could be the cause that deinterlacing, at least for AVC, does not work smoothly, when the decoder queue is ~half full and GPU load is only at 75% max?
Quote:
radeon HD 4770. resolution of that video was 1080i. but its the same for a 1080p video for example. or with 720p or 320x200.
I've (for other reasons) replaced my HD 6850 with a HD 4770 today, and for me deinterlacing the 1080i60 Cheese Slices from AVSForum works just fine with the 4770, even with Lanczos4 up/downscaling. Not sure what's going on on your PC. Have you tried resetting madVR to default settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portioli View Post
I have some issues with PC Levels.

Using the Clipping Pattern of Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark

Test pattern could be found here

I tried this pattern using nVidia & ATI cards, in either case PC levels failed the test
Can you describe in more details what you were testing with which GPU and madVR settings? Also what did you expect to see and what did you actually see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltron View Post
I ran a couple of quick scenarios:
Aero ON
1080i Windowed: GPU=72% MB=889
1080i Exclusive: GPU=37% MB=955
24p Windowed: GPU=23% MB=541
24p Exclusive: GPU=11% MB=543

Aero OFF
1080i Windowed: GPU=56% MB=789
1080i Exclusive: GPU=34% MB=843
24p Windowed: GPU=22% MB=467
24p Exclusive: GPU=9% MB=406
Very good tests, thanks! Please retest with v0.79, which has significantly reduced the deinterlacing GPU RAM consumption, and also a bit the progressive GPU RAM consumption.

With v0.79 I think a 512MB GPU should be good enough for madVR. However, having 1024MB will allow you to double the queue sizes, when using v0.79.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portioli View Post
@madshi

i am really enjoying your 4K/MTF/35mm conversation in AVSforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
I have maybe a problem with the presentation queue... Now with 0.78 version presentation queue is 0-3/4, when 0.77 reports 3-4/4 all the time... I do not have any presentation qlitches or dropped frames thought... So, what is the problem, or is there any problem with ctrl+j reporting? I am using radeon hd 5650...
Please retry with v0.79. If it still occurs, try setting the queue sizes to 8 both.

Quote:
Not smooth. Every other frame is doubled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gser View Post
I am experiencing the same thing with my 5870. No bobbed deinterlacing.
I've now tried with both HD 6850 and HD 4770 in win7 x64 with the latest 11.10 drivers and I can't reproduce the problem. Deinterlacing works perfectly fine for me. I've tested with v0.79, though. So please retest with v0.79, too. But I don't have much hope right now. If it still fails for you with v0.79 then we'll have to do some more logging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Please have a look at this sample http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43376972/Mov...nterlacing.mkv
This is SD PAL movie (film content) in .mkv container.

If it is DXVA deinterlaced, we have a lot of shimmering and little movements (look at white roof and the combaine).
If DXVA deinterlacing is off (plain weaving?), picture is very stable.
Thanks, that's a good sample. I suppose the same image quality problems also occur with EVR, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
But it is film content, and when "deinterlacing is off" ((cntrl+alt+shift+d) picture is OK.
What do you mean by fake-interlaced? Any PAL film content in DVD is fake-interlaced? And DXVA deinterlacer can not detect film content?
The problem is that DXVA has to "do it all". It has to detect whether the content is video or film type and has to deinterlace correctly both types. Automatically, without user intervention. Add to that that DXVA has to do it *per pixel*. This is really difficult stuff and so it's understandable that it doesn't always work perfectly. Especially with PAL content it is really hard to get this right. With PAL movies probably your best bet is to try first to disable deinterlacing. If it looks fine, keep it that way. Otherwise enable deinterlacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuan View Post
When I paused the player with madVR 0.78 window (don't know about older version and I don't use exclusive mode), the MPCHC (tested on 3824) still uses 2-5% (Core i5-2400) on madVR thread. Is there something wrong? I'm using it with LAV Splitter and LAV Video 0.39.
That's a known problem for some users. Unfortunately it doesn't occur on my PC, so I don't know right now what to do about it. I've implemented a little change in v0.79, though, which *may* help (but I rather doubt it). So you can retest this with v0.79.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I sincerely cannot wait for madVR v1.0 so that I can donate for the continued development and support of this superior renderer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
If I'd known about MadVR I wouldn't have bought an upconverting DVD player when my old one broke down. I couldn't find a video player that gave me a satisfying picture on my HD display when I used my PC for DVD playback unless I used commercial DVD playback software, and they cost more than I spent on the upscaling stand-alone Sony player I ended up buying instead. But using MadVR with Zoom Player or MPC gives me a picture that easily rivals it. I'm not sure why Haali's didn't work. It's the picture render I was using for all my video files at the time and they looked great, but for some reason DVDs played back with Haali's looked very blurry.
Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I wonder if Madshi plans to create a paid build with extra features?
Not decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I have madvr set to present 12 frames in advance. The queue starts out at 11-12 then slowly over time it drops to about 1-3. Is this normal? I have a very fast pc btw so it should not be lack of power.
What about the other queues? Are they all full? Which GPU do you have? Which OS? Does this happen with both SD and HD content? With and without deinterlacing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
Also I seem to get a dropped frame or something every half an hour. But madvr does not report any dropped frames or glithces. Does this mean my tv is dropping frames? I have noticed it also happens sometimes with my blyray player. but not when wathing tv. Its a brand new samsung tv. seems strange that it can't show a simple movie without messing it up.
Normally madVR does report dropped frames reliably. It is possible that your TV expects a very specific refresh rate and drops or repeats a frame once in a while if the refresh rate it receives differs too much. You could try tuning your GPU's refresh rate to better match what your display wants.

Are you using Reclock? If so, try turning it off for a while and try to get madVR to work without any frame drops with Reclock turned off. That should help you get to the refresh rate your display wants. Once you're there, you can turn Reclock on again.

Of course I'm only guessing here. It's also possible that your TV is innocent and that frame gets dropped in your HTPC, without madVR noticing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Out of interest, is there any way to get madVR working with 3D Blu-rays?
Not yet. One of the many things on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I'm not sure if you've recently read this thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153191&page=6 but it is bringing up some interesting point about solving the whole DVD navigation situation and refresh rates so please take a look when you get a chance.
Looking into DVD playback is on my to do list. But I can only do one thing at a time. Please have patience until DVD playback is my top priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Regalo View Post
I seem to have a problem with minimizing MPC-HC and the video catching up to the audio. The audio also stops after a couple of mins when minimized.
Please try v0.79, I think it will fix this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek93j View Post
1)What exactly do the new parameter "scale linar light", when should i use it?
Scaling in linear light is scientifically more exact, but it comes at a small performance cost and also brings its own problems. I would suggest to leave it off for upscaling. Whether you want to use it for downscaling or not is your decision. Depends on how much you downscale. The bigger the downscaling factor the more sense linear light scaling makes. Personally, I have it generally turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek93j View Post
2)Use SoftCubic 70/80 for chroma upscaling look very good and it remove a lot of banding, i wonder if there is a way for obtain the same result with avisynth, maybe it can replace gradfun3 for lower bitrate encoding.

Edit: Sorry i didn't notice than it remove banding with any resize, anyway the "debanding" result look interesting to me.
madVR does not really "deband". What you're seeing may be a result of madVR's high bitdepth processing with a final dithering pass. This makes sure that no additional banding is added to the source. If you find that SoftCubic chroma upsampling helps image quality, you can suggest this to the AviSynth developer. It's a normal cubic kernel, just with slightly different parameters.

Quote:
So I do here.

I guess madVR doesn't apply a downsampling on the OSD. The background "box" looks aliased too (pixel stairs around the border).
madVR currently does not allow you to specify OSD size or font. I might add such features into a future version. But for now my priority is making madVR feature complete first. Cosmetical things like changing OSD looks is pretty low on my priority list right now. You'll have to wait a while until I get to these things, I'm sorry. I hope you'll agree that things like adding post processing shader support, DVD support, DXVA deinterlacing etc are much more important things compared to changing OSD font sizes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
I'm not getting this message anymore. Was it removed or am I just staying in Windowed mode when I go to full screen now? I used to see it but I haven't seen it in either Zoom Player or MPC-HC since v 0.77
It was not removed. If you don't get the message then probably you have exclusive mode disabled accidently? Or maybe it stopped working for you? You can check via Ctrl+J. It tells you whether madVR is in windowed or exclusive mode.

Quote:
I much prefer the MPC-HC OSD. Calibri size 20. Clean, clear, beautiful. I wish madVR OSD was exactly like the MPC one. Just my opinion though. I know some people think the madVR OSD looks better.
It's all a matter of taste, I guess. So in the end things like this may have to be customizable. But for now, I've more important things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
BTW, deinterlacing cannot work on XPS3 I guess? DXVA2 deinterlacing in LAVVideo gives instant BSOD's, so I didn't venture trying
It works perfectly fine with my HD 6850 and HD 4770 on XPSP3. Haven't tested NVidia on XPSP3 yet, but in theory it should work, too. LAVVideo does not deinterlace itself (unless you're using CUVID). Normally the renderer does the deinterlacing. CUVID is the exception.

So did you use CUVID? Or did you use software decoding?

It might be useful to cross test with EVR. Does DXVA2 deinterlacing work when using EVR on your PC? This only applies if you don't use CUVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi Madshi,

Could you please check this log file: http://www.mediafire.com/?c5g5035cq4thwbp

MadVR is dropping crazy amounts of frames when playing index.bdmv or mpls files. Playing an m2ts directly or an mkv plays perfectly.
According to the log file, the splitter outputs really bad timestamps. Often multiple frames get exactly the same timestamp. That's a splitter problem.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 23:19   #10890  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.79 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* modified deinterlacing logic to save GPU RAM
* added resource manager to save GPU RAM and a little bit of GPU performance
* added information about used / total GPU RAM to debug OSD (Ctrl+J)
* added new options to choose decoder and GPU queue sizes
* added automatic adjustment of queue sizes, based on GPU RAM size
* corrected queue sizes with deinterlacing turned on (size 1 too high in v0.78)
* improved deinterlacing quality at the start of playback and after seeks
* improved the way madVR calls DXVA2 (now more similar to EVR)
* moved some eventually CPU intensive code from render to separate thread
* optimized performance of DXVA2->PixelShader texture conversion for some GPUs
* optimized internal libav decoder format conversion logic
* movie frame rate overwrite via file name now also set deinterlacing on/off
* option "perform deinterlacing in separate thread" is now "on" by default
* MPC-HC OSD text "Pausa" is now blocked (to avoid disappearing subtitles)
* fixed: source cropping (J.River MC) could result in corrupted chroma channel
* fixed: IMediaSample allocator wasn't fit for decoder queue size of 12 frames
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 23:47   #10891  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Deinterlacing is now smooth!!
Old 16th November 2011, 00:09   #10892  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
Deinterlacing is now smooth!!
AWESOME! Isn't it. Madshi is a genius.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 00:15   #10893  |  Link
Xaurus

madshi,

Thank you so much for 0.79. I will install it tomorrow in my HTPC box.

PS: I really hope you have written down my request of adding a function that displays the refresh rate or the CTRL-J screen automatically only for a limited time when a video is opened (like 10 seconds). I am sometimes paranoid so I want to keep the refresh rate where it should be.
Old 16th November 2011, 00:17   #10894  |  Link
golagoda

Thanks so much for 0.79, will test it out
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 00:18   #10895  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

deinterlacing is also better here now. cant say if perfectly smooth yet, but Ill report back in case I encounter problems. at least the 2 movies Ive tested so far played back fine without frame drops.

anyway, that change of brightness in exclusive mode when activating deinterlacing is still there.

and, not sure whether I observed this correctly, at least in one movie when activating deinterlacing the movements of people sometimes appear to be a bit less smooth compared to when deinterlacing is deactivated (the video itself plays smooth though). not sure whether this is normal or why this is like that.

edit: that brightness shift seems to be related to the disable desktop composition box. when unticked, the change of brightness or colour is only very minor (probably thats normal?) but when ticked, then it really looks like a PC -> TV levels change. I'd like to be able to have that box ticked, because performance increases a little that way.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 16th November 2011 at 01:06.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 00:23   #10896  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
deinterlacing is also better here now. cant say if perfectly smooth yet, but Ill report back in case I encounter problems.

anyway, that change of brightness in exclusive mode when activating deinterlacing is still there.

and, not sure whether I observed this correctly, at least in one movie when activating deinterlacing the movements of people sometimes appear to be a bit less smooth compared to when deinterlacing is deactivated (the video itself plays smooth though). not sure whether this is normal or why this is like that.
Bobbed deinterlacing works perfectly for me but that does not mean that the deinterlacing methods provided by the GPU (which DXVA deinterlacing uses) are. One should expect to see some bob flickering and weaving artifacts once in a while depending on the complexity of the video (especially high motion parts where the difference between fields is large hence complicating the interpolation).
Old 16th November 2011, 00:25   #10897  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

hm so whats the difference here when it works perfectly for you, but apparently not (entirely perfectly) for me? a newer graphic card generation?
Old 16th November 2011, 00:27   #10898  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
hm so whats the difference here when it works perfectly for you, but apparently not (entirely perfectly) for me? a newer graphic card generation?
A clip of the material would help. Deinterlacing methods have not changed in many years. I'm using amd 5870. Basically the renderer only commands the GPU to deinterlace the material, the problem being before that MadVR did not for some reason understand bobbing hence only showed duplicates.
Old 16th November 2011, 00:30   #10899  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
hi madshi, whatever you did in this mrduckPankov build corrected this bug:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner
Here is a debug log. I start playing a video, minimize the player for 15 seconds, then bring it back up.
When bringing it back up, I clearly see the video going uber fast to catch up with the audio.
Did you say that you were using ZoomPlayer? I don't remember that. I tried to reproduce with MPC-HC. Anyway, the problem occurs with ZoomPlayer, but not with MPC-HC. Don't know why, will investigate...
Hi madshi, sadly this bug is back with 0.79 final. (1)

2. A small cosmetic bug : the settings window name changes from "madVR settings" to "pure power curve" when "color & gamma" page is selected. But it never goes back to being "madVR settings" when other settings page are selected afterwards.

3. The ZP/slow paint/freeze on seek bug after madVR frequency switch is still there.

Last edited by TheShadowRunner; 16th November 2011 at 00:50.
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 00:32   #10900  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
Both the quality and the GPU Load are back to v0.78 state
madshi,
you are THE MAN

with v0.79 you've managed to keep (or even improve for some) the quality and still lower the GPU Load by 3-4%. Now it's 75-76% with the same 1080i60 sample that was using 79-80% before.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling