Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th May 2005, 10:26   #1  |  Link
mossbergPump

problem centering subtitles in House of Flying Daggers

I'm using the poor man's dvd method of encoding svcd's with great results but I cannot seem to get the subtitles to center on the screen properly. I am macro block aligning to get optimal bitrate(I think that is what's happening, someone please correct me) Is there a way to block align everything except the subtitles? Perhaps a change in the avisynth script or the subtitle tab in dvd2svcd will accomplish this? Hopefully someone familiar with the poor man's dvd method will be able to answer this....thanks in advance
mossbergPump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 20:10   #2  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

i'm not sure this works for what you want as i'm not into svcd encoding and i never tried to align subtitles to macroblocks.
But if there is no way to move the subtitles a little with arguments passed to textsub (never tried..) i think the second quickest would probably be to pad the video on the left or right side by a bar a few pixel wide before the subtitle filter and remove the bar again right after the subtitle filter.
If this is done on the right side i guess it maybe doesn't even degrade processing speed as the actual byte array for a scanline may be wider that the "presented" image area. I wouldn't coumt on it tho..
Old 10th May 2005, 22:06   #3  |  Link
mossbergPump

I have read your reply but unfortunately don't know what you mean by "pad the video on the left or right side by a bar a few pixel wide before the subtitle filter and remove the bar again right after the subtitle filter." The subtitles are moved to the left of screen but not all the way and it really doesn't look that bad but I would like to move only the subtitles a little to the right(preserving macro block alignment of the rest of the picture) to have them as centered as possible...I'd appreciate if you can explain what I should do exactly as you have instructed above...thanks for your patience
Old 11th May 2005, 19:04   #4  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

addBorders(left=0,top=0,right=24,bottom=0)
textsub(mysubs.srt)
crop(left=0,top=0,right=-24,bottom=-0)

this should position a "centered" subtitle 12 pixels further to the [edit]right[/edit] than if you just used textsub(mysubs.srt) without the padding/cropping.
However, like i said, if you find ways to alter the positioning in the subtitling filter itself, use them, it should be faster than altering the frame dimensions.

Last edited by unmei; 11th May 2005 at 19:09.
unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 11:40   #5  |  Link
mossbergPump

I figured it out by accident and now the subtitles are centered....your method is just as effective so thanks a lot for your help