Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th May 2013, 16:53   #1  |  Link
osgZach

What's your "go-to" for grain reduction while preserving detail?

Kind of scratching my head on this. I'm looking for options though.

I am trying to encode my Jurassic Park BD down to a manageable size, although I don't want to do a 2-pass and restrict it that way. I'm worried that would destroy it more trying to achieve a target bitrate than just trying to scrub some of the grain out.

That being said, I did a CRF 18 encode w/x264 and the file size came out at an unexpected mere 1GB reduction from the source VC-1 stream (!). It's eating up a LOT of bitrate.

This is a very, very grainy film. Which I wasn't expecting because although I haven't watched it for a long time, I remember the image from VHS and DVD being a lot cleaner, while still sharp and with lots of detail.

I am currenty doing another test with HQDN3D (all ripbot offers) but I don't get much grain reduction before I start seeing detail loss (tires, Grants pant wrinkles) and would like to experiment with other filters.

Ideally a filter that focuses on the grain while removing a lot (I want -some- grain left) and not killing / oversmoothing the image as a whole. Something light on CPU (I already use brutal encoding settings) as well.

I usually do not degrain films (Inception somewhat grainy but jesus, that came out at 7.5GB w/audio.). So I have little experience in this area. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

(If folks want a couple clips to play around with, I will provide. Just ask.)

Last edited by osgZach; 20th May 2013 at 16:58.
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote