Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th August 2006, 21:42   #1  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

Notepad++ Avisynth Syntax Highlighting

I've been using Notepad++ for text file editing including Avisynth. Notepad++ is a great editor and GPL'ed for those of you that care.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/
It doesn't support syntax highlighting for Avisynth so I took the time to create a user defined language for Avisynth with all known internal and external plugin keywords and thought I would share it.

It should highlight most AviSynth functions and syntax. If you have any suggestions for improvements let me know.

Download the file (once it's approved) and put it in your user application data directory. For english language Windows users it's usually:
Code:
c:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Notepad++\
It's safe to overwrite the existing file as long has you don't have any other user defined languages.

* notepad plus plus for forum searchers
Attached Files
File Type: zip userDefineLang.zip (3.0 KB, 1962 views)

When wrestling alligators the gator only has to win once.
Read my Adventures In HDTV Capture Blog.
smokeslikeapoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 22:24   #2  |  Link
mod
keep manzo

Thanks! I'm a Notepad++ "addicted", I'm going to try it in the next days
Old 18th August 2006, 23:17   #3  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

tnx as well, will try at first avisynth session.

p.s. permission to mirror on my server?

Last edited by smok3; 18th August 2006 at 23:19.
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 00:05   #4  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

@smok3, you can mirror it, but be sure and subscribe to this thread so you will be notified of updates. I'm sure there's some keywords from external plugins that I've left out.

Old 19th August 2006, 06:19   #5  |  Link
dosdan

How do I get ".avi" & ".avsi" as files-of-type file-extension filters in the File | Open selection box? I tried using Settings | Preference | File Association | Customise and added .avi in the box next to Customise but could not get it to go acros to s the Registed Exts. column since the arrow was grayed out.
dosdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 06:31   #6  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

I don't know, I didn't have that problem. But the best way to register extensions I've found is to right click on the file. Go to "Open With" | Choose Program | select the program and make sure "Always use the selected program..." is checked.

Last edited by smokeslikeapoet; 19th August 2006 at 06:34.
Old 19th August 2006, 06:50   #7  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but for those interested, VirtualDubMoD's Script Editor (CTRL+E) provides some excellent syntax highlighting and keyboard shortcuts and that's what I have been using lately. Especially when you are scripting your avs and want to see the goodness (or badness :-p) as you go, all it takes is an F5 (or F7) and et voilą!

..and I have tried 'em all - notepad.exe to AVSEdit.
Old 19th August 2006, 22:42   #8  |  Link
Melanchthon

Quote:
Originally Posted by unskinnyboy
Not to hijack your thread or anything, but for those interested, VirtualDubMoD's Script Editor (CTRL+E) provides some excellent syntax highlighting and keyboard shortcuts and that's what I have been using lately.
I use that almost exclusively. Possibly the single most useful thing about it is that commented text becomes greyed-out.

Not much use if you don't use VirtualDubMod though.

Are there any screenshots available of this? Also, when you say user-defined language, does that mean you can add any filter name you like? I tend to avoid putting things in the plugins folder (it's getting kind of full), so most of the functions I use don't show up unless VDM thinks they're a misspelling.

Highlighting of defined clips (clp1, clp2, clpmask, or whatever naming scheme you use) would be a neat feature as well, if it can't already do it.
Melanchthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 23:36   #9  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

With my plugin for notepad++ internal filters turn blue when called, external ones are brown, comments are small italicized green. The thing that I don't like is that everything in parentheses turns blue. Numbers should be read but if they are inside the parens they aren't recognized. From the screenshot you can tell I missed a external filter function, YV12InterlacedReduceBy2At60(0).

You can edit the user defined language yourself by clicking View | User Define Dialog | then select the Avisynth from the drop down menu.

Old 23rd August 2006, 03:08   #10  |  Link
vcmohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeslikeapoet

Download the file (once it's approved) and put it in your user application data directory. For english language Windows users it's usually:
Code:
c:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Notepad++\
It's safe to overwrite the existing file as long has you don't have any other user defined languages.
I have downloaded both Notepad++ and your userdefinelang.zip. On installation I could not activate your userdefinelang at all. In my Documents Settings folder thereis no Application data folder. So I created one and tried. It did not work. I then placed this file in Notepad++ folder under program files. It did not work. Then I tried copying your file in to the lang.xml file. It did not show up as an additional language. Then I tried creating a separate user defined 'mylang' file using the Notepad++ just to know where such a file is kept. I could not locate at all anywhere eventhough it is shown in the lower part of the languages dropdown list. So now I can not get rid of it. What should I do to activate your file?
My system is AMD XP 2000+ 512mb Ram, windows xp pro.
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:40   #11  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

Try uninstalling notepad++. Make sure the uninstallation deletes the "program files\notepad++" directory and the application data directory. Then reinstall notepad++, run the program at least once. The first time you run it it should create the "application data\notepad++" directory then you should be able to drop the userdefinelang.xml file in that directory. If it doesn't create the "application data\notepad++" the first time its run then you'll need to contact the notepad++ author or file a bug on the sourceforge website. Good luck.

Old 23rd August 2006, 05:47   #12  |  Link
Koti
Always trying

Thx

note - i just put the "userDefineLang.xml" into the same folder as Notepad ++ (C:\Program Files\Notepad ++) and it picked it up.

Last edited by Koti; 23rd August 2006 at 05:58.
Koti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:01   #13  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
In my Documents Settings folder thereis no Application data folder.
Sure there is (well, in your profile folder, not the root D&S), but it's hidden, just like Local Settings. If you want in the easy way, just type %appdata% in the address bar, otherwise you need to unhide hidden files and rehide them once done. (If, like me, you prefer them hidden.)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 23:19   #14  |  Link
krieger2005

The Folder can also named different. For me, from Germany "Aplication data" folder is "Anwendungsdaten".
krieger2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 03:41   #15  |  Link
vcmohan

Thanks. I could meanwhile manage it. I found that in word 4 the external plugins are named. In several plugins of mine there are a number of functions, and calls are to these functions. So in place of plugin names these function names may be included. In my copy I have changed in respect of my plugins. There may be others too I am not sure. I can send a copy of this new file if desired.
Is it necessasary that they all be listed on one line? Is it possible to break the lines to ensure readability?
Old 9th September 2006, 18:21   #16  |  Link
Alain2

Good idea to share this ^^ I already have my own syntax highlights that I am populating when required; if someones interested it's available here
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 15:23   #17  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Sorry for bumping this tread... Does anyone still using Notepad++ for avisynth script editing? If so, maybe someone can update this userDefineLang. It is still very useful but since 2006 there is many new plugins, scripts etc.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 26th May 2009 at 15:29.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 17:26   #18  |  Link
Chiba

HAN !

Thanks a lot *___* <3<3<3
Chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 08:16   #19  |  Link
XadoX

XadoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 17:17   #20  |  Link
varied

Thanks!
All works just great except when a file name contains non latin letters [in my case cyrillic *source("зяблик.avi")]. A workaround is quite easy, just to rename the file to something like "zjablik.avi".
But that should be done a lot, since all my files are named that way.
I guess, there is no way to change that...

Anyway, thanks again!

Edit:

I played a bit more and found that this had nothing to do with cyrillic characters. Highlighting is messed up if a filename contains parenthesis...

Last edited by varied; 13th October 2009 at 22:10. Reason: My bad
varied is offline   Reply With Quote