Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th February 2011, 10:34   #5801  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

madshi here a file for you and for other users that want test:
http://web.tiscali.it/djsolidsnake86/clip1.mpeg

Last edited by djsolidsnake86; 28th February 2011 at 10:45.
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 11:23   #5802  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
having an AR problem, though...it's never occured w/ older versions
Can I have a sample, please? And please let me know which splitter + decoder you're using.

Quote:
and when going exclusive>windowed, these are my windows taskbar and desktop(I use a Vista theme on XPSP3):
(1) Is that a new problem with v0.41 or does it occur with older builds (> v0.36), too?
(2) Is it reproducable?
(3) How about the corrupted menus and seekbar? Are these problems still there? Better than in v0.40? Or the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
madvr freezes with several .flv files in mpc-hc. the playback is fine but the mouse controls become unresponsive. i have to kill mpc-hc to get it to stop. this is with version 0.41
Can't reproduce that here. Can I have a small sample, please? Which splitter and decoder are you using? Which OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Is it something like, the video is 1280x720, madVR requests 2048x720, decoder says it is sending 1280x720, but actually is sending 2048x720?
Yes, that's exactly it. I think the same is happening with VMR/EVR. However, VMR/EVR do not seem to care that the decoder is saying it sends 1280x720. VMR/EVR seem to rely on that the decoders do as commanded, namely sending 2048x720. So madVR is now doing that, too. FWIW, all other decoders I've tested properly report they're sending 2048x720. Only NVidia's decoder and the WMV DMO (with some clips) is misreporting the format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
madshi here a file for you and for other users that want test:
http://web.tiscali.it/djsolidsnake86/clip1.mpeg
Thx. I can't reproduce any problems, though. I've tried and "ffdshow decoder -> madVR" works fine. And "DScaler decoder -> madVR" works fine, too, on my PC. Here are screenshots with your clips with VMR9 and madVR on my PC:

http://madshi.net/VMR9.png
http://madshi.net/madVR.png

As you can see, image quality is comparable. I've turned the OSD on for both VMR9 and madVR to proof that the screenshots are really from VMR9 vs. madVR.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 11:31   #5803  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

i'm using libmpeg2 with ffdshow and now looks very good (first i was trying libavcodec)
however thank you man
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 12:43   #5804  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can I have a sample, please? And please let me know which splitter + decoder you're using.
I've disabled all post-processing in ffdshow, and
whatever CoreAVC CUDA or ffdshow-mt decoding...same story on all files in PotP(the latest beta I provided you w/):

even on 4/3 DivX files:

I've got PotP set to enforce the DAR, and <0.41 this settings used to always work like a charm...this is a new problem w/ 0.41, it simply seems to enforce an anamorphic vertical downsize for some reason

If I set PotP to use the DAR in 0.41, I get this:

if I force 2.35 AR in 0.41 I get the right AR:

if I force the DAR in <0.41, it's fine as ever:

problem doesn't occur in MPC HC(latest beta on xvidvideo) w/ 0.41:

Quote:
(1) Is that a new problem with v0.41 or does it occur with older builds (> v0.36), too?
(2) Is it reproducable?
(3) How about the corrupted menus and seekbar? Are these problems still there? Better than in v0.40? Or the same?
1) 2) very much reproducible, and it's been here since 0.37
3) that's 0.41:

I think it's worse? 0.36 has been working like a charm for me, hell started breaking loose w/ 0.37 and it's only gone down hill from there

Last edited by leeperry; 28th February 2011 at 12:48.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 12:45   #5805  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
i'm using libmpeg2 with ffdshow and now looks very good (first i was trying libavcodec)
however thank you man
I had tried both libavcodec and libmpeg2 and both worked fine for me here. Anyway, glad to hear that the problem is gone now.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:07   #5806  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I've disabled all post-processing in ffdshow, and
whatever CoreAVC CUDA or ffdshow-mt decoding...same story on all files in PotP(the latest beta I provided you w/)
Ok, I could reproduce the problem and I think it's a bug in PotPlayer. Anyway, I've converted some changes back to how madVR behaved before and the AR problem should be fixed with the next madVR build.

Quote:
1) 2) very much reproducible, and it's been here since 0.37
3) that's 0.41:

I think it's worse? 0.36 has been working like a charm for me, hell started breaking loose w/ 0.37 and it's only gone down hill from there
Let me explain where this problem is (probably) coming from:

madVR v0.36 and older versions allowed Direct3D to do whatever it wanted. And Direct3D does want to reset the GPU output mode whenever it switches from exclusive -> windowed mode. This GPU output mode switch does not really make sense, though, since nothing has changed, really. So since v0.37 madVR hooks into Direct3D to prevent the GPU output mode switch from being executed. The positive aspect of this change is that the mouse cursor shouldn't move to the middle of the screen, anymore (happened to some people, depending on GPU, OS and driver version), and that the overall exclusive -> windowed mode switch should be slightly faster. The negative aspect seems to be that a few (very few) people now experience this cosmetical problem of half-drawn windows.

I think I've found a solution to force all windows to be drawn correctly. This will be implemented in the next build and will likely fix the problem. If all else fails, I can add an option to allow the GPU output mode switch to execute. That should restore the madVR v0.36 behaviour. But I would really like to avoid that, if I can help it.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:18   #5807  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
madvr freezes with several .flv files in mpc-hc. the playback is fine but the mouse controls become unresponsive. i have to kill mpc-hc to get it to stop. this is with version 0.41
I've tested a "Flash Video 4" FLV file with MPC Decoder and with ffdshow, no problems. I've also tested a h264 FLV file with MPC Decoder, ffdshow, CoreAVC and DivX decoders, also no problems.

I need a sample with which I can reproduce the mouse control unresponsiveness. Also I need to know which splitter and decoder you're using.

Maybe anyone else can reproduce the problem?
Old 28th February 2011, 15:09   #5808  |  Link
fps

I already posted this in the LAV Filters thread, but unfortunately nevcairiel doesn't know what's going wrong on my end so here is my story again:

I'm having some trouble with the LAVAudio decoder + madVR. Whenever I use LAVAudio decoder + LAVSplitter to play a H.264/AC3 file I get stuttery playback with madVR.
It doesn't change wheter it's FSE mode or windowed mode, there are a lot of dropped and delayed frames all the time.
I have the same problem on 2 different machines, one is a notebook with a Nvidia GPU, the other a standalone pc with an AMD GPU.
If I switch to another audio decoder like ffdshow's one and still use LAVSplitter the problem is gone.
Changing to EVR-CP renderer and keeping the LAVAudio decoder + LAVSplitter solves the problem, too.

I also noticed another problem. Whenever I try to switch between audio tracks via the system tray icon of madVR, the player crashes.
This doesn't depend on the audio decoder however, it seems to be just a problem of the combination LAVSplitter + madVR.

I created two logs. The first one shows the frame dropping problem. After about 10s I switched to FSE mode.
The second log shows the switching audio tracks problem.

Setup:
MPCHC 1.5.1.2946
CoreAVC 2.0 (tried ffdshow too)
madVR 0.41 (all settings to bilinear and disabled 16bit processing)
Win7/32
NVidia Geforce Go 7400

Hopefully you can find what's the problem's cause .
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 15:22   #5809  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Yeah no idea about the stuttering. I have been using madVR for ages, and never seen anything like this.

About the crash, though.
Does the stream switching work properly when you use the options in MPC-HC instead of the madVR interface?
I never actually tried to use it, i dislike that everyone adds their own context menu with stuff like this.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 28th February 2011 at 15:26.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 16:16   #5810  |  Link
fps

Switching via the context menu is working (via the LAV context menu entry).

Last edited by fps; 28th February 2011 at 17:48.
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 16:37   #5811  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps View Post
I'm having some trouble with the LAVAudio decoder + madVR. Whenever I use LAVAudio decoder + LAVSplitter to play a H.264/AC3 file I get stuttery playback with madVR.
It doesn't change wheter it's FSE mode or windowed mode, there are a lot of dropped and delayed frames all the time.
Hmmmmm... I can see what madVR is not doing, although it should. But I'm not sure why. I'll add some more logging output to the next build. I'll need a new log from you then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I never actually tried to use it, i dislike that everyone adds their own context menu with stuff like this.
madVR's context menu is the prettiest, though...
Old 28th February 2011, 16:54   #5812  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Switching via the context menu is working (via the LAV context menu entry).
I just fixed a locking problem that could cause the splitter to deadlock when stuff was being called in a certain order. I didn't see any crash though, unless that was in your case being caused by a deadlocked splitter .. somehow.
Old 28th February 2011, 17:53   #5813  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I can reproduce MPC-HC deadlocking here, when switching streams via madVR's tray icon menu (IAMStreamSelect), when LAV Splitter is used. No crash here.
Old 28th February 2011, 18:06   #5814  |  Link
fps

Sorry, I guess I was not very clear. The player doesn't crash when switching audio tracks, it just freezes and i have to terminate it via the task manager.
Will report back when the new build is available.
Old 28th February 2011, 18:13   #5815  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I was not very clear. The player doesn't crash when switching audio tracks, it just freezes and i have to terminate it via the task manager.
Will report back when the new build is available.
Yes that should be fixed for the next version.
Old 28th February 2011, 19:32   #5816  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:

I've already answered that a couple of pages before.
Thanks.
Your last answer was
Quote:
Quote:
I think a "dropped" and "repeated" frames counter is much more useful than these graphs. madVR does not count "repeated" frames yet, though.

But I don't know if you expect to add these counters in a next version (at this time of your answer, the current version was 0.36)
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 19:54   #5817  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
I've tested a "Flash Video 4" FLV file with MPC Decoder and with ffdshow, no problems. I've also tested a h264 FLV file with MPC Decoder, ffdshow, CoreAVC and DivX decoders, also no problems.

I need a sample with which I can reproduce the mouse control unresponsiveness. Also I need to know which splitter and decoder you're using.

Maybe anyone else can reproduce the problem?
i just did a reinstall of windows 7 sp1 and i'll see if i can reproduce it. if i can, i'll edit this post with a link to a sample or something.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 20:11   #5818  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
Your last answer was [...]

But I don't know if you expect to add these counters in a next version (at this time of your answer, the current version was 0.36)
That was not my last answer. Anyway, I do plan to add a "repeated frame" counter, but I cannot technically do that with the current presentation logic. It will come in a future madVR version. Might take a couple of weeks.

Quote:
i just did a reinstall of windows 7 sp1 and i'll see if i can reproduce it. if i can, i'll edit this post with a link to a sample or something.
Please make a new post then. Edited posts are too easy to miss. Thx.
Old 28th February 2011, 20:16   #5819  |  Link
noee

Just installed .41. Does not seem to work anymore with jRiver (still running the same MC version before installing .41). I get a very strange presentation, half of the video window is solid green and the other half contains the movie, albeit, scrunched up to fit. Back to .39 and all is well.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 22:14   #5820  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
That was not my last answer. Anyway, I do plan to add a "repeated frame" counter, but I cannot technically do that with the current presentation logic. It will come in a future madVR version. Might take a couple of weeks.
Thanks a lot.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling