Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 7th July 2010, 21:33   #1961  |  Link
Alf Bundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I am seriously considering dropping the CUVID Server, so as they say in church, if anyone objects please step forward.
Well, Cuvid and DGsource() is the only one working for me.

When I use DGmultiSource(), half the time I get

or

It happens when my script is closed by an application and quickly re-opened.

Exemple in VirtualDub : drag& drop the script in VD and redoing it. Normally it should close the script and reload it, but it crashes instead.
Since closing -> reloading is typically what VD does when 2pass or multiple jobs encodes, it's quite problematic.

Exemple in MeGUI : at the end of 1st pass (when second pass should start), the error occurs and MeGUI crashes.
If I restart MeGui & restart 2nd pass, it works but crash again when beginning the next job in queue.

So I can't configure an automated 2pass encode, or multiple jobs in queue to be encoded overnight if I use DGmultiSource().

With Cuvid and DGsource(), it always works fine.

I have two machines, and both shows the same problem since I bought a license (01-20-2010)

machine 1 : Win7 x64, intel q9400, nvidia 9800GTX 512Mb (drivers up-to-date - failed also with previous 3 drivers)

machine 2 : Win 7 x64, intel e7400, Nvidia 9400GT 512Mb (drivers up-to-date - ...)

So I would be very annoyed if you drop Cuvid, because I wouldn't be able to do multi-pass or multi encodes anymore
(at least without me in front of my computer waiting for the next crash ).

Last edited by Alf Bundy; 7th July 2010 at 21:35.
Alf Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 21:38   #1962  |  Link

Jeez, I wish you people would report this stuff when you run into it, instead of using stupid workarounds when if I know it is happening I can do something about.

Quote:
Exemple in VirtualDub : drag& drop the script in VD and redoing it.
What do you mean by "redoing it"? Specifically, what actions do I have to take to make it happen? I have never seen any issue in VirtualDub with DGMultiSource().

Last edited by Guest; 7th July 2010 at 21:40.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 23:38   #1963  |  Link
Alf Bundy

Sorry for my poor english.
Here a picture showing what I mean :

- First, load the script

- Then drag & drop the same script on VD's window
- Then drag & drop it again. If you don't wait long enough between two drag & drops, you'll get that :

To be fair, I had to do 3 successives drag & drops to get the error dialog.

Of course there's no reason of doing quick successives drag & drops manually,
but it forces the application to close and immediately reload the script.
And this is exactly what VirtualDub and MeGUI do in case of multi-pass or multi-jobs.

By the way, my script is very simple :

DGmultiSource("E:\Backup Bluray\Ep5\00277.track_4113.dgi",resize_w=1280, resize_h=720)
DegrainMedian(limitY=2,limitUV=3,mode=1)
ConvertToYV12()

Maybe is it related to my Graphic Cards ?
I guess the video memory must be flushed before it can load the next instance of my script,
but the flushing is slower than the attempt of reloading made by MeGUI and VD ???

Graphic cards memory is 512Mb GDDR3

But then, I don't understand why I don't have this problem when using Cuvid and DGsource() ?
And only half the time with DGmultiSource ?

Utimately this is why I didn't complain before.
Cuvid is working for me, DGmultiSource is working for everyone else. Fine.

Last edited by Alf Bundy; 7th July 2010 at 23:52.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:51   #1964  |  Link

Thank you. Being able to reproduce this outside MEGUI makes it a whole new ball game.

Just to be clear, you don't do play in VirtualDub before dropping again?
Old 8th July 2010, 00:07   #1965  |  Link
Alf Bundy

No, just successives drag & drops.

For the first capture I just moved the position cursor to avoid the first black frame of the script (to show that the script was correctly loaded).
Old 8th July 2010, 00:11   #1966  |  Link

I reproduced it using the F2 key (reopen video). For me it is always exactly 11 hits of the F2 key and then failure to create decoder. That suggests that the re-open is not really dismissing the previous instances and GPU memory is being exhausted (although 11 instances seems unlikely). I will investigate further what the re-open is really doing, and what can be done if the previous instances are being kept alive.

How much memory do you have on your GPU?

Last edited by Guest; 8th July 2010 at 02:21.
Old 8th July 2010, 00:16   #1967  |  Link
Alf Bundy

512 Mb GDDR3 (on my 9800GTX)

512 Mb GDDR2 (on my GT9400)

Last edited by Alf Bundy; 8th July 2010 at 00:20. Reason: Correction of specs
Old 8th July 2010, 02:20   #1968  |  Link

I've just extensively checked all my alloc/free stuff and all my CUVID object creation/deletion and it is all AOK. I did some further experiments that strongly suggest a memory leak in CUVID decoder creation/destruction within CUVID. So I have contacted Nvidia about it. This will be really nice to get fixed, as CUVID Server can be retired and DGMultiSource() made bulletproof.
Old 8th July 2010, 02:35   #1969  |  Link
um3k

Just thought I'd mention, I have the same "Failed to create video decoder" problem in AvsPmod. Likewise, I have 512 MB memory. Definitely a leak of some sort.
um3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 03:54   #1970  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

i have a 9500GT video card with 1GB of video memory and did not experience the problem but i also didnt re-open any video 11 times. if it's a memory leak with 512MB cards it obviously happens more often.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 8th July 2010 at 04:06.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 04:16   #1971  |  Link
adiabatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
i have a 9500GT video card with 1GB of video memory and did not experience the problem but i also didnt re-open any video 11 times. if it's a memory leak with 512MB cards it obviously happens more often.
Happens consistently for me on the 8th drag-and-drop of an AVS file involving a 1920x1080i clip with my 896 MB GTX 275.
adiabatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 08:01   #1972  |  Link
Great Dragon

It happens to me from time to time only if I hit F5 in VDmod or refresh video in AvS.
I have 2 PCs with 8800GTS 512Mb and 8400GS.
Great Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 09:14   #1973  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

I was about posting the same VirtualDub_x64 issue.

If I import an avs with DGMultiDecode_x64, close with CTRL-W, open another, close with CTRL-W, open another -> CRASH of DGMultiSource.

Tested with Quadro FX3300 512MB, Geforce 275 1GB.

The same happens in MEGui_x64, after the third import of AVS.

"Three is the magic number"
Old 8th July 2010, 10:50   #1974  |  Link
diimaan

sorry for asking this here!
is there any such DVD2AVI / DGIndex implementation for ATI/AMD cards exist?
diimaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 11:56   #1975  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by diimaan View Post
sorry for asking this here!
is there any such DVD2AVI / DGIndex implementation for ATI/AMD cards exist?
If you are talking about DGDecNV, then refer to the first post of this thread. If you are indeed talking about DVD2AVI/DGIndex, neither of those two run on the GPU, so the question makes no sense.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:11   #1976  |  Link
diimaan

ohh, sorry abt the confusion there!

my question was that DGDecNV is for nvidia gpu's!
is there similar tools exist fot ATI gpu's?
diimaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:19   #1977  |  Link

Your term "similar" is quite vague, which makes it hard to answer you. I'm not aware of any other Avisynth source filters that use GPU decoding, but I have not looked. I don't know offhand whether CoreAVC can be used with DirectShowSource() in DXVA mode; you would have to ask about that in the CoreAVC thread. In any case, further discussion about tools other than DGDecNV is off topic here, so please take it elsewhere. Finally, you always have the option of running an Nvidia card alongside your ATI card, and using it just for decoding.

Last edited by Guest; 8th July 2010 at 12:24.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:21   #1978  |  Link
Renzz

GPU-Z is quite interesting when opening the AVS multiple times in Vdub. Using an indexed MPG2 file, If I look at the GPU memory usage, it starts around 98, and for every press of F2 it increments by between 35 and 45 - but never goes down. I get to around 420MB before I get the error. Using an indexed H264 source, the increments are around 120MB and it fails after it reached 920. This is on a 9800GT with 1GB.
Renzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:26   #1979  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzz View Post
GPU-Z is quite interesting when opening the AVS multiple times in Vdub. Using an indexed MPG2 file, If I look at the GPU memory usage, it starts around 98, and for every press of F2 it increments by between 35 and 45 - but never goes down. I get to around 420MB before I get the error. Using an indexed H264 source, the increments are around 120MB and it fails after it reached 920. This is on a 9800GT with 1GB.
Ah, thanks for reporting that! It's the definitive proof I need that CUVID is leaking memory.
Old 8th July 2010, 23:55   #1980  |  Link
dgeise

'other' GPUs in the cards?

Hi Don,

I was wondering- the changes to your API function naming scheme seem to be opening a window for supporting 'other' <whisper> non-nvidia </whisper> video cards in the future.

The reason I ask is that I'm starting to look into buying a new computer, and the ATI video cards look to be a better deal from a price/performance/power perspective.

I'm pretty well hooked on your video processing tools, which makes it difficult to switch to different hardware. Your answer may somewhat influence my purchasing decisions, so I'll ask it right out.

Is there any chance you could support other vendors' GPU products, either by a separate decoder stack or bu using platform-neutral CUDA coding techniques?

Since this may be of general interest, I'm asking here on the forum.

Thanks & as always keep up the fantastic work-
- a big fan
dgeise is offline   Reply With Quote