Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 4th January 2008, 23:22   #2381  |  Link
tjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Also I don't see much sense in muxing TrueHD to Matroska. What advantage does TrueHD have over FLAC? I don't see a single advantage. Personally, I'm converting every TrueHD track to FLAC and I'll continue to do so.
I see two reasons.

1. Transcoding takes time.
2. Although there is no way at the moment to send digital TrueHD stream to AV receiver, it will happen in the future. I am not so sure about AV receivers to ever support FLAC.
Old 4th January 2008, 23:28   #2382  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post
1. Transcoding takes time.
Have you compared the time it takes to demux TrueHD to the time it takes to demux TrueHD and transcode it to FLAC? Both by using eac3to? I think there's probably not much of a difference because the most time consuming thing is probably reading and writing from/to harddisk. And that doesn't differ when using eac3to cause eac3to can demux and transcode in one step.

Quote:
2. Although there is no way at the moment to send digital TrueHD stream to AV receiver, it will happen in the future. I am not so sure about AV receivers to ever support FLAC.
You need HDMI 1.3 devices to transport TrueHD bitstream. But as far as I know every HDMI 1.3 device can also transport multichannel PCM sound. Now every audio format can be sent lossless via PCM. So if you have HDMI 1.3 devices you can also send FLAC without any loss to the receiver. So I don't see any advantage for TrueHD.
Old 5th January 2008, 02:15   #2383  |  Link
tjf

Quote:
You need HDMI 1.3 devices to transport TrueHD bitstream. But as far as I know every HDMI 1.3 device can also transport multichannel PCM sound. Now every audio format can be sent lossless via PCM. So if you have HDMI 1.3 devices you can also send FLAC without any loss to the receiver. So I don't see any advantage for TrueHD.
That is true for PC playback. But there could be other hardware players in the future that can play matroska files but not decode FLAC.
Old 5th January 2008, 03:30   #2384  |  Link
rickardk

Does eac3to handle DTS-HD ES 6.1 in the right way?
Working on The Untouchables (Blu-ray) now. Demuxed audio with xport. eac3to tells me:

eac3to untouchables.dts untouchables.flac
DTS-ES, 6.1 channels, 1:59:51, 24 bits, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -4dB
Doubling 7th channel...
Removing dialog normalization...
Decoding with DirectShow (Sonic Audio Decoder)...
DirectShow reports 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Encoding FLAC...
Creating/writing file "untouchables.flac"

After muxed it into a mkv ffdshow reports it get a 8channel uncompressed stream from madflac. BUT I searched the whole file with headphones (mapped with the 2 "extra" channels) and I can't find any sound.
Old 5th January 2008, 04:04   #2385  |  Link
rickardk

Hmm...using ffdshow for flac decoding gives me all channels (I think). Can this be a madflac problem? Or maybe a ffdshow map/mixer problem. But when mixer i bypassed I still can't audio from SL and SR.

It is a madflac problem. Continue in madflac thread...

Last edited by rickardk; 5th January 2008 at 04:37.
Old 5th January 2008, 04:30   #2386  |  Link
SiC

I stipped the HD DVD EVO files of Transformers and got video and audio elementary streams. Currently I am using eac3to to convert the eac3 to DTS so I can author it onto a Blu-Ray. Does anyone know what delay I should use in eac3to?

Thanks in advance
Old 5th January 2008, 08:42   #2387  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
That is true for PC playback. But there could be other hardware players in the future that can play matroska files but not decode FLAC.
Possible but not very probable. Matroska is open source, so is FLAC. Both cost no license fees whatsoever. If a hardware player adds Matroska support it's very probable that FLAC is supported, too. E.g. most current hardware media player boxes out there already support FLAC (and that since a long time), but only few of them support Matroska yet. All the big players in the media player box business support FLAC (Divco/TVix, NMT, etc).

In contrast to that TrueHD decoding support does cost license fees. Because of that e.g. the Popcorn media player box does not support TrueHD decoding, although its hardware could easily do it. They just didn't add support for TrueHD decoding to save the license fees. Of course FLAC is already announced to be supported (with a future firmware version).
Old 5th January 2008, 08:44   #2388  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiC View Post
I stipped the HD DVD EVO files of Transformers and got video and audio elementary streams. Currently I am using eac3to to convert the eac3 to DTS so I can author it onto a Blu-Ray. Does anyone know what delay I should use in eac3to?
Did you use the latest eac3to version to demux audio and video? In that case you shouldn't need to use any delays. eac3to already applies all necessary delays during demuxing.
Old 5th January 2008, 09:19   #2389  |  Link
SiC

Quote:
Did you use the latest eac3to version to demux audio and video? In that case you shouldn't need to use any delays. eac3to already applies all necessary delays during demuxing.
No I didn't, I shall try and see if it works.
Thanks
Old 5th January 2008, 11:13   #2390  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Possible but not very probable. Matroska is open source, so is FLAC. Both cost no license fees whatsoever. If a hardware player adds Matroska support it's very probable that FLAC is supported, too. E.g. most current hardware media player boxes out there already support FLAC (and that since a long time), but only few of them support Matroska yet. All the big players in the media player box business support FLAC (Divco/TVix, NMT, etc).

In contrast to that TrueHD decoding support does cost license fees. Because of that e.g. the Popcorn media player box does not support TrueHD decoding, although its hardware could easily do it. They just didn't add support for TrueHD decoding to save the license fees. Of course FLAC is already announced to be supported (with a future firmware version).
I 've seen Denon receivers with FLAC support.
Old 5th January 2008, 14:01   #2391  |  Link
Joniii

I'm trying to convert eac3 to ac3, what am I doing wrong here?

I installed Nero-7.10.1.2, and this is what i type in eac3to:

"eac3to ddplus.eac3 dd.ac3 -640"

after that eac3to starts decoding and when it's finished it doesn't save any file (dd.ac3).
Old 5th January 2008, 14:08   #2392  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joniii View Post
I'm trying to convert eac3 to ac3, what am I doing wrong here?

I installed Nero-7.10.1.2, and this is what i type in eac3to:

"eac3to ddplus.eac3 dd.ac3 -640"

after that eac3to starts decoding and when it's finished it doesn't save any file (dd.ac3).
Try "eac3to -test". What does it say? You need to buy and register the Nero HD DVD/Blu-Ray plugin. Or alternatively use the "-libav" switch for E-AC3 decoding. See first post of this thread for more details.
Old 5th January 2008, 14:38   #2393  |  Link
Joniii

Quote:
Try "eac3to -test". What does it say? You need to buy and register the Nero HD DVD/Blu-Ray plugin. Or alternatively use the "-libav" switch for E-AC3 decoding. See first post of this thread for more details.
It says nero audio decoder is not working correctly. That must be the problem then.
Old 5th January 2008, 16:35   #2394  |  Link
Joniii

eac3to says that my DD+ ripped from HD DVD is 448kbps. Does eac3to detect bitrates correctly? Just wondering because everywhere I look, reviews of this HD DVD say it should have DD+ @ 640kbps.
Old 5th January 2008, 16:38   #2395  |  Link
Jaja1

Hi Madshi,

First, thanks for your awesome tool.

I noticed that VC1 HD DVD's that are problematic for Haali splitter, have the same problems after remuxing to mkv with Eac3to.

Any idea why that is?
Old 5th January 2008, 16:49   #2396  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joniii View Post
eac3to says that my DD+ ripped from HD DVD is 448kbps. Does eac3to detect bitrates correctly? Just wondering because everywhere I look, reviews of this HD DVD say it should have DD+ @ 640kbps.
Yes, eac3to detection of bitrates should be reliable. You can compare to what EvoDemux sais. But it should be the same.
Old 5th January 2008, 16:50   #2397  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaja1 View Post
I noticed that VC1 HD DVD's that are problematic for Haali splitter, have the same problems after remuxing to mkv with Eac3to.

Any idea why that is?
Do those movies happen to be something other than 1920x1080p24? The Haali splitter has some trouble with strange aspect ratios. Those are really rare, though. Currently eac3to uses Haali's splitter + Haali's MKV muxer to create MKV files. Because of that I'm at the mercy of the Haali filters. If there's a bug in the Haali filters, there's not much I can do about it.
Old 5th January 2008, 17:20   #2398  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

im atm trying to remux the 5th element remastered blu-ray, which also is said to have a 20-bit truehd track. do you want a sample from that one (how big)?
Old 5th January 2008, 17:22   #2399  |  Link
Joniii

Quote:
Yes, eac3to detection of bitrates should be reliable. You can compare to what EvoDemux sais. But it should be the same.
Checked with Evodemux it says 448kbps too so it must be that then.

Btw did I do everything right in this E-AC3 448kbps to AC3:

eac3to filename.eac3 filename.ac3 -448 -libav

Also I got another track wich is Dolby TrueHD, is there anything eac3to can do with it to maybe get better audio than from E-AC3?
Old 5th January 2008, 17:41   #2400  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
im atm trying to remux the 5th element remastered blu-ray, which also is said to have a 20-bit truehd track. do you want a sample from that one (how big)?
A sample is needed only if there are problems. I already have a 20bit TrueHD sample.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to