Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 13th December 2015, 07:52   #20041  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

This has to be one of the most insane demands I've ever heard, but at least you aren't cursing out the people trying to tell you it won't happen this time. When any software says it supports an OS without mentioning service packs, that always means it supports at least the latest service pack, but maybe not anything before it. That's obvious and expected; who would bother to keep around all previous versions, if they could even get hold of them, for the two people in the world who would ever try to install it that way? LAV can't possibly be the only thing that doesn't work on SP2.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 09:24   #20042  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

As others have mentioned XP SP3 still works fine, however any earlier versions are not supported, as they lack key Windows functions that LAV uses.
Old 13th December 2015, 09:37   #20043  |  Link
Nullack

Hi. Ive done some research but Im still confused about LAV Video configuration settings. Help would be great please.

Background: Only today did I realise my Samsung UHD 65" display has a special mode that I could have configured ages ago to do more than 2160P60hz with YUV 420. In this special UHD colour mode I can now do lots more settings. Two cases of note:

Case 1:
3840x2160P 60Hz
Output colour format: RGB
Output colour depth: 8bpc
Output dynamic range: Full 0 - 255

Case 2:
YCbCr444 but dynamic range goes to limited without beeing able to adjust it and 8Bpc stays the same

I assume case 1 would be better as a config? Since I get full dynamic range in RGB?

Now onto LAV Video specific settings.

RGB Output levels (for YUV -> RGB Conversion): I have it set currently to PC 0-255? Or should it be untouched?

And output formats. At the moment I have just RGB32 enabled. I'm confused though since 8Bpc on each R G B would be 24. For some reason the TV displays RGB32 output even though the nvidia control panel says it can only do 8Bpc. Should RGB24 be enabled, and RGB32 turned off, or both on as well? And given 8Bpc I think RGB48 should be disabled?
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 09:40   #20044  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You should generally not have LAV convert video to RGB, especially on UHD content its just going to be rather slow because it uses the CPU for that. Let your GPU do the conversion, its going to do it anyway, much faster at that.
RGB32 and RGB24 are both 8-bit RGB, the reason for 32 is that having data be aligned on powers of 2 is more efficient to work on, so it gets 8-bit of unused data added.
Old 13th December 2015, 10:08   #20045  |  Link
Nullack

Ok thanks. Ive set YUV to RGB as leave untouched and stuck with LAV video just having RGB32 as the only ticked output. As I assume that since Im outputting RGB 8Bpc full dynamic range to the display, thats what the display wants to see. Im trying to understand your response, I assume case 1 config is the right config to use for the display and hence I should set lav to just do RGB32 as the only output?

With playing back:

4K HEVC 10 Bit P010: Mixer Output RGB32, Input Type P010 : all seems OK playing this stuff. But then on this:

4K HEVC YUV 420: Input type NV12, Mixer Output NV12 Type NV12

So is that a bug? I told LAV to use RGB32 as the only allowed output yet it says its outputting NV12 for 8 bit HEVC?

Sorry if this is not a bug and its complex than I realise - Im trying to learn this stuff and Im a bit confused.
Old 13th December 2015, 10:12   #20046  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If you use DXVA2-Native, then the output settings have no effect.
And you didn't seem to understand my response, since I said its better to not try to output RGB from LAV. The best quality and performance is usually achieved by not disabling any of the output formats and just letting the renderer handle the necessary conversions.
The options are only provided for testing and for renderers which have broken conversions - but many of the conversions in LAV are relatively slow. The CPU is just much slower at processing raw image data than a GPU would be.
Old 13th December 2015, 10:21   #20047  |  Link
Nullack

Thanks. So in DXVA 2 native none of the output settings matter. So even if I wanted to do something not recommended like get LAV to do RGB conversion, since Im in native mode it wont ever happen.

Since none of the settings will be obeyed, can I politely suggest it would be less confusing for the user just to disable that whole section of the GUI by greying it out when native is set?

I therefore assume when in DXVA native mode, the output mode
is "whatever it is" that gets forced in the whole stack and the user has no choice or decision to make.
Old 13th December 2015, 10:22   #20048  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Since none of the settings will be obeyed, can I politely suggest it would be less confusing for the user just to disable that whole section of the GUI by greying it out when native is set?
Not every video can be decoded by DXVA2, since DXVA2 only supports a small range of video codecs.
Therefor disabling the settings makes no sense.
Old 13th December 2015, 10:26   #20049  |  Link
Nullack

Oh yes, I see ofcourse thats a global setting whereas for example some video codecs will go back to software. Thanks, you really are the master of this stuff I appreciate all the insights.
Old 14th December 2015, 04:52   #20050  |  Link
Nullack

Hi. Below in this thread is a description of a bug I had assumed to be a MPC-BE / MPC-HC problem. One of the MPC-BE Developers is saying I should raise it for the LAV Filters project. Basically on all three configuration tools for LAV, it works fine in high DPI and 4K situations when the three config tools are run by themselves. WHen however MPC-BE or MPC-HC is playing a video, and I right click into filters then one of the LAV configurators, the formats tab is all garbled up. Screenshots in the below link:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...25#post1749525
Old 17th December 2015, 00:12   #20051  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi folks,
Do LAVfilters support DCP package playback? xml and vid.mxf and aud.mxf
Thanks
Pluto
Old 17th December 2015, 16:15   #20052  |  Link
lowenz

Hello guys!

I enjoy testing LAV internal and other filters for HEVC playback but I can't find a way to disable the GPU acceleration of my 750 Ti (Maxwell 1): it seems the GPU drivers override every other options in MPC-HC / LAV if I use "modern" renderers.

Any suggestions?
lowenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 23:33   #20053  |  Link
Vasilich

with LAV you can set it to use CPU only when using decoder type "avcodec".
what do you mean under "modern renderers"? renderer can also use GPU for effects, so refer to wiki/forum for that particular renderers you use how to disable GPU usage by them.
Vasilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 00:11   #20054  |  Link
lowenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilich View Post
what do you mean under "modern renderers"? renderer can also use GPU for effects, so refer to wiki/forum for that particular renderers you use how to disable GPU usage by them.
VMR 7,9, EVR (and Sync).

0% GPU usage with a Radeon 7850 (windows 7), high GPU usage with the 750 Ti (windows 10)
Old 18th December 2015, 00:30   #20055  |  Link
lowenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilich View Post
with LAV you can set it to use CPU only when using decoder type "avcodec".
HW acceleration is already disabled in MPC-HC/Lav configuration but the GPU (Nvidia Maxwell) usage is still high (vs AMD GCN @0%, same settings)
Old 18th December 2015, 02:28   #20056  |  Link
wanezhiling

Because the player can't detect the gpu usage on ATI/intel platform, so always 0%, that's not correct.
With nvidia, it's normal, you can check GPU-Z -> GPU Load.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 11:51   #20057  |  Link
lowenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
Because the player can't detect the gpu usage on ATI/intel platform, so always 0%, that's not correct.
With nvidia, it's normal, you can check GPU-Z -> GPU Load.
It's 0% with RTSS.
Old 18th December 2015, 11:57   #20058  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Your stats are just wrong, then. Video Rendering will always take a bit of GPU load.
However, if hwaccel is turned off in LAV, then it will not touch the GPU at all. Anything that happens after LAV has decoded the image is entirely out of its hands, so not relevant to this thread.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 18th December 2015 at 12:00.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 21:22   #20059  |  Link
Nullack

Bug Report: Forced subtitles are not appearing despite being enabled in LAV splitter. During playback LAV splitter identifies the auto subtitle stream for forced subtitles. However no forced subs are displayed such as in star wars episode 1 bluray disc chapter 14. Normal PGS type subtitles display fine.

I see the help text in LAV Splitter has a note saying the tick box for forced subtitles may not work for all bluray discs. Is there a way to fix this? Can I assist with testing? What is the issue causing some blurays to not work with forced subtitles.

Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 21:37   #20060  |  Link
sneaker_ger

PGS subtitles in BluRay can mark certain subtitle pictures (not tracks!) as "forced". So you can have one track that has the complete English + alien dialogue of Star Wars in a single track. LAV can filter the non-alien parts out because they are not marked as forced if the user wishes so. Some authoring houses choose to not mark any subtitle pictures as "forced" at all, instead they just put the full dialogue (including the alien parts) in one track and the alien parts into another track. Since no picture is marked as forced LAV will filter everything out. Your only options:
1.) deactivate the respective LAV option or
2.) choose the respective full subtitle track (not the auto forced-only one) or
3.) re-author the file with some subtitle editor to make use of the flags

You might be forced to do 3.) in case you have not copied the track that only consists of the alien language parts from the BluRay. (or re-rip the BluRay, of course)

The problem is well known - there's nothing you can assist with.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter