Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 18th June 2008, 12:14   #5141  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
the ac3 commentary track from the patton blu-ray has a -9ms delay. but when demuxing that track eac3to writes the 'applying (e)ac3 delay...' message, which actually doesnt/shouldnt happen in that case. if a delay was applied then the sync would be worse than no change at all, because of the 32ms frame size. so is this message in this case basically only generic even though eac3to doesnt add a delay here, its printed out each time any delay is detected, indicating to the user that eac3to looks to solve this issue automatically, even when the solution is not adding a delay at all?
Just checked the source code. The text "applying (e)ac3 delay..." is always shown if the delay is not zero. But a delay is actually only applied if it's at least half of an audio frame. I'll fix this in the next build. The text will then only be shown if delaying actually changes something.

In other words: It's only the text that is wrong. So no need to worry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Latest eac3to version crashes with title 1 (main movie) of National Treasure 2 Blu-ray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post
Getting the same sort of error with Jumper
Could I have a small sample of National Treasure 2 and Jumper each? Of course that helps only if the problem also occurs with the sample. The sample doesn't need to be big. Even 5MB is enough, as long as the crash also occurs with the sample.

Thanks!
Old 18th June 2008, 13:35   #5142  |  Link
yesgrey

I have a TS file with a h264 video stream and an ac3 5.1 audio stream.

When processing it with eac3to 2.46 gives this message:
This doesn't seem to be a valid MPEG2 stream.
TS, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 0:23:31
1: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
2: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -29dB

When processing it with eac3to 2.47 gives this message:
This MPEG2 framerate is currently not supported.
2: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -29dB

Can't we process TS files with other than MPEG2 video streams?
Old 18th June 2008, 13:55   #5143  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
I have a TS file with a h264 video stream and an ac3 5.1 audio stream.

When processing it with eac3to 2.46 gives this message:
This doesn't seem to be a valid MPEG2 stream.
2: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -29dB

When processing it with eac3to 2.47 gives this message:
This MPEG2 framerate is currently not supported.
2: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -29dB

Can't we process TS files with other than MPEG2 video streams?
The h264 and AC3 tracks are detected just fine. So I see no reason why eac3to shouldn't be able to handle them correctly. Just give it a try.

The complaint is about an MPEG2 video track, which is not listed in the track listing. I think that there is probably a 3rd track (besides the h264 and AC3 tracks) which eac3to cannot handle properly. If you want me to look into this problem, I need a little sample of this file. 10MB should be enough.
Old 18th June 2008, 19:35   #5144  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Could I have a small sample of National Treasure 2?
Here it is.
Old 18th June 2008, 20:09   #5145  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Thanks. The problem is caused by the PiP DTS audio track. Will be fixed in the next build.
Old 18th June 2008, 20:10   #5146  |  Link
canoehead

I've had the same crashing problem with the Blus of Jumper and the Longest Day. I
Old 18th June 2008, 20:17   #5147  |  Link
rebkell

Does eac3to handle standard definition DVDs like blu-ray and/or HD-DVD or do you have to combine all the vob's on the command line?
Old 18th June 2008, 20:26   #5148  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
Does eac3to handle standard definition DVDs like blu-ray and/or HD-DVD or do you have to combine all the vob's on the command line?
Currently eac3to is not as comfortable to use for standard DVDs as it is for Blu-Ray and HD DVD. That means you have to write down all the vobs to the command line manually. This may change in a future version.
Old 18th June 2008, 20:28   #5149  |  Link
rebkell

Quote:
Currently eac3to is not as comfortable to use for standard DVDs as it is for Blu-Ray and HD DVD. That means you have to write down all the vobs to the command line manually. This may change in a future version.
Thanks, I'll tough it out.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:55   #5150  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Thanks. The problem is caused by the PiP DTS audio track. Will be fixed in the next build.
Will eac3to be able to deal with these tracks (dts express?)? Have you find any specs about this?
Old 19th June 2008, 01:16   #5151  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
If you want me to look into this problem, I need a little sample of this file. 10MB should be enough.
madshi, here it is. It's a 30MB sample, because less than this the problem did not happen.
It should have a 3rd track, a LPCM track.

Thanks.
Old 19th June 2008, 04:08   #5152  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
Do you need additional samples Madshi?
Old 19th June 2008, 09:59   #5153  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Will eac3to be able to deal with these tracks (dts express?)? Have you find any specs about this?
I don't have any specs about it. I'm not sure if I can support it. Maybe yes, maybe no. But does anybody really care about PiP audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
here it is. It's a 30MB sample, because less than this the problem did not happen.
It should have a 3rd track, a LPCM track.
This is a faulty TS file. The LPCM track is stored under the program ID "0x80", which is normally used for MPEG2 video tracks in TS files. As a result eac3to tries to interpret the LPCM data as MPEG2 video, which of course won't work. Still eac3to should be able to handle the h264 and AC3 tracks just fine. But the LPCM track is just plain wrong and as a result eac3to will not be able to handle this track correctly. You can demux it with xport, though. Rename the demuxed file to "audio.pcm" then. Then eac3to will be able to handle the LPCM data.

The latest version of eac3to generally does support LPCM tracks in TS files, but the LPCM track must at least have a Blu-Ray descriptor, so eac3to knows that it's supposed to be an LPCM audio track and not an MPEG2 video track.

Quote:
Do you need additional samples Madshi?
For the crash problem with PiP movies? Probably not. Although, if you want to be sure that the next build will not have a problem with the specific movie you've got you can upload a sample. I'll double check then. But I think the problem should be fixed, anyway.
Old 19th June 2008, 10:56   #5154  |  Link
Momber

Quote:
But does anybody really care about PiP audio?
LOL! Good question. I'd say "only as far as safely and permanently trashing it goes"
Old 19th June 2008, 12:30   #5155  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momber View Post
LOL! Good question. I'd say "only as far as safely and permanently trashing it goes"
I guess my question is - where is this actually used in the movie? Is it the Director's comments stuff? If so then meh, I'm not concerned with it - I want to watch the silly movie! If the previous version could rip it and this one cannot then hopefully the fix is somewhat obvious. I generally overwrite old versions and am now kicking myself for that.

Madshi for now I'll hold off as I suspect that you've got it nailed, Jumper is the only movie I need this for - not sure what the sample above is from but fingers crossed.

Any reason why I couldn't copy the files from the disk and "rip" from the copied files? They would be unencrypted <shrug> Just not ever tried that, seems like it ought to work if I am pointing your tool at a directory vs a drive letter. Might try that for fun this evening but I think it would work.
Old 19th June 2008, 13:29   #5156  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Any reason why I couldn't copy the files from the disk and "rip" from the copied files? They would be unencrypted <shrug> Just not ever tried that, seems like it ought to work if I am pointing your tool at a directory vs a drive letter. Might try that for fun this evening but I think it would work.
Not sure I understand what you mean.. Jumper uses a new version of BD+ and only latest AnyDVD can crack it.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:29   #5157  |  Link
lexor

Hey madshi, I've got a question regarding options for DTS decoding. The OP states that Sonic decoder is preferred due to avoiding the 4 problems commonly encountered. Now I know there is an open source solution for those who don't have Sonic, but since its merits aren't discussed, I'd like to direct your attention to a different DTS decoder that I use in my workflow. It's a plug-in for Foobar2000 player called foo_dts.dll (which right there could potentially render it useless, if it is too much work to integrate). However, in my tests the plug-in doesn't suffer from problems 3 and 4, it provides user with option for 1 (default DRC=off, which we like). I'm not sure about testing problem 2, but I use SoundForge to encode my AC3 (following the guide in the sticky here) and I get different RMS value for different sections of dialog, which according to the discussion in that thread is indicative (though inconclusive) evidence of the absence of Normalization. The only technical drawback of that plug-in is that it's mostly developed for DTS-CD, so only 5.1 support.

What do you think, madshi, will this be too much work for too little to try to make eac3to use that plug-in? On a related subject, what is the drawback of current free solution that makes you recommend Sonic decoder?
Old 19th June 2008, 16:32   #5158  |  Link
nautilus7

Does it support DTS-HD tracks? That's the main use of Sonic decoder.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:41   #5159  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Does it support DTS-HD tracks? That's the main use of Sonic decoder.
Probably not, with the DTS-CDs being it primary target. The main reason I would want to use the DTS decoder in eac3to is to convert DTS to wav (for further processing in SoundForge to get AC3). Since I don't know of pros and cons of eac3to's free DTS decoder I was using fb2k, just because it appears to avoid the 4 problems. That's the only reason I brought this up.
Old 19th June 2008, 17:52   #5160  |  Link
nautilus7

You can also use libav for plain DTS decoding. It works pretty well (non of the 1-2-3-4 problems are present).

Last edited by nautilus7; 19th June 2008 at 17:56.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to