Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 27th November 2011, 20:22   #7381  |  Link
fastplayer

/DIR="full path"
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 20:23   #7382  |  Link
SamuriHL

Thanks!
Old 27th November 2011, 20:23   #7383  |  Link
BloodySword

A little sample: Imagine a 20 KHz sinus sampled at 40 KHz. It is no sinus anymore, it's a triangle. So you did not understand the Nyquist-Shannon-Theorem at all. It does not say you don't need any more than 2x than the highest freq, it says you need AT LEAST 2 times the sampling to reproduce it. It's like with images. The higher the resolution, the naturallier the image will look.

@nev: How can I cut an MKV so that I can give you a sample of my WavPack problem?
BloodySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 20:25   #7384  |  Link
SamuriHL

Darn, it still adds the x86/x64 dirs. I think I'll create my own custom install script for what I wanna do.
Old 27th November 2011, 20:41   #7385  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I've been pondering on creating a new installer script, adding better and smarter options, separating 32 and 64 in the process, but I hate working on the damn script.
Old 27th November 2011, 20:43   #7386  |  Link
SamuriHL

That'd be nice. For now I'm making a custom script that only deals with 32 bit so that I can use it to do an actuall INSTALL into the MC17 private copy dir. Don't ask. I'm insane. But to do that I can't have that x86 stuff on it. I do agree, working on the install script isn't enjoyable.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:24   #7387  |  Link
SamuriHL

Excellent. So I took your ISS, Nev, and modified it so that it only builds and installs the 32 bit version. I set the default path in the new script to the private copy of LAV in MC17. Now I can run a silent uninstall, and then silent install to update my private copy of LAV. This is useless for almost anyone else, but, for my environment it's pretty awesome. I just have to keep my ISS file in sync with yours. I'm not doing version stuff so I couldn't care less about that. But if you add/remove files I have to modify my script. This is pretty sweet. Yes, little things that make my life easier amuse me.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:31   #7388  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySword View Post
@nev: How can I cut an MKV so that I can give you a sample of my WavPack problem?
You should have a better look at my replies.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:32   #7389  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Found something interesting today. I was looking at getting rid of the splitter/decoder mess needed to properly generate thumbnails in Explorer x64, so I tried removing everything and leaving LAV splitter+video+audio. Everything worked well until it failed to generate the thumbnail in some files. After some investigation it seems related to subtitles. Files with ass subs failed. After installing ffdshow the same files worked, so after some more investigation I think I found why: the video pin and the subtitle pin have to be connected to the same filter. LAV video has no in subtitle pin so subtitles went to who knows where. The DS graphs below are what graphstudio's "Render media file" outputs with each set of options, and probably the same Explorer is using:

- Situation 1, LAV only (FAILS):

LAV splitter (video pin) --> LAV video (video decoder) --> renderer
LAV splitter (ass pin) --> Internal Script Command Renderer

- Situation 2, LAV+ffdshow with LAV as video decoder and ffdshow as subtitle renderer (FAILS):

LAV splitter (video pin) --> LAV video (video decoder) --> ffdshow RAW (video PP) --> renderer
LAV splitter (ass pin) ----------------------------------> ffdshow RAW (video PP)^

- Situation 3, ffdshow as decoder but not accepting subs (FAILS):

LAV splitter (video pin) --> ffdshow (video decoder) --> renderer
LAV splitter (ass pin) --> Internal Script Command Renderer

- Situation 4, ffdshow eating both video and subs (WORKS):

LAV splitter (video pin) --> ffdshow (video decoder) --> renderer
LAV splitter (ass pin) -----> ffdshow (video decoder)^

To tell ffdshow to accept or refuse subtitle connection you have to enable/disable the checkboxes of enabled formats in the subtitle filter. It doesn't matter if the filter is enabled or not.

Do you guys know if this is a known issue and/or fixable in any way?
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 21:40   #7390  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its probably not "to the same filter", its more likely the "Internal Script Command Renderer" is doing shenanigans again. Its no good, and i should probably just deny connection to it inside LAV Splitter - it serves no real purpose.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:41   #7391  |  Link
clsid

One solution would be to let the splitter expose no subtitle pin when loaded by Explorer.

Here is a FLV sample that doesn't get a thumbnail. Possibly do to dynamic resizing/cropping?

Last edited by clsid; 27th November 2011 at 21:43.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 21:48   #7392  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its probably not "to the same filter", its more likely the "Internal Script Command Renderer" is doing shenanigans again. Its no good, and i should probably just deny connection to it inside LAV Splitter - it serves no real purpose.
Dunno but situation 2 fails too, and it doesn't have that thing in the graph.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:11   #7393  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
Dunno but situation 2 fails too, and it doesn't have that thing in the graph.
Well the ISCR causes issues in other situations as well.

Disabling subtitles when the thumbnail-generator loads it is probably nothing that would hurt either.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:36   #7394  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
A little sample: Imagine a 20 KHz sinus sampled at 40 KHz. It is no sinus anymore, it's a triangle. So you did not understand the Nyquist-Shannon-Theorem at all. It does not say you don't need any more than 2x than the highest freq, it says you need AT LEAST 2 times the sampling to reproduce it. It's like with images. The higher the resolution, the naturallier the image will look.
Open another thread if you wanna keep discussing this, but there's plenty of info around the net. It doesn't work like that.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:41   #7395  |  Link
AmshTemp

Is this reported issue of subs and thumbnailing releated?
http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/issues/detail?id=68

Anyway I am now using Icaros instead of Windows thumbnail generator, and although it is a little bit unstable it really wokrs most of times... say 98% of the times.
AmshTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 22:47   #7396  |  Link
e-t172

Sorry for feeding the OT, but I have to do this.

Quote:
A little sample: Imagine a 20 KHz sinus sampled at 40 KHz. It is no sinus anymore, it's a triangle.
It may look like a triangle to you, if you're drawing straight lines between samples. Fortunately, Digital-to-Analog converters don't work like that. They follow the Whittaker–Shannon interpolation formula, which will output a pure 20 kHz sinusoid, not a triangular waveform.

Quote:
So you did not understand the Nyquist-Shannon-Theorem at all. It does not say you don't need any more than 2x than the highest freq, it says you need AT LEAST 2 times the sampling to reproduce it.
You are completely wrong, and Andy o is right. Let's read the theorem again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
If a function x(t) contains no frequencies higher than B hertz, it is completely determined by giving its ordinates at a series of points spaced 1/(2B) seconds apart.
Read the bold part again. Protip: in this context, "completely determined" means "lossless".

Quote:
It's like with images. The higher the resolution, the naturallier the image will look.
Not at all. The human perception of the spatial resolution of an image as observed by the eye has nothing to do with the human perception of the temporal resolution of sound.

Last edited by e-t172; 27th November 2011 at 22:51.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 22:58   #7397  |  Link
Andy o

OK sorry nev, I'm starting a thread myself where we can take this.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21265964

I assume most of us are also AVS regulars. Doom9 doesn't seem to have a section for this kind of topic.
Old 27th November 2011, 23:28   #7398  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Well the ISCR causes issues in other situations as well.

Disabling subtitles when the thumbnail-generator loads it is probably nothing that would hurt either.
That sounds good and it'll probably fix it. There is no need for subtitles in a thumbnail after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmshTemp View Post
Is this reported issue of subs and thumbnailing releated?
http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/issues/detail?id=68
I'd say it's the same issue. Don't know about the XP part thou.
Old 27th November 2011, 23:40   #7399  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
In my trials ffdshow never decoded core dts of a dtshd stream. BTW you can decode full dtshd with LavAudio which has to use TMT's dtsdecoderdll.dll. But it can never decode core dts by alone like ffdshow can not do either. As for the dts DVD's i will check them and report here.
I checked lav filters with dts DVDs and it works with or without dtsdecoderdll.dll:

_ _ __ _

Last edited by rica; 27th November 2011 at 23:44.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 00:14   #7400  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
To use binary XML for a container format is a very bad idea. It's just too complicated to deal with, I hate MKV and I always remux files with H264 and AAC to MP4, because it just works - and it just works on my Samsung Galaxy S, too. I got several problems with MKV, so I dropped it.
It's not the MKV container that is bad, but you'll find a lot bad muxes everywhere.
A properly muxed MKV should give no problems at all. Also MKV's can handle almost any content there is.
Quote:
I did a draft for a simple but universal container format.
Hmm.. interesting : will we soon see this container in the wild ?
What content can it / can it not handle ? Any plans maybe for writing a muxer/demuxer for it ?
Quote:
What is wrong with WAVEPack Hybrid? It sounds 10000x better than any psycho format like mp3, AAC and vorbis, because it does not touch the frequency spectrum. That's why I wanted to use this.
I agree, hybrid wavepack is a very nice concept.
I still have to test the wavepack DS-filter : I wish it can connect to standard splitters like Lav-splitter, Haali and other MKV/MP4 splitters. It seems to have it's own "splitter" though, what makes me think it will only work with that...
Quote:
The WAVEPack decoder in libavcodec is not usable, it is very buggy. Sometimes you can hear "ticks" and sometimes any channel gets muted. The original decoder filter of core codec does not work when demuxed from MKV.
Are you talking about the DS-filter for wavepack ? (=Wavpackdsdecoder.ax)
Quote:
@PS: How can I cut an MKV to a piece of 3 seconds? Does MKVMerge support it?
Yup, see the tab "global" (in the MMG GUI) and look for "enable spliiting". It's also possible to do it from the MKVMerge command line using the proper switches.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter