Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 29th March 2009, 14:26   #161  |  Link
FDuck
video n00b

wow, my post is opaque; late nights, no sleep. Here we go again:

I put a DVD disc in my computer's DVD drive. I use PowerDVD to view it. I select subtitles on the movie main page in PowerDVD (turn subtitles "on"). I play the movie and can view/read those subtitles. So, I can see subtitles when direct from DVD.

I use DVDFab and/or use DVDecrypter to copy the DVD contents to my harddrive. I then use PowerDVD to view those files on my harddrive (the same ones I copied over). I do not see subtitles and the menu is grayed-out.

I use DVDSubEdit to open the "domain" files on my hard drive. I can easily see the subtitles. The subtitles are set to "Normal Start"; I change them all to "Forced Start" and then save all.

I use PowerDVD to play/view the files which I just saved. No subtitles are shown and menu is still grayed-out.

I have tried this procedure repeatedly using different DVDs, using different program options on both DVDecrypter and DVDFab - all without success in seeing the subtitles.

What am I missing?
Duck
FDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 23:05   #162  |  Link
Csimbi

Nice tool. Would it be possible to add subtitles to a DVD with this? (As a new feature.)
Old 9th January 2010, 23:08   #163  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csimbi View Post
Nice tool. Would it be possible to add subtitles to a DVD with this? (As a new feature.)
no, dvdsubedit works on the existing subs. There are many tools to add subs. The underlying problem is that when you do that, you have to grow the file (make space for the new packs with the subs info) and you have to mux the subs into the video and audio streams. That's not easy, and lengthy, and there are good tools for that, so that's why DVDSE does not support that.
J.
Old 30th April 2011, 20:56   #164  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

I've not used it in a long time, but had occasion to use this terrific tool to move a bunch of DVD subtitles today. Worked great. A question and a comment:

1. Once I used "Hide subpic" button on a subtitle, it seemed there was no way to get it back except "Reload SPU from file". Izzat right? The Color/Transparency slider wouldn't work.

2. I'd forgotten about the "Hide hearing impaired text" feature and it is well-hidden in the OCR menu. Man it works great, especially in that it takes-out the bracketed stuff even if it's embedded with other text. But I already re-did and burned my disc and am reluctant to use it again.

Guess I wanna suggest jeanl to call that menu Tools or some-such since the hearing impaired feature can be used w/o OCR'ing. Also--maybe after x years you will change this thread title to Lead with "DVDSubEdit"?
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 22:05   #165  |  Link
jeanl

I think you're right that once you hide the subpic you can't go back. It used to simply set the transparencies to full transparent on all the pixel types, but I think it removes the bitmap now.

As far as removing hearing impaired subpics, this does require OCR, which is why it's in the OCR menu. You can't hide the subpics for hearing impaired, unless you know the contents, hence the requirement for OCR first.

As far as the title of this thread, you're right! It might be time to update it!
Jeanl
Old 30th April 2011, 22:40   #166  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl View Post
...removing hearing impaired subpics, this does require OCR, which is why it's in the OCR menu. You can't hide the subpics for hearing impaired, unless you know the contents, hence the requirement for OCR first.
Ah, then selectively removing those is magical indeed, especially as it seems to happen in the wink of an eye.

Well, the thread/tool certainly deserved a bump--I had to search on 'jeanl' as I didn't even see it in the stickies!
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 12:57   #167  |  Link
kristian65

Any plans of making this great program working with BD??
Or any other easy way to force subs on BD subs
kristian65 is offline   Reply With Quote