Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 29th December 2004, 19:57   #1  |  Link
kempodragon

What is the correct VBV setting for authoring DVD's?

I need some help determining the correct VBV setting. Both TMpeg encoder and Tmpeg DVD author state the vbv is 224 kbs for DVD compliance. Yet when I looked at some of my DVD's with both Vobedit and Bitrate Viewer, both programs showed the VBV to be 112. Searching the forum, I came up with the same VBV setting on other people's analysis of their DVD's. What is going on? AFAIK, 112 is the setting for SVCD, yet it is being used in commercially produced DVD's.
kempodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 20:11   #2  |  Link
mpucoder

You are talking about MPEG-1, right? The confusion probably comes from the way the buffer size is specified in the sequence header, it is kilo-words not kilobytes. So if you look in VobEdit you will see 112, but that means 224KB.

Last edited by mpucoder; 29th December 2004 at 20:20.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2004, 05:43   #3  |  Link
kempodragon

SVCD uses Mpeg-2. In the Tmpenc SVCD template, the VBV is set at 112 kbs while DVD is set at 224 kbs. Bitrate Viewer and Vobedit don't list the type of unit, only the value, which is why I was confused. It's those little details that'll trip you up every time. Look at what happened to Mars orbital mission. One group used the metric system in their calculations, while another used the English system!! Result, CRASH and BURN!!!
kempodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2004, 13:12   #4  |  Link
Arky

Quote:
Originally posted by kempodragon
SVCD uses Mpeg-2. In the Tmpenc SVCD template, the VBV is set at 112 kbs while DVD is set at 224 kbs. Bitrate Viewer and Vobedit don't list the type of unit, only the value, which is why I was confused. It's those little details that'll trip you up every time. Look at what happened to Mars orbital mission. One group used the metric system in their calculations, while another used the English system!! Result, CRASH and BURN!!!

Lol - erm, I'm English, and I can sssure you that we use Metric (Millimetres, Kilograms, grams etc)- we haven't used the imperial system for many years, as a rule. It's the Yanks that use Imperial (Inches, pounds, ounces etc). The only exception is with Miles, which we do still use!

Back on topic, you would definitely set your encoder to use 224 for DVD purposes.

Arky ;o)

"The significant problems we have created... cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them" - Albert Einstein

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Ancient Chinese Proverb

www.DVDAfterEdit.com - Edit DVDs post-mux with perfect Spec'-compliance
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote