Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 20th February 2003, 15:12   #1  |  Link
El

Encoding - Film Restart During Copying

Hi!

I have ripped many DVD's using Smart Ripper 2.41, and I've recently acquired the update to DVDx (version 2.1 - much improved).

I have had two problems and I don't know whether or not the new version of DVDx is causing them, or if there is a copyguard which is causing this issue.

95% of my DVD copies are fine, but I've had two situations in which the start of the film is duplicated about 3 minutes into encoding. In other words, the film begins twice on the first CD for no apparent reason.

I have attempted to stop the encoding and restart the film at the second restart, but I'm always kicked back slightly into the first segment or titling credits.

The two DVD's in question are "The Others" and "Con Air" (Region 1). All of my other DVD's come out perfectly.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a remedy?

Thank you in advance for your ideas and comments.
El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 15:45   #2  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

My guess -- you are using SmartRipper in "File" mode -- and you are getting multiple angles in your .vob stream. Try using it in "Movie" mode, which will automatically select Angle 1 of the longest program chain. (You can select other angles or other PGCs.)

And no, there's no new protection scheme. The DVD standard is fixed, and there's nothing "special" about these disks, other than the use of multiangles or seamless branching, which is effectively the same for our purposes. I don't use DVDx -- haven't had time -- but my guess is it requires a .vob set with a single angle of video stream (such as if it uses DVD2AVI for frameserving).

For more info, see this guide on DVD structure. It's one of the many guides in Doom9's DVD Basics section.

Last edited by jggimi; 20th February 2003 at 15:47.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 23:32   #3  |  Link
El

Hi Jiggimi!

Thanks, but I'm already in 'movie mode' in Smart Ripper 2.41. I have not had this happen before and since you say that it's not in the DVD coding, then I wonder if the new problem is with DVDx 2.1 instead. <???>

I will read the DVD Guide Structure and Basics per your suggestion.

May I ask which encoder are you currently using?

The reason that I like DVDx is that it's relatively easy for the newbie. All you have to figure out is that your MUX rate should be at 1.5% and that your Padding Start should be at 40% and you're in business with no underflow errors. :-) The quality has also changed for the better. :-)

Thanks again! I appreciate your input and ideas.
Old 21st February 2003, 00:12   #4  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

If you're already using Movie mode, then my guess was likely wrong, your trouble may not be an Angle issue.
Quote:
May I ask which encoder are you currently using?
My primary encoding suite is Gordian Knot -- which I use for both dvd backup and MPEG2 captures -- because I usually produce DivX 5 video with MP3 audio, for AVI containers.

In concert with Gknot, I also use DivX 5 Enc, Virtual Dub, and Nandub as needed.

For the occasional SVCD, I use DVD2SVCD. That's mainly been for home videos (and ancient home movies that were transferred to video) for distribution to relatives.
Old 21st February 2003, 17:03   #5  |  Link
El

Hi Jggimi,

Yes, I'm sure that Smartripper is always defaulting to "Angle 1". That only leaves DVDx 2.1 as the culpret since this version was only released a few weeks ago.

I backed up "The Mummy Returns" and "Windtalkers" yesterday without any problems, so I'm slightly confused regarding this issue; not a problem though, but I'm sure that it will happen again. LOL.

I see that you use many different programs to complete specialized tasks. I hope to be at your level some day.

Quote:
My primary encoding suite is Gordian Knot -- which I use for both dvd backup and MPEG2 captures -- because I usually produce DivX 5 video with MP3 audio, for AVI containers.
Is there an advantage to using MP3 audio rather than AVI for backups? I understand all of the other program references, with the exception of "for AVI containers".

Thanks again!
Old 21st February 2003, 19:18   #6  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

I'm no .avi expert, but my understanding is that AVI it is a "container" format that can hold video, audio, or both, and supports a wide variety of both types of data. In addition, AVI even supports multipe audio streams. Nandub, for example, is the tool I use to create .avi files with multiple audio streams, so I can have commentary or 2nd language.

I've used multiple video codecs -- formats, if you will -- with it, such as HuffYUV, MJPEG, XviD, DivX 3.11 (SBC), DivX 4, DivX 5, and even Microsoft's MP4V3.

In the same way, I've used multiple audio codecs -- formats -- with it, and I've used MP3, Linear PCM (.wav), and Dolby Digital (.ac3), depending on needs. The vast majority of my soundtracks are transcoded from their source format into MP3.

There are other container formats, such as the Video Object Block used in DVDs (.vob) that you're already familiar with, and one popular container used by members here is Ogg Media (.ogm), which while recognized as superior to AVI, is not as universally accepted.
Old 8th March 2003, 03:00   #7  |  Link
El

Video codecs

Hi jggimi --- Sorry for the delay. I got side-tracked.

I gather that you prefer to use DivX, but when I first began backing-up DVD's I was told that the DivX format was not as good as the VOB to MPEG format. Yet I do see that most users prefer the DivX method of creating a DVD copy.

My application is only for one audio track which should make my job easier, and yet for some reason it's becoming totally perplexing.

I have just ripped an adult title for instance. The film starts converting at 28 minutes into the DVD, omitting certain chapters of the DVD for no apparent reason. I am in Movie Mode and everything else is in the default mode for Smart Ripper.

I have re-installed my old DVDx_2.0, and the result is the same. Then I uninstalled DVDx_2.0 and reinstalled DVDx_2.1 with the same outcome.

I can only assume that my Smart Ripper (2.41) must somehow be corrupted, so now that is my next small task to perform. If that doesn't work then I am firmly convinced that there is a new type of copyguard on these brand new 2002 - 2003 DVD's; there would be no other explanation possible after I converted so many successfully last year.

After that, I can think of no other option than to purchase a DVD as a back-up copy, because these process' are far too time-consuming with varying and quite often disappointing results.

Here on Long Island we are the highest electric paying utility in the nation, and buying a DVD for $19.00 just might be less expensive than running a 6-amp computer for 4 hours anyway. LOL. <joke>

Thank you for your help and explanations. I really do appreciate it.
Old 8th March 2003, 04:12   #8  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

You may want to try a different ripper, such as DVD Decrypter or Vstrip, since your content seems to be causing SmartRipper problems.

No, there's no new "copyguard" -- sorry, that's not it. DVD is a standard, but SmartRipper may not be able to handle every possibility within the standard.

Doom9 has guides for DVD Decrypter, Vstrip, and VstripGUI.
Old 10th March 2003, 13:54   #9  |  Link
El

Replacing Ripper

Hi Jggimi!

I'm going to do what you suggest and change my ripper per your advice.

I must tell you that I found something rather interesting out just yesterday. These DVD's without encryption aren't ripping correctly, yet my encrypted DVD's are ripping properly.

Is there possibly a different setting for unencrypted DVD's within the ripper?

I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem but I have notice that films that rip properly start with an LBA value of "1" within the ripper read-out windows. If I am not mistaken (and I probably am) the DVD's that don't rip properly have an LBA value of "0" within the ripper.

Also, one DVD that didn't work was read differently than normal Smart Ripper had to open the files with "Win IO" instead of the standard open, the duplication speed was way above normal too.

As usual, thanks!
Old 10th March 2003, 15:50   #10  |  Link
El

New Ripper Installed

Hi Jggimi,

I have installed the DVD Decrypter, but the DVD that I am currently working on still starts at 2 minutes, 8 seconds into the film. Any attempt to go backward in my encoder only increases the time even though I am trying to go backward.

This has been my experience with several DVD's now.

However, DVD Decrypter seems to be giving me a slightly better picture. I noticed that the "key" in Smart Ripper was "C 00000000" and that in DVD Decrypter the "key" was "C000000...63", perhaps DVD Decrypter is slightly more accurate.

Thanks!
Old 10th March 2003, 17:37   #11  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

You've got me stumped on this. (I may appear knowledgeable, but it's only a facade.)
Old 10th March 2003, 19:44   #12  |  Link
manono

Hi-

You might post the problem in the Decrypting Forum, as the author of DVD Decrypter is the Moderator there. But I'm not sure I understand. Is this a Decrypting problem or a DVDx problem? When you open the vobs in DVD2AVI, can you see the whole movie? When you play the vobs, do they play OK? If so, then it sounds like a DVDx problem. Maybe give DVD2ONE or Instant Copy a try (they have their own forum here).

Here on Long Island we are the highest electric paying utility in the nation,

I pay 21 cents/kilowatthour. Can you beat that?
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2003, 13:46   #13  |  Link
El

Dazed And Confused

Thanks Jggimi! I think that you know your stuff despite the fact that I am having problems copying a few films (luckily not all).

I hear what you are saying regarding "there is only one DVD format", but I am increasingly getting the sense that there is an invisible encryption on the few 2002 - 2003 DVD's that I have had trouble with, otherwise I'd be having trouble with ALL DVD copies and that is not the case. Thanks for trying!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Manono!

It looks as if I have to revise my previous claim to being the highest rate-paying utility in the nation ... I will have to revise it to "the highest rate-paying utility in the Continental U.S.". LOL. You have us beat! I'm currently paying 18 cents per kilowatt hour. I have always heard that Hawaii has the highest prices in EVERY regard, so you haven't really surprised me. Hawaii and Alaska are my dream vacation spots, because I love natural wonders rather than the usual tourist stuff, although I'm sure that you have plenty of those too. I usually avoid those pre-canned tourist places myself and cut my own trail, figuratively speaking.

I have attempted to see if my problem is with the DVDx encoder. I reloaded DVDx 2.0 in a separate directory and had the same problem. I had never seen this problem in DVDx 2.0. I uninstalled it leaving the upgrade version on my computer, DVDx 2.1.

I only used DVD2AVI once without success, and another time with success, but DVDx requires an .IFO file and therefore I was not able to convert (encode) my copy into an MPEG file.

I will check out DVD2ONE and Instant Copy, if I get the same result with either one of them then I will move over to the Decryptor Forum, even though to me that will mean that there most definitely is a new type of coding on these DVD's.

Thanks for the continued advice!