Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 3rd November 2005, 00:48   #41  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, that's interesting. Are you sure you use the right version of MkISOFS? You need v2.01 or +. You can verify in the burn setrup dialog.

Explanation of the error:
To place the layer break at the right position, I need to know how many sectors are used by the file system and various headers before the data of the first file (VIDEO_TS.IFO) begins in the ISO. Knowing this value, I can compute the gaps to leave between the files to place the layer break where it should be.
Since PgcEdit rely on MkISOFS to build the ISO, I cannot compute the position of VIDEO_TS.IFO. And, if something is changed in a future version of MkISOFS, the computed position may be wrong.
So, I use a trick to determine the real position of the file: I launch MkISOFS with the same arguments than for the final burn, but instead of writing the ISO on HDD, the output is piped in PgcEdit, and analyzed. VIDEO_TS.IFO must begin with the string "DVDVIDEO-VMG". So, I examine the beginning of each sector, and when the string is found, MkISOFS is killed, and the process continues normally.
In your case, the string DVDVIDEO-VMG is never found, or it is not at the beginning of a sector. Therefore, either there is a bug in your version of MkISOFS, or the identifier of VIDEO_TS.IFO is missing or corrupted.

Could you verify with IfoEdit: load VIDEO_TS.IFO, and expand the VMGM_MAT table. The identifier is at offfset 0, in the top of the window, and should be DVDVIDEO-VMG.

BTW, someone else had already experienced a similar problem. I don't remember exactly what was the problem, but I think it was related to a wrong version of MkISOFS. I think that problem was repoprted here at Doom9 forum. Try a search...
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 19:02   #42  |  Link
lemmy999

This may be a stupid question, but the log file from PGCEdit gives this result:

Code:
Layer break is at absolute sector 2058704.  (Offset in L0 is 52189.)
Layer break cell:
2006515: VTST 1 , 4     TTN 4     (25:40)       Title 4      Cell   1 (00:00:22.10), V/CID: 4/1
   ''  : VTST 1 , 7     TTN 7     (2:31:49)     Title 7      Cell  21 (00:00:22.10), V/CID: 4/1
When I later burn this image wtih ImgBurn and I want to manually specify the offset, do I put in 2058704 or do I put in 52189?
lemmy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 19:24   #43  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

Just leave ImgBurn's Layer Break settings on 'Calculate Optimal'. It'll pick up the correct value from the IFO files without you having to mess around.
Old 21st December 2005, 21:56   #44  |  Link
lemmy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING UK!
Just leave ImgBurn's Layer Break settings on 'Calculate Optimal'. It'll pick up the correct value from the IFO files without you having to mess around.
Thanks. But I went ahead and started a burn with the 2058704 value. I will not be able to check on it until tomorrow. Will that be the correct value?
lemmy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 14:28   #45  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, don't worry. But remember to reset the DVDD setting to Optimal before burning another DL, or the wrong value will be used!
Old 28th February 2006, 22:38   #46  |  Link
cmurda
Such a DVD Burning Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECK38
Oh , very definately is over dvd5 size (>7.5G), the burn window definately says so, the message is in red, and the Layer Break section is not opened. And yes, I read the part about NERO removing the gaps, absolutely. The Burns I've done with NERO have been files, not ISO's, and 'just for fun' I ran the sectors check on the blank disk, and it matched what PGCEdit has as the default.

So, it's just one of those 'head scratchers' type of questions....
Hello everyone. This is a fantastic site. I've learned quite a bit just breezing through the various parts of the forum. I am however hung up on trying to use PGCedit. I seem to have the same problem as Beck38 here. After I get to step 6, I get the image classic directory, I put my source and backup directories and after it is done I never get to step 7. The size is definitely greater than the DVD-5. Do I maybe have something on options wrong or am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.
cmurda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 22:58   #47  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

What operating system are you using? Windows XP?
Old 1st March 2006, 02:09   #48  |  Link
cmurda

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
What operating system are you using? Windows XP?
Yes, Im using xp.

Last edited by cmurda; 1st March 2006 at 22:16.
Old 2nd March 2006, 00:38   #49  |  Link
cmurda

Rolz, Would you guess its the options I have ticked or maybe the process I am going through to get to that step?
Old 2nd March 2006, 00:44   #50  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, I really don't know! I don't understand this problem. Seems it is present only on a very limited number of computers. Maybe something strange in your system, such as a bad DLL.

Last thing to verify: do you have some foreign characters in the filenames or paths of your DVD or mkisofs?
Old 2nd March 2006, 00:50   #51  |  Link
cmurda

Quote:
Well, I really don't know! I don't understand this problem. Seems it is present only on a very limited number of computers. Maybe something strange in your system, such as a bad DLL.

Last thing to verify: do you have some foreign characters in the filenames or paths of your DVD or mkisofs?
No, but I do have the directory for img classic on my desktop and img burn under programs. Could this be the problem? When I dwnlded img classic I never separately dwnlded mkisofs. Do I need to? I also wanted to ask you about when I receive a message something to the effect of a problem with layer 0 when I open imgburn and start the burn after classic has worked its magic. I also am trying to understand the advantage of setting your own layer break. I'm sure many of my basic questions have already been answered but I haven't found them when I searched. I burn DVD to HD using dvd d ver 3.5.4.0, then use blautach's guide, i burn/iso in pgcedit after opening where the dvd has been burned to on my hd, then img classic comes up I put directories in and make image. I never get to step 7 in the guide. So far the DVDs have burnt well although some problems skipping a bit in my old samsung dvd players. Is my process here sound? Will the automatic lb's be acceptable?

Last edited by cmurda; 2nd March 2006 at 00:56.
Old 2nd March 2006, 01:06   #52  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, you must be sure that cygwin2.dll is in the same directory than mkisofs.exe. Might be the cause of the problem too. But you can theoretically put the files in any directory, if you avoid the foreign characters. Anyway, try to put it is C:\, just to be sure. It's more cautious. There are so many limitations in the way Windows handles the file names!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurda
I also wanted to ask you about when I receive a message something to the effect of a problem with layer 0 when I open imgburn and start the burn after classic has worked its magic.
I don't understand your question. What do you mean?

The advantage of selecting your own LB is that... you can set it where you want! Since with most standalone players, the playback stops for one second or two then the LB is reached, it is better to put it where it is not too noticeable.
Of course, if you are happy with the original position, you can leave it there.
Old 2nd March 2006, 01:16   #53  |  Link
cmurda

Yeah, my question is poorly worded. Here is the message from imgburn.

Optimal L1 data zone start LBA: None found! (VTS_02)
This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc. None of the cells meet the "DVD-Video specification" criteria for a potential layer break position. Do you want to continue anyway?
Old 2nd March 2006, 02:40   #54  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

This message means there is no cell suitable for the layer break! Don't burn the DVD, or you will produce a coaster!

Have you generated this ISO with PgcEDit? If it's the case, then there is a bug in PgcEdit!

If you did the ISO with ImgTool, then it's normal: you cannot create DL DVDs with ImgTool, because it doesn't position the LB cell for you. This is why you need PgcEdit.
Old 2nd March 2006, 04:40   #55  |  Link
cmurda

Quote:
This message means there is no cell suitable for the layer break! Don't burn the DVD, or you will produce a coaster!

Have you generated this ISO with PgcEDit? If it's the case, then there is a bug in PgcEdit!

If you did the ISO with ImgTool, then it's normal: you cannot create DL DVDs with ImgTool, because it doesn't position the LB cell for you. This is why you need PgcEdit.
Oh, I'm messing up then. When I get to step 6. I make sure info is correct etc on the main burn dialogue screen then I press OK. When I do img tool pops up and asks for the source directories. I put them in and then after its over I go to imgburn. This is when I got that message. So, in step 6 after pressing OK, should I indeed see imgtool popping up or should I immediately be able to manually set layer break. I'm beginning to think I have a virus or spyware affecting my dll.
Old 2nd March 2006, 10:20   #56  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

ImgTool is never used by PgcEdit, only mkisofs.exe. Mkisofs is available in the same directory that ImgTool Classic, but is an independant DOS program (without icon).

Maybe you have configured ImgTool.exe instead of mkisofs.exe in the burn setup dialog? Verify that you can see the imgburn version number by clicking on the Check Version button.
That could explain all problems: PgcEdit is unable to find the first VIDEO_TS sector, and ImgTool pops up when you click OK, because it is launched instead of mkisofs.
Old 4th March 2006, 11:10   #57  |  Link
cmurda

Quote:
ImgTool is never used by PgcEdit, only mkisofs.exe. Mkisofs is available in the same directory that ImgTool Classic, but is an independant DOS program (without icon).

Maybe you have configured ImgTool.exe instead of mkisofs.exe in the burn setup dialog? Verify that you can see the imgburn version number by clicking on the Check Version button.
That could explain all problems: PgcEdit is unable to find the first VIDEO_TS sector, and ImgTool pops up when you click OK, because it is launched instead of mkisofs.
Thanks for the response. I think you are correct sir. I'm going to try to setup the directory in the burn setup correctly. Wonder if this was the problem with the other people's computers. Tell you in a second.
Old 4th March 2006, 11:49   #58  |  Link
cmurda

Yes, that was exactly the problem. Now, I see the layer break. So, I guess I was bypassing pgcedit and having imgtool called on to creat the iso. So, if I created the iso with imgtool and went straight to burning with imgburn would I run into problems. The problem I've been noticing doing it the way I have been is that on the computer the burned disc plays fine but in my older Samsungs and the xbox I get skips and freezes occassionally. Sometimes to the point of the movie freezing all together. I'm trying to isolate whether the problem is likely caused from not so great media (Ridata dvd+r DL RITEK-D01-01), my dvd players, or the process I used to burn them. My wife laughs at me because I blame the DVD players for all my semi unsuccessful burns.
Old 4th March 2006, 12:07   #59  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK. Good to know.
Indeed, if you created the ISO with ImgTool instead of PgcEdit/mkisofs, the layer break cannot be set at the right position. The DVD should play on a PC, since the soft players are less picky, but a standalone player will probably hang when the second layer is accessed.
I will try to add a check to ensure that the right exe is selected.
Old 4th March 2006, 12:47   #60  |  Link
cmurda

Quote:
OK. Good to know.
Indeed, if you created the ISO with ImgTool instead of PgcEdit/mkisofs, the layer break cannot be set at the right position. The DVD should play on a PC, since the soft players are less picky, but a standalone player will probably hang when the second layer is accessed.
I will try to add a check to ensure that the right exe is selected.
Oh, makes sense. But, sometimes the freezes will stop, play for a while ok, then start again in random intervals. Do you think this is still a byproduct of the layer break set incorrectly? Thanks for all your help.

As far as the exe check. Probably a good idea. There are others like me that seem to somehow find trouble in the simplest of computer related tasks. The message you need ver 2.01 does show but didn't give me a red flag. I took it as a reminder. Maybe if the message says no mkisofs.exe file found in directory, it would have clued me in.