Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th June 2007, 00:45   #201  |  Link
rvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netuser View Post
I have good computer and the video still dont wok with mplayer, i haev Core 2 duo 7200, 2 GB ram, ATI 16OO with 512MB , hope one day they will fix HD playback in mplayer.
In the mplayer-users mailing list, it's usually suggested to use -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all.

From mplayer manpage:
Quote:
skiploopfilter=<skipvalue>

Skips the loop filter (AKA deblocking) during H.264 decoding. Since the filtered frame is supposed to be used as reference for decoding dependent frames this has a worse effect on quality than not doing deblocking on e.g. MPEG-2 video. But at least for high bitrate HDTV this provides a big speedup with no visible quality loss.

<skipvalue> can be either one of the following:

none: Never skip.
default: Skip useless processing steps (e.g. 0 size packets in AVI).
nonref: Skip frames that are not referenced (i.e. not used for decoding other frames, the error cannot "build up").
bidir: Skip B-Frames.
nonkey: Skip all frames except keyframes.
all: Skip all frames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBG View Post
You have a very nice mkv support for your player. We can see the name of the streams and all chapters.
Unfortunatly 99% of my files are mp4 and for mp4 there is no support for chapters, streamnames and tags. It would be wonderful to have a full mp4 suport - do you plan to add something like this?
Unfortunately I don't have any mp4 video with chapters. If someone could point me to a mp4 sample video with chapters I could see if mplayer offers info about chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
rvm, I got a few more feature requests ^^

1. If I select Video -> Size -> 100% and then accidentally resize the window by hand, I can not go back to 100%, because 100% is already checked and cannot be clicked again. So I have to go to some other size first, before I can go back to 100%. Therefore I suggest you add something like "Custom" (maybe with a separator) to Video -> Size, which will be checked automatically as soon as the user manually resizes the window.
I'm aware of that problem. I'll try to fix it.

Quote:
2. SMPlayer already has a "Software Volume Control" checkbox in preferences. Unfortunately the maximum volume is still limited to 100% when software volume control is enabled. The reason I sometimes used software volume control is that I want to go above 100% with some very quiet videos. Would be nice if I could go up to at least 300% volume with software control enabled. Also "Software Volume Control" in the "Audio" menu instead of Preferences would be fine for faster access.
I didn't know that was possible. Looking at the manpage I guess it's the -softvol-max option.

Quote:
3. When speaking about volume: I also noticed that "Volume Normalization" is not available in SMPlayer. Well, I don't like MPlayer's volume normalization very much and only use it here and there, but shouldn't it be added for completeness?
I hardly use audio filters or audio options, so I don't know much about them. Thanks for the tip. I'll add that option.

Last edited by rvm; 11th June 2007 at 01:05.
rvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 00:52   #202  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
I have good computer and the video still dont wok with mplayer, i haev Core 2 duo 7200, 2 GB ram, ATI 16OO with 512MB , hope one day they will fix HD playback in mplayer.
Can you provide a sample?
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 09:03   #203  |  Link
ExtraEye

what LoRd_MuldeR suggested doesn't work. so if you could add cropping or maybe making it possible to zoom out, that would be great. in general the player is great. I like the way it remembers the settings used for each specific video and how it remembers where it stopped last time. it would be great if it was possible to disable that specifically for audio.
I'd like to know what's the difference between the different "output drivers" (openGL,directx, etc). which are recommended for use?
Also I couldn't find any keybord shortcut for switching to the next track in the playlist, it's not that awfull to fast forward all the way to the end but still, normally you could skip to the next track whith ease.
The volume control works nicely except that it usually plays at full volume for a sec, and then settles into the desired volume. so you should somehow make it take into account the volume control before it starts playing.
Old 11th June 2007, 09:45   #204  |  Link
SealTooGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvm View Post
Unfortunately with some formats mplayer can't switch audio streams at run-time. I don't have any mp4 with 2 audio streams to test with, but I guess this is the case.
Although your suggestion is workable, you might find this mp4 with 2 audio streams useful for developing purpose.
SealTooGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 10:32   #205  |  Link
rvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraEye View Post
what LoRd_MuldeR suggested doesn't work. so if you could add cropping or maybe making it possible to zoom out, that would be great.
I think zoom out can be done. I didn't implement it because I didn't think it could be useful.

Quote:
I'd like to know what's the difference between the different "output drivers" (openGL,directx, etc). which are recommended for use?
directx gives the best performance (it's the one that uses less CPU). The problem for Windows Vista users is that it disables Aero.

directx:noaccel on the other hand uses a lot of CPU and quality is very bad. It's not recommended.

gl and gl2 requires 3D acceleration in the graphic card. It gives much better performance than directx:noaccel, but not so much as directx. Quality is also very good. It can be useful for Windows Vista users. gl/gl2 didn't work quite well (inside frontends) until recent releases of MPlayer, and it still has some issues.

The other drivers just do funny things (like matrixview) or save the video as image files.

You can find more info in the MPlayer manpage.

Quote:
Also I couldn't find any keybord shortcut for switching to the next track in the playlist, it's not that awfull to fast forward all the way to the end but still, normally you could skip to the next track whith ease.
The shortcuts for previous and next item in playlist are < and > but I've just realized that they only work in the playlist window. I'll try to fix it.

Quote:
The volume control works nicely except that it usually plays at full volume for a sec, and then settles into the desired volume. so you should somehow make it take into account the volume control before it starts playing.
Yes, the thing is that the volume is controlled by MPlayer, and SMPlayer has to wait until the MPlayer process is running to tell it to change volume.
I miss a -volume option to pass the initial volume in the command line.
Old 11th June 2007, 16:20   #206  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
what LoRd_MuldeR suggested doesn't work.
What exactly doesn't work?

It works here to add black borders around the video via the "expand" filter. Isn't that similar to zooming out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvm
I hardly use audio filters or audio options, so I don't know much about them. Thanks for the tip. I'll add that option.
I personally don't like MPlayer's normalizer very much, because it's not very smooth. Nevertheless volnorm=2 seems to give much better results, as it will use several samples to smooth the variations.
Old 11th June 2007, 16:33   #207  |  Link
ExtraEye

It is similar but it's not happening for some reason when I try to use it.
Besides, even if there's a way, I think having the ability to crop while the video is playing is important...
Old 11th June 2007, 17:59   #208  |  Link
rvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealTooGreat View Post
Although your suggestion is workable, you might find this mp4 with 2 audio streams useful for developing purpose.
I tested it with one of the latest svn releases of mplayer (SVN-r23386), and audio switching doesn't work with the default demuxer. It does work with the lavf demuxer, although after switching the audio is not synchronized (can be fixed going back 10 seconds).

You can add -demuxer lavf in Preferences->Advanced, that way it'll try to use the lavf demuxer for all videos, but it doesn't work well with some formats, for example there are no subtitles in mkv videos.

Quote:
It is similar but it's not happening for some reason when I try to use it.
Besides, even if there's a way, I think having the ability to crop while the video is playing is important...
I'll try to add options for zoom out (I think cropping is another thing), but right now you can add something like expand=-50:-50 in Preferences->Advanced->Video filters

and a border of 50 pixels will be added to all videos:

Last edited by rvm; 11th June 2007 at 18:19.
Old 11th June 2007, 18:37   #209  |  Link
olivierdb

Hi, Does SMPlayer play M4A, i.e. AAC (or even better: AAC+) audio?

It doesn't seem to work on my PC!!

Thank you.
olivierdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 18:50   #210  |  Link
ExtraEye

thx rvm, that worked well.
Old 11th June 2007, 18:53   #211  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
thx rvm, that worked well.
That was exactly what I suggested before
Old 11th June 2007, 18:55   #212  |  Link
rvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierdb View Post
Hi, Does SMPlayer play M4A, i.e. AAC (or even better: AAC+) audio?

It doesn't seem to work on my PC!!

Thank you.
Just tested some m4a and aac files from this samples directory and (at least in linux) they play perfectly.
Old 11th June 2007, 21:53   #213  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

rvm, I just noticed another small "problem" with SMPlayer's Video -> Size menu: In some cases SMPlayer doesn't resize the main window properly. The video gets the desired size (e.g. 100%), but the window is too large. This results in black borders.

For example if I load a 640x480 video, it first looks fine. But as soon as I select Video -> Size -> 50%, then I get black bars on the left and on the right side, like this:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5...esize50lk9.png

When I then select Video -> Size -> 100%, I get (small) black bars on the top and on the bottom like this:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8...size100dt0.png

Nevertheless, pressing Stop + Play resizes properly back to 100%.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th June 2007 at 21:55.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 23:26   #214  |  Link
Netuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvm View Post
In the mplayer-users mailing list, it's usually suggested to use -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all.
Where is this option ? how to chaneg it ?

thanks
Netuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 02:54   #215  |  Link
rvm

Quote:
Where is this option ? how to chaneg it ?
Options->Preferences->Advanced. Type -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all in the Options field.

Quote:
rvm, I just noticed another small "problem" with SMPlayer's Video -> Size menu: In some cases SMPlayer doesn't resize the main window properly. The video gets the desired size (e.g. 100%), but the window is too large. This results in black borders.
I think this is caused by the language toolbar. When the window is about to be resized the language toolbar is above, next to the main toolbar. But when the window is actually resized, the language toolbar doesn't fit and Qt moves it down, so the video window is smaller than expected and the video has to be reduced to keep aspect ratio, so black borders appear. If you hide in that moment the language toolbar (F6) you'll see that the video fits perfectly.

When you make the window bigger then it happens the opposite, the language toolbar is moved up because there's enough space for it, leaving the video window a little bigger than expected.

Last edited by rvm; 12th June 2007 at 03:13.
Old 12th June 2007, 10:17   #216  |  Link
ExtraEye

Quote:
That was exactly what I suggested before
yeah, it's my fault because when you told me to do it I put it in "options" while I should have written it in "Video filters". So when he showed the picture it helped me. So I apologize :P
Old 12th June 2007, 13:17   #217  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
yeah, it's my fault because when you told me to do it I put it in "options" while I should have written it in "Video filters". So when he showed the picture it helped me. So I apologize :P
no prob

The difference is, that "Video Filters" will automatically prefix the required -vf-add, while "Options" will not...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th June 2007 at 17:29. Reason: typo
Old 12th June 2007, 16:41   #218  |  Link
vio_man

Your installer creates a new entry on the Windows Add/Remove everytime users installs a new version. You should change that to overwrite previous entry.
vio_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 20:50   #219  |  Link
ExtraEye

I was wondering if the inloop filter in AVC is working by default or am I supposed to enable "Deblock" for AVC content.
Old 12th June 2007, 21:01   #220  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I was wondering if the inloop filter in AVC is working by default or am I supposed to enable "Deblock" for AVC content.
Inloop Deblocking is a mandatory feature of the H.264 format! For example all P- and B-Frame refer to the already deblocked frames. Therefore every H.264 decoder has to use Inloop-Deblocking, always! If you force the decoder to by-pass Inloop-Deblocking this will result in corrupted output. Not only the picture will be more blocky, also you will get further artifacts due to invalid reference frames. So forcing libavcodec to disable Inloop-Deblocking is a trade-off: It might speed-up decoding, but you will have to live with distorted output. I would only use it, in case nothing else helps...

Also note that "normal" postprocessing/deblocking is something completely separate from H.264's Inloop Deblocking. In contrast to MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 ASP, you won't need further postprocessing for H.264 contents (well, when decoding properly).

// EDIT

Disabling the Inloop Deblocking only on "None Ref Frames" (hence B-Frames) might be the save solution to avoid distortions, but of course it won't speed-up decoding as much as full skipping.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th June 2007 at 21:20. Reason: typo