Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 21st June 2011, 23:24   #201  |  Link
thewonderer

Join m2ts parts and extract audio fails when temp path changed

Hi,

I have attached a couple of screens of what occurs when i just change the temp folder to e:\temp instead of default c:\temp

Straight away you can see that it just 'sit's and does not progress with the join.

As soon as I change that setting back to default it starts working fine.

As for the DTS problem I had, i wonder if its to do with the new arcsoft option in this version. I have unticked it and will wait for the 5 hour encode (i5-2500) to finish.

Would it be possible to have a sample encode option in the future where you can type it can just create a small preview clip? I know that as the file size is pre-determined it would still have to do pass 1 of the x264 encode. Maybe a rough estimate of file size or orig and target might get close...

thanks
Attached Images

thewonderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:29   #202  |  Link
Balthazar2k4

Can someone explain to me the value of fast_pskip? Also, I thought the presets were x264 presets and when I selected slow that would equate to any other program using x264 slow preset, but I find now that fast_pskip and ref=5 is enabled with BDtoAVCHD as opposed to no_fast_pskip and ref=4 in other programs like BluRip. I guess I don't understand the presets.
Balthazar2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:03   #203  |  Link
thewonderer

I have a few features that I hope you can implement in future releases...

* A log verbose log of encodes which are stored in a sub folder of bdtoavchd. From the options you can choose how many log files the folder can contain before removing the oldest.
* A way to choose a start and/or stop time for a encode, so the long end credits can be removed if desired.
* A tool that can verify the final encode is correct (video and audio) are suitable for BD-R and size is OK too.

Can you give some more information about each of the options, maybe some tooltips when the cursor hovers over the options? For instance the options recommend using arcsoft to downgrade true HD... but where should arcsoft decoder be stored?

Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:48   #204  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewonderer View Post
Hi,

I have attached a couple of screens of what occurs when i just change the temp folder to e:\temp instead of default c:\temp

Straight away you can see that it just 'sit's and does not progress with the join.
The program was given a drive letter as another. The important thing is the hardware that's on that drive letter. Probably your hard drive E: is too slow or is broken.

You can do the following test. Open a command window and type this:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\BDtoAVCHD\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "X:\PATH TO\APOCALYPSE NOW BD" 1) 2: "E:\TEMP\video.mkv" 3: "E:\TEMP\audio.dts"
Replace "Program Files (x86)" with "Program Files" if your Windows is 32 bit and "X:\PATH TO" with source real path.

If it does not work for you, then the problem has nothing to do with my software.

Quote:
As for the DTS problem I had, i wonder if its to do with the new arcsoft option in this version. I have unticked it and will wait for the 5 hour encode (i5-2500) to finish.
Regardless of how put Arcsoft option:

1) Is only used when converting the HD audio to AC3 or FLAC and you are not doing any of those things.
2) If you check it and not have installed Arcsoft nothing happens. (only is a preference to use if have it)
pistacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:06   #205  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Can someone explain to me the value of fast_pskip? Also, I thought the presets were x264 presets and when I selected slow that would equate to any other program using x264 slow preset, but I find now that fast_pskip and ref=5 is enabled with BDtoAVCHD as opposed to no_fast_pskip and ref=4 in other programs like BluRip. I guess I don't understand the presets.
I can not say anything about the other programs but my own does not change the default value of no_fast_pskip parameter.

The default depends on the preset:

placebo: no_fast_pskip
For the rest (..., medium, slow, slower, veryslow): fast_pskip
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:47   #206  |  Link
Balthazar2k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistacho View Post
I can not say anything about the other programs but my own does not change the default value of no_fast_pskip parameter.

The default depends on the preset:

placebo: no_fast_pskip
For the rest (..., medium, slow, slower, veryslow): fast_pskip
Thanks Pistacho. I wonder why everyone else is overriding the pskip in the preset? I did some looking around and evidently fast_pskip can create some small level of artifacting. It seems to be a hotly debated topic, so I am not really sure if there would be a noticeable difference or not. Would you please tell me how to use the x264 switches option under the 'Advanced' menu? I would like to try the no_fast_pskip option. Do I need to replace all of the arguments or just add the ones I want to use in addition to the preset?
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:42   #207  |  Link
pistacho

Just add --no-fast-pskip in "Advanced Options". Anyway if the codec developers put this option only in the placebo preset means something...

Last edited by pistacho; 23rd June 2011 at 14:55.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:31   #208  |  Link
Balthazar2k4

Quote:
Just add --no-fast-pskip in "Advanced Options". Anyway if the codec developers put this option only in the placebo preset means something...
Thanks Pistacho. I will give that a try tonight and, yes, the fact that it is in the 'Placebo' preset probably DOES say something indeed.
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:47   #209  |  Link
thewonderer

Quote:
The program was given a drive letter as another. The important thing is the hardware that's on that drive letter. Probably your hard drive E: is too slow or is broken.

I can confirm that my E drive which was used is a different drive, but it has a faster throughput (over 100Mbps) that my main drive and has 2TB free. I will give that test a try later.

You can do the following test. Open a command window and type this:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\BDtoAVCHD\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "X:\PATH TO\APOCALYPSE NOW BD" 1) 2: "E:\TEMP\video.mkv" 3: "E:\TEMP\audio.dts"
Replace "Program Files (x86)" with "Program Files" if your Windows is 32 bit and "X:\PATH TO" with source real path.

If it does not work for you, then the problem has nothing to do with my software.

Regardless of how put Arcsoft option:

1) Is only used when converting the HD audio to AC3 or FLAC and you are not doing any of those things.
2) If you check it and not have installed Arcsoft nothing happens. (only is a preference to use if have it)
Thanks, so not really relevant like you said.

Thank you for the quick reply.
Old 24th June 2011, 00:14   #210  |  Link
thewonderer

BUG REPORT:

This is odd, I just selected another blu-ray to test with. I selected DTS-HD MA, but when i went to the options to check everything was set ok and made no changes and saved, it reverted to a AC3 track. This happened earlier today, so I un-installed the app and deleted the reg settings.

Tested on another image and it does not change the audio selection, how strange. Went back to the other backup and as soon as i go into settings it does the same, changes from one audio track DTS MA to ac3

The only way around the problem disc was to scan the bit rates as soon as i had selected the disc and then select the DTS MA track. Now i can see from the c:\temp folder it is extracting the dtshd track and not the ac3...

---- Just checked the log of extracting dtshd ok, noticed this error 'Adding fps value to MKV header failed. <WARNING>' anything to worry about?

Last edited by thewonderer; 24th June 2011 at 00:37.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:52   #211  |  Link
pistacho

I see no bug in the explanation you give. I only see you're using the program incorrectly.

So that you go into settings each time you open a disc?

The normal way to proceed is:

1) Open a disk or backup
2) Scan bitrates
3) Set desired track, audio format, output media, etc.. in main window
4) Add a job

No need to go all in Settings except for the first time when you install the program.
Old 24th June 2011, 19:02   #212  |  Link
soneca

Converting an mkv of 5.46 GB for AVCHD (DVD5) size is always above the limit, about 14MB (4.714.987.340 bytes)
soneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 00:38   #213  |  Link
thewonderer

Quote:
I see no bug in the explanation you give. I only see you're using the program incorrectly.

So that you go into settings each time you open a disc?

The normal way to proceed is:

1) Open a disk or backup
2) Scan bitrates
3) Set desired track, audio format, output media, etc.. in main window
4) Add a job

No need to go all in Settings except for the first time when you install the program.

Sorry, my explanation was not clear.

My normal process is, select the BD folder, select the audio track (usually default to the master track) and BD-25 as the size. Then I click ADD and if MA audio, it asks to scan bitrate. I have always done it this way.

With this problem backup, if I let it do it that way, when it's finished, it ignores the selected MA track and chooses a Ac3 track. If i check the queue and expand it, I can see its selected the AC3 track even though if showed the MA track when i clicked ADD.

The way I got around this was to select the open the BD folder, ensure the MA track was selected and then manually click on the SCAN BITRATES folder, and then add it to the queue. The program would then keep the MA track and not revert to the AC3 track.
Old 25th June 2011, 21:54   #214  |  Link
soneca

With some discs BDtoAVCHD crashes during the process, after extracting the subtitles.

Code:
eac3to v3.24
command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\BDtoAVCHD\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "D:\BLU_RAY\SETE_HOMENS_E_UM_DESTINO" 1) 2: "D:\Temp\SETE HOMENS E UM DESTINO.job_0.mkv" 3: "D:\Temp\SETE HOMENS E UM DESTINO.job_0.ac3" -448 18: "D:\Temp\SETE HOMENS E UM DESTINO.job_0.sup" -log="D:\Temp\SETE HOMENS E UM DESTINO.job_0.eac3to_log.txt"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 1 video track, 13 audio tracks, 31 subtitle tracks, 2:08:06, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 16 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48kHz
   (core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
4: AC3, Portuguese, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz
5: DTS, French, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 768kbps, 48kHz
6: DTS, German, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 768kbps, 48kHz
7: DTS, Italian, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 768kbps, 48kHz
8: DTS, Japanese, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 768kbps, 48kHz
9: AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz
10: DTS, Russian, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 768kbps, 48kHz
11: DTS, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 768kbps, 48kHz
12: AC3, Czech, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz
13: AC3, Thai, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48kHz
14: AC3, Turkish, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48kHz
15: AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48kHz
16: Subtitle (PGS), Japanese
17: Subtitle (PGS), English
18: Subtitle (PGS), Portuguese
19: Subtitle (PGS), Danish
20: Subtitle (PGS), Finnish
21: Subtitle (PGS), French
22: Subtitle (PGS), German
23: Subtitle (PGS), Italian
24: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
25: Subtitle (PGS), Dutch
26: Subtitle (PGS), Norwegian
27: Subtitle (PGS), Russian
28: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
29: Subtitle (PGS), Swedish
30: Subtitle (PGS), Croatian
31: Subtitle (PGS), Czech
32: Subtitle (PGS), Modern Greek
33: Subtitle (PGS), Chinese
34: Subtitle (PGS), Hebrew
35: Subtitle (PGS), Polish
36: Subtitle (PGS), Portuguese
37: Subtitle (PGS), Slovenian
38: Subtitle (PGS), Chinese
39: Subtitle (PGS), Thai
40: Subtitle (PGS), Turkish
41: Subtitle (PGS), French
42: Subtitle (PGS), German
43: Subtitle (PGS), Italian
44: Subtitle (PGS), Japanese
45: Subtitle (PGS), Dutch
46: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
[a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
[v02] Extracting video track number 2...
[a03] Decoding with ArcSoft DTS Decoder...
[s18] Extracting subtitle track number 18...
[a03] Encoding AC3 <448kbps> with libAften...
[v02] Muxing video to Matroska...
[a03] Creating file "D:\Temp\SETE HOMENS E UM DESTINO.job_0.ac3"...
[s18] Creating file "D:\Temp\SETE HOMENS E UM DESTINO.job_0.sup"...
[a03] The original audio track has a constant bit depth of 24 bits.
Added fps value (24 /1.001) to MKV header.
Video track 2 contains 184287 frames.
Subtitle track 18 contains 1311 normal and 3 forced captions.
eac3to processing took 20 minutes, 58 seconds.
Done.
Edit: After a few tries I found that when the "tune" does not change, the process continues smoothly.
I'm trying to encode an animation but when I change the tune mode to none the program crashes after extracting the subtitles.
It seems that this problem occurs only when the tune mode is not selected, ie - none.

Last edited by soneca; 26th June 2011 at 23:22.
Old 1st July 2011, 17:42   #215  |  Link
iSeries

Hi pistacho, is there any chance of adding CRF encoding for blu ray structure output?
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 23:12   #216  |  Link
soneca

Hi Pistacho,
Found this problem in relation to the "tune system"'?
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:26   #217  |  Link
thewonderer

Hi,

Just thought of another feature which would be nice to have.

A option to Force the selected subtitle selected on the encode...
Old 9th July 2011, 10:40   #218  |  Link
pistacho

3D comes here!

Version 1.5.2 (07/09/2011)
  • New: 3D ready. From 3D Blu-Ray (MVC) we can get a 3D SBS AVCHD or MKV (side-by-side).
  • Improved: When resizing PGS subtitles from 1080p to 720p Lanzcos3 filter is used (better quality).
  • Small fixes and general improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi pistacho, is there any chance of adding CRF encoding for blu ray structure output?
CRF encoding can not predict the size of the output and therefore not suitable for use in a BD5/9/25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soneca View Post
Hi Pistacho,
Found this problem in relation to the "tune system"'?
Yea, it was a stupid bug when selecting tune = 'none'. It is fixed in the latest version.

Quote:
Hi,

Just thought of another feature which would be nice to have.

A option to Force the selected subtitle selected on the encode...
It already can do (or maybe I'm understanding something else). In main window select in Target Subtitle "Selected Forced" option.
Old 9th July 2011, 14:17   #219  |  Link
soneca

Thanks Pistacho.
Very good!
Old 10th July 2011, 00:35   #220  |  Link
thewonderer

Quote:
3D comes here!

Version 1.5.2 (07/09/2011)
  • New: 3D ready. From 3D Blu-Ray (MVC) we can get a 3D SBS AVCHD or MKV (side-by-side).
  • Improved: When resizing PGS subtitles from 1080p to 720p Lanzcos3 filter is used (better quality).
  • Small fixes and general improvements.

CRF encoding can not predict the size of the output and therefore not suitable for use in a BD5/9/25.

Yea, it was a stupid bug when selecting tune = 'none'. It is fixed in the latest version.

It already can do (or maybe I'm understanding something else). In main window select in Target Subtitle "Selected Forced" option.
Brilliant! A new release, thank you.

In regards to the forced subtitle, what I meant was that if you select to encode a subtitle into your encode, can a flag be set in that resultant output file which sets the subtitle to Forced. When you watch the movie on your bluray player, it detects the forced subtitle and enables it by default.

Thanks

Tags
avchd, bdtoavchd, blu-ray ripper, m2ts, ps3