Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th February 2007, 20:05   #1  |  Link
ATARI Vampire

WinDVD 8 Device Key Found!

Although this is my first post, I have been actively sitting in the shadows for the last 6-8 weeks reading every Doom9 thread that I could find on HD DVD and Blu-Ray decryption. I have followed the postings of muslix64, Janvitos, and Arnezami, trying my best to recreate their steps to learn even more about the under workings of AACS. I even printed out all 70 pages of the AACS Introduction and Common Cryptographic Elements document, painfully reading through this material.

A few nights ago, something that Arnezami had written about slowing WinDVD 8 down though intensive memory dumps had started me thinking. So, I brought up my favorite Java IDE and begun writing code. Using a combination of VUK Finder (by Jokin), pmdump, psuspened (Sys Internals) and WinHex I was able to get enough data to find the VID, Media Key, and Processing Key by using the "bottom up" approach that Arnezami spoke about.

As soon as I had the processing key in a memory dump I knew that I was close to a Device Key. I then quickly implemented a version of AES-128G(k, d), where k = key and d = the data to be decrypted, however in this case I seeded d with the constant 0x7B103C5DCB08C4E51A27B01799053BD9 + 1, or 0x7B103C5DCB08C4E51A27B01799053BDA (per page 13 of the AACS Common Crypto doc), and ran the entire contents of my memory dump through decryption at 1 byte incremental offsets.

About 35,000 bytes into the file I extracted a 16 byte value that was able, using the constant as the d value, to create the processing key. If my interpretation of the AACS specification is correct, I have found a device key. Here is the device key, along with the memory offset where it can be re-discovered assuming that you dump memory in WinDVD 8 early enough in the runtime process. By the way, psuspened helps tremendously with slowing processes down so that pmdump can accurately dump memory!

[WinDVD 8]

Device Key: AA856A1BA814AB99FFDEBA6AEFBE1C04
Found at memory location: 0x000089EC

Device Key: AA856A1BA814AB99FFDEBA6AEFBE1C04
Found at memory location: 0x00008A20

An interesting thing to note is that the device key is found only a few bytes before the location where Arnezami found the processing key, and in contiguous memory! It is also interesting to note that WinDVD8 keeps the device key in 2 difference memory locations, very close by each other. My guess is that this would be the result of some sort of deep copy, maybe even the result of a function call.

Anyway, this is what information I have been able to pull together with 3-4 hours of free time this week. I'd like the Doom9 decryption forum to validate my findings since I have not had the time to step through any MKB's with this device key yet. Be that as it may, I am pretty sure that I have found a device key. Enjoy!

:-E

Last edited by ATARI Vampire; 25th February 2007 at 02:04.
ATARI Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote