Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th October 2021, 22:42   #1  |  Link
markfilipak

MV interpolation of mixed TV+cinema to 120fps progressive

Transcoding a mix of TV and telecined video is the hardest task. It is the last piece in my task list. I present the issues, my nomenclature, some ffmpeg, and some issues.
I would appreciate your thoughts and some clues to overcoming the issues.

Code:
"fps" means "frames per second", "sps" means "scans per second", "pps" means "pictures per second".
29.9fps[59.9sps]        (read: "29.9 fps of 59.9 sps")                    is interlaced scans (e.g. NTSC).
29.9fps[2-3[24pps]]     (read: "29.9 fps of 2-3 pull-down of 24 pps")     is hard telecined (2-3 pull-down) cinema.
29.9fps[3-2[24pps]]     (read: "29.9 fps of 3-2 pull-down of 24 pps")     is hard telecined (3-2 pull-down) cinema.
29.9fps[3-3-2-2[24pps]] (read: "29.9 fps of 3-3-2-2 pull-down of 24 pps") is hard telecined (3-3-2-2 pull-down) cinema.
29.9fps[2-2-3-3[24pps]] (read: "29.9 fps of 2-2-3-3 pull-down of 24 pps") is hard telecined (2-2-3-3 pull-down) cinema.
'c' denotes combed frame, '-' denotes uncombed frame, time flows left to right.

c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c   ...Scans: 29.9fps[59.9sps].
- - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - -   ...Hard Telecine: 29.9fps[2-3[24pps]].
- - - c - - - - c - - - - c - - - - c - - - - c - - - - c - - - - c - -   ...Hard Telecine: 29.9fps[2-2-3-3[24pps]].
- c c - - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - -   ...Hard Telecine: 29.9fps[3-2[24pps]].
- c - - - - c - - - - c - - - - c - - - - c - - - - c - - - - c - - - -   ...Hard Telecine: 29.9fps[3-3-2-2[24pps]].
- - - - - c c - - - - - c c - - - - - - - - - - - c c - - - - - - - c c   ...Hard Telecine: Wacky pull-down (seen in a few videos, e.g. "PASSION FISH");
          \____________\___(2 combed frames alternate with 5 / 7.. uncombed frames) -- always odd, always 2 combed frames, seemingly random intervals.
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c - - c c - - - c c - - - c c - - -   ...Mixed Scans+Hard Telecine: e.g. 29.9fps[[59.9sps]+2-3[24pps]].
                                       \
                                        A well cut, 'Hard Telecine' segment always begins with an uncombed frame.
                                        A poorly cut, 'Hard Telecine' segment may suffer 1 or 2 combed frames coinciding with scene change.
For 29.9fps[59.9sps] segments:
Code:
  SET   UNWEAVE=settb=expr=1001/30000,setpts=expr=N,separatefields,split[1][2]
  SET    FIELD1=[1]select=eq(mod(n\,2)\,0),minterpolate=fps=120000/1001:mi_mode=mci:scd=fdiff,settb=expr=1/120,setpts=expr=N,split[3][4]
  SET    FIELD2=[2]select=eq(mod(n\,2)\,1),minterpolate=fps=120000/1001:mi_mode=mci:scd=fdiff,settb=expr=1/120,setpts=expr=N[5]
  SET       BOB=[3]select=lt(n\,2)[6]
  SET  AFTERBOB=[5]select=gt(n\,1)[7]
  SET     MERGE=[6][7]tinterlace=mode=merge[8]
  SET NEWFIELD2=%FIELD2%,%BOB%,%AFTERBOB%,%MERGE%
  SET     WEAVE=[4][8]weave[v]
  -filter_complex "%UNWEAVE%,%FIELD1%,%NEWFIELD2%,%WEAVE%"
The 2 fields are separated and independently 4x MV converted to 120fps.
As the 1st field stream passes through unaltered, duplicates of its 1st 2 frames are split off.
The 2nd field stream is delayed by 2 frames and merged with the 2 split off frames from field 1. That process, 1, bobs the 1st 2 frames, and 2, shifts field 2's frames to temporally align them with field 1, thereby making progressive frames out of scan fields with zero cosmetic filtering!
The 2 streams are then woven.

For 29.9fps[2-3[24pps]] segments:
Code:
  -filter_complex "settb=expr=1001/30000,setpts=expr=N,detelecine,minterpolate=fps=120000/1001:mi_mode=mci:scd=fdiff,settb=expr=1/120,setpts=expr=N[v]"
The result is 5x MV interpolation of the detelecined source.

To pull this off, I need a flag, 'combed', so that, after I combine filter graph sections, I know when to switch between them. Cu Selur suggested I try 'tdm.IsCombed' (https://github.com/HomeOfVapourSynth...ynth-TDeintMod) but I think it scans an entire clip and can't flag segments.

And I'd also like to replace 'minterpolate' with pipes to/from VapourSynth's superior MV interpolation: Super(), Analyse(), SmoothFps(), but I don't know whether a pipe in the middle of a filter graph is possible -- I suspect not -- or alternatively, whether ffmpeg can support 2 filter graphs with to/from pipes between them -- I've never tried 2 'filter_complex's in one ffmpeg command).
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote