Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th May 2014, 03:10   #26441  |  Link
Niyawa

I found what was making my madVR go haywire. It seems that... the option in "devices" > your monitor > called "native display bit depth" was the culprit. Since I use a TN monitor I'd always assume 6-bit was the best for it, but the moment I put 8-bit again everything returned to how it was. I can't even see the increase that cyber told me I'd get for using the new path.

It's funny though, that option didn't make any difference in old path, but the new one made it useless for me. I wonder why is that...
Old 20th May 2014, 05:36   #26442  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I can't remember if this was posted before or not but there is a regression with NNEDI3 and the latest AMD drivers. I went back to 13.12 and I'm getting 3-5ms lower rendering time for 720p24 content at the same settings as 14.4. I'll stay at 13.12 until I hear otherwise.
I can confirm this... after rolling back I was able to squeeze out even more neurons and actually notice the increase in PQ. So, I too will be sticking with 13.12 until something better comes along (better Catalyst or better madVR)

QB
Old 20th May 2014, 17:34   #26443  |  Link
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozes View Post
i have 7850...for bluray watching, i habe no performans hit between random dithering, ordered dithering and error diffision...all are about 5ms...
Same here on a 7850.
Old 20th May 2014, 18:59   #26444  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
i have 7850...for bluray watching, i habe no performans hit between random dithering, ordered dithering and error diffision...all are about 5ms...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Same here on a 7850.
The only reason for that would be madVR not using error diffusion at all and silently falling-back to ordered dithering.
Error diffusion uses DirectCompute, available only on DX11. Are you perhaps using Windows XP? Other than that it might be a driver issue. I don't own AMD's GPU, so can't help you here.
Try checking with GPU-Z if your cards support DirectCompute.
By the way, you can have working NNEDI and broken ED, since NNEDI uses OpenCL.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 19:42   #26445  |  Link
mindbomb

atm, does madvr only support 8 bit output? does selecting 6 bit in display properties do anything?
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 19:44   #26446  |  Link
hozes

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
The only reason for that would be madVR not using error diffusion at all and silently falling-back to ordered dithering.
Error diffusion uses DirectCompute, available only on DX11. Are you perhaps using Windows XP? Other than that it might be a driver issue. I don't own AMD's GPU, so can't help you here.
Try checking with GPU-Z if your cards support DirectCompute.
By the way, you can have working NNEDI and broken ED, since NNEDI uses OpenCL.
i have win7 64bit...
in gpu-z directcompute was there with opencl...but renders time didnot differ between order dither, random dither and error diffisuion..
hozes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 20:22   #26447  |  Link
Ceremony

question: why is there no 64bit version of madvr? with it, we could have even larger buffers and overall performance could increase thanks to the larger registers.

I understand that you dont want to maintain both 32bit and 64bit, but with the death of windows xp, is there any reason to release a 32bit version? (talking to all users here)

Most non-ancient hardware should also be capable of 64bit without any issues. Also Vista's and Win7's 32bit keys are also valid for an identical 64bit edition, so even if you bought 32bit (by accident), you can still switch to 64bit on the next install (which I recommend).
There is no reason to still use a 32bit Windows OS (unless you really want to stick with XP).
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 20:29   #26448  |  Link
tp4tissue

Hello Hello..

Once an image is upscaled from 1920 to 2560, How does that work with respect to viewing distance..

the equation for viewing distance has a factor for material resolution..

So, I am wondering how this works once Madvr upscaling is involved. ?

Link to equation here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...tem_limitation
Old 20th May 2014, 20:53   #26449  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
with it, we could have even larger buffers and overall performance could increase thanks to the larger registers.
But do we need larger RAM buffers and higher CPU perfomance?
madVR is GPU-heavy, CPU doesn't really matter there.

Quote:
I understand that you dont want to maintain both 32bit and 64bit, but with the death of windows xp, is there any reason to release a 32bit version? (talking to all users here)
Reclock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
So, I am wondering how this works once Madvr upscaling is involved. ?
Works for pixels, doesn't work for details (video resolution).
E.g. if you will downscale video with a native resolution of your screen to 320x240 and then upscale it back - you'll be able to distinguish it from source video. However you won't be able to distinguish individual pixels of the display.

Last edited by vivan; 20th May 2014 at 20:57.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 21:10   #26450  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
atm, does madvr only support 8 bit output? does selecting 6 bit in display properties do anything?
if you select 6 bit madvr will dither it to 6 bit. the picture it self is still 8 bit but the first 2 bit are not used anymore. this should increase dither quality for 6 bit tn panels because madvr dither should result in better picture quality and the screen shouldn't touch the 8 bit input with the first 2 bits zero.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 21:11   #26451  |  Link
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
It appears I am mistaken. I recall a time where the stats didn't seem to change, for any of the (enabled) dithering options.

However, upon double-checking, this is no longer the case.
Old 20th May 2014, 22:25   #26452  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
if you select 6 bit madvr will dither it to 6 bit. the picture it self is still 8 bit but the first 2 bit are not used anymore. this should increase dither quality for 6 bit tn panels because madvr dither should result in better picture quality and the screen shouldn't touch the 8 bit input with the first 2 bits zero.
thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. Full screen exclusive mode is required for this I imagine, right? cause background apps and desktop would still be 8 bit. And this works with error diffusion as well as static and ordered dithering?

Last edited by mindbomb; 20th May 2014 at 22:30.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 22:29   #26453  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
i have win7 64bit...
in gpu-z directcompute was there with opencl...but renders time didnot differ between order dither, random dither and error diffisuion..
you may want to update your video drivers and/or the directx runtime.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 23:04   #26454  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. Full screen exclusive mode is required for this I imagine, right?
If it works at all then it will also work in windowed mode.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 09:12   #26455  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
question: why is there no 64bit version of madvr? with it, we could have even larger buffers and overall performance could increase thanks to the larger registers.

I understand that you dont want to maintain both 32bit and 64bit, but with the death of windows xp, is there any reason to release a 32bit version? (talking to all users here) Most non-ancient hardware should also be capable of 64bit without any issues. Also Vista's and Win7's 32bit keys are also valid for an identical 64bit edition, so even if you bought 32bit (by accident), you can still switch to 64bit on the next install (which I recommend).
There is no reason to still use a 32bit Windows OS (unless you really want to stick with XP).
i agree, with the death of xp its time to drop the 32bit version and go to 64bit
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 11:52   #26456  |  Link
Ceremony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post

Reclock?
uhm, being more efficient is a great goal, isn't it? and more ram also means more vram.

and the same goes for reclock obviously: the 64bit era is already here!
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 12:12   #26457  |  Link
Soukyuu

I agree the 64-Bit era is here, but you have to keep in mind transitioning from a 32-bit build to a 64-bit build might not be as trivial as saying "ok, build it in 64-Bit".
Old 21st May 2014, 12:19   #26458  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
uhm, being more efficient is a great goal, isn't it?
In perfect world maybe. But in real world +0.1% gain doesn't worth extra work when there're a lot of much better things to do.

Quote:
and more ram also means more vram.
and is it even possible to hit that limit?

Quote:
and the same goes for reclock obviously: the 64bit era is already here!
Good luck finding it's author and forcing him to rewrite it
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 12:42   #26459  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Software video decoders can be significantly faster on 64-bit.

H.264 in LAV Video is around 15% faster in 64-bit, and thats one codec that is well optimized for 32-bit as well.
It gets much more extreme for newer codecs like HEVC/H.265 or VP9, where many of the assembler optimizations are only written for 64-bit (mostly because its a pain to limit yourself to the low register count on 32-bit), and you can easily see a 100% performance difference because of that!

I know madshi doesn't have immediate plans for 64-bit, and while madVR wouldn't directly benefit from it either way, it is certainly not useless in the entire video playback pipeline - not anymore anyway.
DirectShow is all about flexibility, so I hope we get it one day!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 21st May 2014 at 19:18.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 15:26   #26460  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
How do you all manage to push your gpus to the limit running it at near 100% with smooth playback? If my gtx650 gets higher than 78% madvr starts dropping frames like crazy.
I just checked in Afterburner and 720p29.97@1080p with J3AR chroma & 64x NNEDI luma goes all the way up to 92% on my R9 270 with a PCI-E 3.0 Haswell rig, all queues are full(with the 13.12 drivers).

I guess the 128bit memory controller of your 650 doesn't help, it was one of the reasons why I ultimately disregarded the 750Ti....it only gets serious starting with 192 IMHO, 256 being better of course.

BTW, the R9 270(not X) would appear to be a refreshed 7870 with a lower TDP and the TF4 MSI cooler is really as amazingly silent as promised(1K rpm double 10cm fans), I tried to drop them to 800rpm but couldn't hear any whine pitch decrease. This board should definitely fit my needs until faster Maxwell's arise and the crazy summer heat can bring the pain

Last edited by leeperry; 21st May 2014 at 15:48.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling