Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 19th May 2017, 21:23   #1  |  Link
jriker1

Why some codec don't show in certain programs

OK saw nowhere better to put this and the opposite of new, but help would be appreciated.

I have some content I need to encode to WMV for various reasons and utilize the old Microsoft Expressions Encoder to do it. To me the superior way to encode WMV unless someone feels otherwise. Running on Windows 7.

Debate on the above aside, when I install Lagarith it can encode a AVI file encoded with Lagarith to WMV. When I install (right click on inf and install) Expressions Encoder doesn't recognize a file encoded in Huffy. Complains and won't pull it up to be re-encoded. Any suggestions why this is?

Essentially I need to take a file encoded with ffmpeg using some kind of lossless format, and be able to open it into Expressions. Not sure if MagicYUV can be opened in Expression, but that can't be used to encode in ffmpeg from what I can tell. Lagarith I can't encode in ffmpeg. Thoughts? Right now I'm encoding to Huffy AVI, then opening in VDUB and quick encoding to Lagarith. Then opening in Expressions.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR
jriker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 23:01   #2  |  Link
Phanton_13

The problem is near sure a codec framework incompatibility, 64bits codecs can be used in 32bits aplication and viceversa, this also hapen with VFW, directshow and Media Foundation. The solution tends to be to intall the correct version for 32bits or 64 bits of LavFilters and/or ffdshow and manually enable de desired codecs, LavFilters is more modern and udated but if im not wrong dont support VFW while ffdshow have support for VFW.

Last edited by Phanton_13; 19th May 2017 at 23:03.
Phanton_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 23:16   #3  |  Link
clsid

Installing a 32-bit codec using .inf often goes wrong on 64-bit Windows. What happens is that the file end up in the 64-bit system folder and registry key also in wrong place.

This should help:
http://williablog.net/williablog/pos...t-Windows.aspx
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 01:46   #4  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post
I have some content I need to encode to WMV for various reasons and utilize the old Microsoft Expressions Encoder to do it. To me the superior way to encode WMV unless someone feels otherwise. Running on Windows 7.
wvc1enc — CLI application which accepts AVS files as input.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...gb#post2067819

WmNicEnc — a tiny applet which uses the WMV-encoding DLLs from Windows itself.

http://nic.dnsalias.com/wm9enc.html

MainConcept Reference (now TotalCode studio)

Last edited by Midzuki; 20th May 2017 at 01:48. Reason: disambiguation
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 22:07   #5  |  Link
jriker1

Thanks for the replies. Tried installing Huffyuv per the article clsid referenced. Shows in 32-bit VDub but not in Expression Encoder. DLL is not listed in the list when it loads.

For WmNicEnc, does anyone know if it will encode a AVI video that usesHuffyuv codec?

Thanks.

JR
Old 20th May 2017, 23:53   #6  |  Link
poisondeathray

IIRC WmNicEnc will only accept avs script, not AVI directly unless it's uncompressed

Another option would be ut video codec, which has 32/64bit installers (and should be compatible with ms expression encoder, but I haven't tested it directly), and has encode/decode support in ffmpeg
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 00:13   #7  |  Link
jriker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
IIRC WmNicEnc will only accept avs script, not AVI directly unless it's uncompressed

Another option would be ut video codec, which has 32/64bit installers (and should be compatible with ms expression encoder, but I haven't tested it directly), and has encode/decode support in ffmpeg
Cool, I can work with either. Since I have a file in AVI format using Huffyuv I'll try WmNicEnc first. Not sure if using Expressions will give me more encoding options to set but never hurts to try something.

Thanks.

JR

EDIT: I do not see UT in Expressions list after installing but does show in VDub. I'll try compressing something with ffmpeg but no high hopes.

EDIT EDIT: Fricken mother errr. I totally forgot Expression doesn't even show a codec until you try and use it. Once you do the first time then it's always there. Huffy is showing now and I don't think it worked before trying clsid's recommendation for setup. Though if I can get UT Video working guessing that's a better choice since it's still being updated?

Last edited by jriker1; 21st May 2017 at 00:28.
Old 21st May 2017, 02:11   #8  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post

EDIT EDIT: Fricken mother errr. I totally forgot Expression doesn't even show a codec until you try and use it. Once you do the first time then it's always there. Huffy is showing now and I don't think it worked before trying clsid's recommendation for setup. Though if I can get UT Video working guessing that's a better choice since it's still being updated?
It shouldn't really matter what you use if it works

But one reason why you might not want to use huffyuv is the original version didn't support 4:2:0 , only 4:2:2. Assuming source was 4:2:0 (and WMV will be 4:2:0) , technically there is some avoidable quality loss unless you duplicate and decimate U,V samples using nearest neighbor algorithm
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 22:37   #9  |  Link
Ignus2

Also keep in mind some products (Adobe in particular) can have hard coded lists and they'll only show those if installed.