Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th March 2016, 23:28   #36881  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
Hi, I would like to know if anyone else is having problems with the latest version of madvr. It seems that I am the only one reporting black screens with this release. As you can read I have done a lot of tests. I am using latest stable releases of MPC-HC, Lav filters, xysubfilter and Reclock.
I've been having occasional black screens for quite some time (going back through many versions of madVR). This is usually when I start to play, although I've had 2 in the past during playback. I can't say for sure that it is madVR, however. I'm using ZP, LAV, xySub, NO Reclock. I am using NNEDI3 for chroma, I may try to change that and see what happens.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 23:40   #36882  |  Link
jkauff

FWIW, I used to have intermittent black screen problems. The unlikely fix turned out to be returning madVR to default settings with the batch file, then re-entering my settings.

I have no idea why that worked (madshi said it shouldn't), but it did.

Last edited by jkauff; 14th March 2016 at 23:44.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 00:07   #36883  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I've been having occasional black screens for quite some time (going back through many versions of madVR). This is usually when I start to play, although I've had 2 in the past during playback. I can't say for sure that it is madVR, however. I'm using ZP, LAV, xySub, NO Reclock. I am using NNEDI3 for chroma, I may try to change that and see what happens.
I don't have black screens but I have MPC-BE crashes. I tried reverting as far as the latest 0.89 and it doesn't seem to make any difference. No crash with EVR-CP, so it seems to be MadVR related even if it's MPC-BE that crashes. I also use NNEDI3 32 neurons for chroma, mostly playing bluray BD folders.

Usually it only crashes the first time I try to play a movie after a reboot. If I start exactly the same film, not doing anything in between, it works.

So it looks like an initialisation issue or something. Don't have the time to debug in the dark at the moment.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 00:35   #36884  |  Link
fedpul

Thanks for your feedback guys. I was feeling alone :P. I also use NNEDI 32 for Chorma but the tests have shown that it is not related to scaling algorithms. It is more a FSE problem in my case, as it presents different behaviour between 8 and 10 bits.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 13:17   #36885  |  Link
Magik Mark

Same here black screens in FSE from time to time
Old 16th March 2016, 17:52   #36886  |  Link
har3inger

Hmm. I only get black screens if my computer goes into sleep with a video paused. On wake, the video will play sound with a black screen.

It's probably an entirely different cause, because I use "use a separate rendering device", and that runs into problems if my discreet gpu goes into ulps from sleep and is turned back on. However, I mention it on the off chance this information might lead you towards solving your problems.

(@madshi, I'm not asking for a fix for the sleep black screen behavior. The problem very rarely happens and isn't really a bug of madvr anyways)
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 18:30   #36887  |  Link
fedpul

I was trying to use MPC-BE but I got black screen in MPC-BE too. This problem has been introduced in recent versions of madvr, I tracked it to 90.13, didn't test 90.12 yet. But I think it needs to be fixed, beacuse it happens in every movie I play, and others are having troubles too. What I have found is not related to sleep pc or gpu driver trouble, it is in fact a problem in FSE recently introduced which wasn't present before, I will try windowed mode and if that works will try to track the latest version where FSE works. Thanks for your comments.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 19:19   #36888  |  Link
mzso

Hi!

So madVR doesn't have profiles as far as I know.
But is there a method/trick I can use to change settings quickly? I mean the scaling algorithms in particular.

I settled on something that works for me most of the time. But other times it gives me constant frame drops. Such as 60 fps, particularly if image resizing is also involved.

PS:
A "you get constant framedrops fool" alert might come in handy. I didn't realize a video was 60p because of the framedrops. (It was video game footage without motion blur, so less noticeable)
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 20:25   #36889  |  Link
CarlosCaco

i having some micro stuttering when playng 23,976 content
i have i optimus system but nvidia 930m only render the video because the hdmi output from intel hd 5500
the display refresh is 23.97570, its possible to be this 00.00030 diference that causing the stuttering?
the best mode for me is fse d3d9, but i really don īt know, d3d11 with present a frame for every v sync changes my display behavior anda the refresh rate goes down a little
i tried wasapi from reclock and the exclusive mode from mpc-hc internal audio
reclock seens to be better but i still geting some stutering
its possible to be a v sync issue?
should i disable v sync on nvidia cp? because on intel cp donīt have a option to disable v sync, only app controled and driver controled..
itīs possible that the two drivers are perfoming v sync separately? like v sync are performanced two times one time for each driver?
on nvidia cp should i put single display perfomance, multi display perfomance or compability mode?
someone could help-me? i really don īt know what do to solve this... i tried everything, even smooth motion on 60 hz 72 hz 75 hz canīt solve this
thanks
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 21:02   #36890  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Hi!

But is there a method/trick I can use to change settings quickly? I mean the scaling algorithms in particular.

I settled on something that works for me most of the time. But other times it gives me constant frame drops. Such as 60 fps, particularly if image resizing is also involved.

PS:
A "you get constant framedrops fool" alert might come in handy. I didn't realize a video was 60p because of the framedrops. (It was video game footage without motion blur, so less noticeable)
Check the "keyboard shortcuts" section of the control panel. I know you can cycle through profiles but I don't know about scaling algorithms.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 21:04   #36891  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
i having some micro stuttering when playng 23,976 content
i have i optimus system but nvidia 930m only render the video because the hdmi output from intel hd 5500
the display refresh is 23.97570, its possible to be this 00.00030 diference that causing the stuttering?
the best mode for me is fse d3d9, but i really don īt know, d3d11 with present a frame for every v sync changes my display behavior anda the refresh rate goes down a little
i tried wasapi from reclock and the exclusive mode from mpc-hc internal audio
reclock seens to be better but i still geting some stutering
its possible to be a v sync issue?
should i disable v sync on nvidia cp? because on intel cp donīt have a option to disable v sync, only app controled and driver controled..
itīs possible that the two drivers are perfoming v sync separately? like v sync are performanced two times one time for each driver?
on nvidia cp should i put single display perfomance, multi display perfomance or compability mode?
someone could help-me? i really don īt know what do to solve this... i tried everything, even smooth motion on 60 hz 72 hz 75 hz canīt solve this
thanks
Have you tried another renderer to see if the stutter is still present?

And this stutter persists, even when you use smooth motion?
Old 16th March 2016, 21:06   #36892  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

24 > 60 q?

I want to play 24 content at 60, what are the best settings I need turned on to get the smoothest playback please?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 22:28   #36893  |  Link

I believe there is an issue with the way that level adjustments and gamma corrections are being processed.

I have a few Blu-rays here which have badly encoded levels, resulting in a washed-out image.
To be displayed correctly, they need black level and white level adjustments, which I've applied using filename tags.
This works fine for full-screen playback, where I do not use any gamma correction.

However in windowed mode, I tell madVR that my display's gamma is 2.60 and have it set to use a 1.80 power curve - windowed mode is about clarity for me, not accuracy.
When applying this gamma correction, the letterboxing - and the video itself - ends up looking very washed-out again.

What should be happening is that the level adjustments are applied first, so that the letterboxing is made black, and then the gamma adjustment is applied - so it should look something like this instead.
To create that image, I just displayed the level-corrected screenshot in madVR using my typical windowed mode settings.

I thought that something was "off" about the way that the gamma correction behaved for a while now, but these Blu-rays with very badly encoded levels are what prompted me to investigate exactly what was happening.

Last edited by 6233638; 16th March 2016 at 22:31.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 22:33   #36894  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Check the "keyboard shortcuts" section of the control panel. I know you can cycle through profiles but I don't know about scaling algorithms.
What do you mean by profile in this case?

(I probably should have used the word "preset")
Keyboard shortcuts would probably work well if I could sot the same shortcut for multiple actions. (Although it complicates things that anti-ringing only has a toggle)

I could also make a .reg file if the settings weren't stored in a binary format in a single registry key.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 23:59   #36895  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
You can configure profiles for different types of content.
See here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...17#post1271417
Click "scaling algorithms" then click "create profile group" and so on.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 02:14   #36896  |  Link
baii

If fse give you black screen with sound, typically try
1. Lower presented frame in fse
2. Lower the GPU queue

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 02:35   #36897  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
What do you mean by profile in this case?

(I probably should have used the word "preset")
Keyboard shortcuts would probably work well if I could sot the same shortcut for multiple actions. (Although it complicates things that anti-ringing only has a toggle)

I could also make a .reg file if the settings weren't stored in a binary format in a single registry key.
This post has some starter profiles and instructions on how to implement them in the madVR control panel.
Old 17th March 2016, 03:19   #36898  |  Link
Damie

Color formats

Greetings madshi,

thank you for your awesome work on madVR.

I have a source video with P010 (YUV 4:2:0 10bit) 16-235 HEVC 5.1 4K 59.94fps and I'm using a GTX 960 & Sony X850C 4K TV.
Sony reports the panel has "10bit driving of an 8bit panel (8bit + Hi FRC)" and at least it passed the test @ http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172128.

I can either select Ycbcr420 with 12bit color or Ycbcr422 with 10&12bit color in the Nvidia control panel @ 59/60Hz. (Ycbcr444 & RGB modes at over 30Hz@4K have 8bit color only.)

Therefore, should I use 4:2:0 12bit or 4:2:2 10bit when I watch the video in the FSE mode?

Also, should I tick "disable GPU gamma ramps" @ Devices - Calibration and disable dithering @ Rendering - Dithering?

Thank you!

Last edited by Damie; 17th March 2016 at 03:25.
Damie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 03:31   #36899  |  Link
huhn

i would use 4:4:4 8 bit no question.

never disable dithering.

"disable GPU gamma ramps"
this is most likely doing nothing.
you need an to load an calibration file first too make use of this option.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 04:12   #36900  |  Link
Damie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i would use 4:4:4 8 bit no question.
Thanks, is this because MadVR's dithering is superior to TV's FRC (frame rate control)? So 10bit should be only used with a native 10bit panel?

Or even then, conversion from 4:2:0 to RGB/4:4:4 yields additional benefits?

By the way, the source video has also the BT.2020 color space, but I guess this works fine in 8bit mode too? (Gotta manually enable BT.2020 mode from TV settings, Auto detection is not working).
Damie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling