Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 13th August 2010, 02:25   #2381  |  Link
crasus

Dear neuron2,

May I ask if using a GPU with VP4 and 96 cuda cores (say some GT240) or more would bring improvement when using DG NV tools as a HD decoder for x264, over an older GPU with VP2 and some ~30 CUDA cores? If so, what kind of improvement would it be?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by crasus; 13th August 2010 at 02:48.
crasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 04:32   #2382  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasus View Post
Dear neuron2,

May I ask if using a GPU with VP4 and 96 cuda cores (say some GT240) or more would bring improvement when using DG NV tools as a HD decoder for x264, over an older GPU with VP2 and some ~30 CUDA cores? If so, what kind of improvement would it be?

Thank you for your time.
Take a look in the benchmarking thread and you will see the improvement that the newer VP engines make.

The GT240's are the sweet spot for price/performance for NVTools. Not that it really makes that much difference for HD re-encoding because the encoding is the slow part and usually much slower than the decoding using an earlier VP engine.

But for HD>SD encodes the newer VP engines are much better but unfortunately they can still hold things back if you do Mpeg4 ASP encodes.
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 05:50   #2383  |  Link
Clumpco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDwarf1 View Post
The GT240's are the sweet spot for price/performance for NVTools. Not that it really makes that much difference for HD re-encoding because the encoding is the slow part and usually much slower than the decoding using an earlier VP engine.
Indeed.
Moving from a VP2 to a VP4 has given me a very slight improvement on faster X264 encodes during the first pass (58->60 fps). No difference on the slower (more CPU intensive) second pass.

However I imagine that if I swapped my trusty Q6600 for a much faster rig the difference would be greater.
Clumpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 06:54   #2384  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Definitely. If you had a dual 6 core Xeon system, having a VP4 card would probably help

Regardless, if you have a VP4 card, adding more CUDA cores doesn't add any measurable performance difference. Remember, the decode isn't really happening on the GPU / CUDA cores. It's happening on an ASIC that's on the card (or on the GPU itself, not sure how integrated it is).

Derek
Old 13th August 2010, 12:48   #2385  |  Link
Rat Killer

Starting DGIndexNV.exe yields the following error message:

ERROR: cuModuleLoad C:\Program Files\DGDecNV\NV12ToRGB23_sm_20.cubin failed (200)

I am using an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M graphis processor in my laptop and the driver version is the latest (4.00.6163) offered by Dell.

Searching this tread suggests its a driver issue, is there a different video driver I should be using to be compatible with DGIndexNV or is there some other suggested solution?

Thanks
Rat Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 13:16   #2386  |  Link

A one minute search at nvidia.com reveals:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/noteboo...ql-driver.html
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 13:30   #2387  |  Link
Rat Killer

Thanks. As Dell and nVidia number the drivers differently was not sure if that driver was newer or supported things differently or not. I'll give it a try. Appreciate the help.
Rat Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 00:45   #2388  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Remember, the decode isn't really happening on the GPU / CUDA cores. It's happening on an ASIC that's on the card (or on the GPU itself, not sure how integrated it is).
Now that explains everything. Thanks. I was wondering all the time why a really slow 8400 with only 8 cores outperforms much more expensive cards.
LeXXuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 15:06   #2389  |  Link
krosswindz

Thanks neuron2 for this amazing tool. I just got myself a license for this and tried it. I must say its just one awesome tool. Just one suggestion to neuron2 for this.

I read the release notes which requires one to disable screen saver/standby when using it. I was wondering if it would be possible to disable the screen saver if it is enabled from the tool. Possibly when the DLL gets loaded like during the initialization stage to disable the screen saver if enabled. During cleanup stage when the DLL gets unloaded after the encode to re-enable screen saver if it was enabled.
krosswindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 16:41   #2390  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosswindz View Post
I read the release notes which requires one to disable screen saver/standby when using it.
Actually, the release notes state the following:
Quote:
Activation of a screensaver or standby mode may interfere with proper operation of the NV tools. They should be disabled during use of the NV tools.
Italics are mine, but the point is "YMMV". I'm sure neuron2 will weigh-in on whether he cares to disable Standby in the GUI version, but for my part, although I don't use a screensaver, I do use Standby mode on my Win7 PC and therefore when using the cli version I include some .cmd lines like this:
Code:
@echo First prevent from going into Standby!

@echo ON
powercfg -change -standby-timeout-ac 0
powercfg -change -monitor-timeout-ac 1

do lotsa stuff, including

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DGIndexNV\DGIndexNV" -i D:\video\videoIN.%VIDEOTYPE% -o D:\video\videoIN.dgi -e

@echo Finished!
@echo Return to Standby mode!

powercfg -change -standby-timeout-ac 30
powercfg -change -monitor-timeout-ac 10

Last edited by laserfan; 17th August 2010 at 16:44.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 17:16   #2391  |  Link
krosswindz

I do use screen saver but I dont use standby mode in my WinXP PC. When I am using the tool I am currently disabling screen saver and turn off my monitor when the encode is going on. Wouldnt it matter that when the encode is going along one would have to do the same, which is my I thought it would be nice if the tool would do it by itself on load and unload time. Again at the end of the day its neuron2's decision on this.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:23   #2392  |  Link
GearX

Quote:
I do use screen saver but I dont use standby mode in my WinXP PC. When I am using the tool I am currently disabling screen saver and turn off my monitor when the encode is going on. Wouldnt it matter that when the encode is going along one would have to do the same, which is my I thought it would be nice if the tool would do it by itself on load and unload time. Again at the end of the day its neuron2's decision on this.
You could use the 'blank' screensaver, or set Windows to shut off the monitor after a few minutes.
GearX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 18:59   #2393  |  Link

I think that you can run fine with a screensaver in the default non-D3D mode. Have you tried it?
Old 17th August 2010, 19:52   #2394  |  Link
krosswindz

I havent tried running it with screen saver on. I will play around and see if anything is affected. not that it matters that I have to manually turn off the screen saver.
Old 18th August 2010, 01:15   #2395  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Is it only the indexing that can be affected by power saving sleep/standby? If so then I don't really see a problem because it doesn't really take that long and I'm usually using the PC at the time anyway.

But while encoding I put my monitor into standby using Wizmo and I haven't noticed any problems. It would be a serious problem if power saving couldn't be used while encoding because it's extremely rare that I use the power switch on my monitor because previous experience has shown that is when my monitor is most likely to fail. It's now out of warranty so avoiding a failure is important.

If it's just the screensaver that's the problem then it isn't a problem for me because I never use screensavers, I prefer standby. The readme does state Standby and not just screensaver which is a big problem. Why would something like monitor power saving affect NV Tools?

Last edited by RedDwarf1; 18th August 2010 at 01:25.
Old 18th August 2010, 01:22   #2396  |  Link

I don't really know. I added that statement to cover my ***. I doubt that monitor power down or a screensaver could actually be an issue.

Anything that makes the video driver go dead is a problem. For example, Remote Desktop.
Old 18th August 2010, 01:26   #2397  |  Link
krosswindz

I have Linux PC with 8600GT on it, I was wondering if DGNV tools would work if I ran Windows XP in a VM.
Old 18th August 2010, 01:31   #2398  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Ok thank you. I will keep my eye on it in future and might do a small test to verify it works without problems when the screen is in standby.
Old 18th August 2010, 01:36   #2399  |  Link

Quote:
I have Linux PC with 8600GT on it, I was wondering if DGNV tools would work if I ran Windows XP in a VM.
I don't think so.
Old 18th August 2010, 02:10   #2400  |  Link
krosswindz

^ Thanks for your reply, I was hoping this would have been possible using VMwares VMDirectPath.