Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd January 2008, 15:58   #2861  |  Link
clsid

Would it not be better to create a whole new standalone filter (like VSFilter) instead adding lots of 'workarounds' to ffdshow?
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:13   #2862  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Quote:
Would it not be better to create a whole new standalone filter (like VSFilter) instead adding lots of 'workarounds' to ffdshow?
Wouldn't be easy to fix and improve VSFilter?
_xxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:38   #2863  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by _xxl View Post
Wouldn't be easy to fix and improve VSFilter?
As its already done with ffdshow and mpc
Px is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:58   #2864  |  Link
clsid

That would even be better.
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:49   #2865  |  Link
Delerue

I want to point that VSFilter (aka DirectVobSub) is coming in a DLL file. But if you rename it to an OCX file and register ('regsvr32 file.ocx'), you'll get a great performance increase. I discovered this accidentally when I was comparing the performance of MPC vs VLC.
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:48   #2866  |  Link
clsid

Your performance measuring methods must be flawed.
Old 3rd January 2008, 22:22   #2867  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Your performance measuring methods must be flawed.
I doubt it. Everything began when I discovered that DirectVobSub uses more CPU than the MPC internal subtitle, because both share the same subtitle engine. So I downloaded the old VobSub (I stop using it because of compatibility problems), and to my surprise it did a better job, I mean, used less CPU. But, hey, VobSub also uses the same basic source of the DirectVobSub. The only difference between them is the file type: Ocx (VobSub) vs Dll (DirectVobSub). So I renamed the DirectVobSub Dll to an Ocx file and registered it. Voilà! The performance increased, getting equal to the VobSub.

I tested with a x264 1080p video before multi-thread patch was implemented in FFDShow. In my C2D @ 3 GHz there's a scene where the CPU usage freezes in 50% (so full load). After my 'hack', the CPU usage fell almost 5%. If you doubt, try for yourself.

Last edited by Delerue; 3rd January 2008 at 22:46.
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:24   #2868  |  Link
clsid

I have tested it and as expected it makes absolutely no difference at all what the file extension is.
Old 4th January 2008, 00:42   #2869  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid
I have tested it and as expected it makes absolutely no difference at all what the file extension is
I can also confirm that sanity prevails and the extension makes no difference.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 05:54   #2870  |  Link
Delerue

Hmmm... I tried again and, well, you're right. I can see my mistake. First, when I said 'ocx' I actually mean 'ax', of course. Second, in fact there's a difference in performance betweeen VobSub and DirectVobSub (as you can see below), but they use different extensions, and that's probably why I made the mistake about the performance vs extension.

My Windows is in portuguese, so "último" means 'last', "médio" means 'average', "mínimo" means 'mininum' and "máximo" means 'maximum/peak'.

Wtihout subtitle:

With VobSub 2.23:

With DirectVobSub 2.7:

I tested for only 1:19 seconds, but is enough to see a 3% between VobSub and DirectVobSub in the average, and almost 10% in the maximum/peak.

Sorry for my mistake, and keep going.
Old 6th January 2008, 12:38   #2871  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

guys, does fffdshow work with EVR on Vista ?
or does it freeze randomly like it does on XP ?

I might just install Vista if that can make ffdshow work..because EVR looks a lot better than Haali's Renderer.

Thanks,
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 15:17   #2872  |  Link
clsid

Install .NET 3.5 and you have EVR on XP.
Old 6th January 2008, 15:45   #2873  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

hehehe, I do have EVR on XP but it's randomly freezing with ffdshow.

hence my question "does ffdshow work fine with EVR on Vista ? without freezing that is"
Old 6th January 2008, 15:58   #2874  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Don't post 100 times the same issue with KMplayer + EVR on XP. Maybe I should blacklist KMplayer.
_xxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 16:19   #2875  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

I'm asking a simple question, whether ffdshow and EVR don't freeze on Vista.

a friend of mine running MPC HC + EVR + ffdshow on XP also encounters random freezes.......if he disables ffdshow, no more freezes.

maybe you should also blacklist mplayerc.exe all at once ?

I guess the XP EVR+ffdshow bug will never be fixed, I understand that....but what about Vista EVR + ffdshow ? does it "work" w/o freezes ?

I'm asking end users here, no need to be jumpy XXL

Last edited by leeperry; 6th January 2008 at 16:31.
Old 6th January 2008, 16:44   #2876  |  Link
sheppaul

Or blacklist leepery

Why are you using evr on xp? It's not one of official renderers in xp: It's not guaranteed to work without hassles.
sheppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 16:52   #2877  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

yeah that's what I thought...hence I just wanna know if ffdshow works fine on Vista with EVR so I don't install Vista for nothing
Old 6th January 2008, 17:55   #2878  |  Link
multiblitz

Funny discussion on EVR.

BUT the real great news is that haruhiko_yamagata started the re-work of ffdshow to play back HD-DVD / Blu-Ray in 24p with audio and video in sync, see:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...roup_id=173941

THIS IS PHANTASTIC NEWS !!!

PowerDVD is no longer able to play back from HArd-Disk; PDVD anyhow has only a reasonable picture quality on a real big screen if you use it with EVR under Vista (under XP it enables only overlay), but than you have other troubles like no re-clock anymore, no cutsom-timings with 8600GT, etcetc.

So a high-quality playback solution with post-processing through ffdshow with video and audio in sync is exactly what we need these days.

I wil start testing the latest version this evening, looking really forward to it.
multiblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 18:13   #2879  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiblitz View Post
PowerDVD is no longer able to play back from HArd-Disk
well

Quote:
I took a look at the previous 3319f patch, and found that the change in playback behaviour (i.e. not being able to play movies from you harddrive) was caused by changes in one single file, the \Navfilter\CLBDROMNav.ax file. The solution was simply to take the "CLBDROMNav.ax" file from the 3304 Build and overwrite the new one, and voilá, playback works as before

Sadly the new 3516 patch however, makes changes in PowerDVD.exe to totally grey out the "ok" box when wanting to play from the harddrive. You can change it back to normal without reinstalling the old version, by replacing the following of the 3516 files, by these 3304 files;

Navfilter\CLBDROMNav.ax
PowerDVD.exe
*.imp (10 files)

Now you should have some of the benefits/improvements of the new patch, while maintaing your ability to play from the harddrive.
Old 6th January 2008, 18:28   #2880  |  Link
multiblitz

I read that and all the ISO-ideas to out-smarten PDVD, but as Blue-Ray seems to win with the announcement of Warner yesterday, BD+ and PDVD got a new dimension of importance and in the latest version you can't even playback certain BD+ titles anymore when you have them through AnyDVD on your media-server as PDVD only plys them back, if it realizes the full-blown Copy-Protection is untouched....so....WE REALLY need an alternative way to playback HD-DVD, /Blu-Ray...now more than ever. FFDSHOW would be a wonderful solution.
multiblitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl