Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th February 2018, 04:37   #49081  |  Link
takenori

hi, i want to ask, for a samsung monitor (32chg70) madvr reports the bitdepth of the monitor is 8bit, and the windows 10 reports it a 10bit.
is there any difference of which bitdepth should i choose (either via nvidia control panel or from madvrs bitdepth of which should i choose, auto or 8 (as madvr) or 10 or higher (as windows).
and for playing hdr content, is it okay to use 8bit or do i need to force them to 10bit?
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 05:06   #49082  |  Link
Asmodian

Set madVR to whatever you set Windows to, do check with test patterns the difference between 8 and 10-bit paths on your display. Sometimes 8-bit looks better (when the 10-bit path isn't good for some reason).
gradient-perceptual-colored-v2.1_24fps.mkv
gradient-perceptual-v2.1_24fps.mkv
Old 20th February 2018, 08:32   #49083  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

(for the anecdote, I have only one PAL DVD in my collection that I can't watch in progressive: The Abyss Extended Edition, R2 belgian. I don't know what the hell happened when they mastered that thing Edit: actually I know, only the extended sequences are interlaced, and they're true interlaced because I get jaggies)
AFAIK, The Abyss is most likely the old 4:3 letterboxed release from long ago, probably made from the TV version, relict of olden days...I'm eagerly waiting for the bluray that's allegedly in preparation...

Sadly I can't check my PAL DVDs for progressive flag, the DVD drive in the PC has failed, really no incentive to get a new one...wander if there is some other software that can detect and report flag changes throughout the video?

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 08:38.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 10:01   #49084  |  Link
SEX
system

Wrong colors

Hello everyone! Is it normal that the image in the madVR has the wrong colors? My monitor is calibrated by colorimeter to default values: D65, Gamma 2.2 I tried to adjust the color in the madVR according to various instructions, but this does not help

SEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 10:07   #49085  |  Link
mytbyte

@SEX: we really need the screencapture of your MadVR OSD...generally, you can try enabling "this display is already calibrated" in calibraiton section under your display's model
Old 20th February 2018, 10:11   #49086  |  Link
huhn

you are playing back well... jpgs so you have to be a little bit more precise in what you are doing there.
they are not even remotely looking the same. so so they are altered.
so these are not videos so are the correct color informations even delivered to madVR?

Quote:
My monitor is calibrated by colorimeter to default values: D65, Gamma 2.2
and how did you do that?
it's just a white point and gamma so there are a lot of missing steps in term of "calibrations" and is this in ICC file is the monitor calibrated to let's say Bt709, sRGB or adobe RGB.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 10:29   #49087  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
@SEX: we really need the screencapture of your MadVR OSD...generally, you can try enabling "this display is already calibrated" in calibraiton section under your display's model

Old 20th February 2018, 10:32   #49088  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you are playing back well... jpgs so you have to be a little bit more precise in what you are doing there.
they are not even remotely looking the same. so so they are altered.
so these are not videos so are the correct color informations even delivered to madVR?

and how did you do that?
it's just a white point and gamma so there are a lot of missing steps in term of "calibrations" and is this in ICC file is the monitor calibrated to let's say Bt709, sRGB or adobe RGB.
sRGB IEC1966-2.1
Old 20th February 2018, 10:38   #49089  |  Link
mytbyte

@ sex: it very confusing...do you have ICC profile embedded in jpeg? If you do, I don't think MadVR can work with it...please let us know what Photoshop reports in the Doc tab/Document Profile (under the picture)...also do the colors change when you press Ctrl-Y in PS?

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 10:41.
Old 20th February 2018, 11:03   #49090  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
@ sex: it very confusing...do you have ICC profile embedded in jpeg? If you do, I don't think MadVR can work with it...please let us know what Photoshop reports in the Doc tab/Document Profile (under the picture)...also do the colors change when you press Ctrl-Y in PS?
Untagged RGB (8bpc). Yes, they change

Here is the file. On your pc does it look normal?
Attached Images

Old 20th February 2018, 11:24   #49091  |  Link
mytbyte

OK. scrap the ctrl-Y, it's too dependent on many if-then-elses..please upload the jpeg someplace else (upload to wetransfer and give us the link)...normal is more blue or more purple?
Old 20th February 2018, 11:34   #49092  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
OK. scrap the ctrl-Y, it's too dependent on many if-then-elses..please upload the jpeg someplace else (upload to wetransfer and give us the link)...normal is more blue or more purple?
https://s10.postimg.org/npiqmsc3d/644083.jpg

Normal is More Blue. madVR gives an unprocessed image in the screenshot, unlike a PS
Old 20th February 2018, 11:49   #49093  |  Link
mytbyte

Can't be sure that uploading to an image service doesn't change the file, please use wetransfer...for this one I can say it looks the same everywhere (MPC-HC, PS, Chrome...) and it's more blue so it looks like in MPC-BE on your side...it's some PS problem...what do you have set under View/Proof Setup?

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 11:52.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:12   #49094  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Can't be sure that uploading to an image service doesn't change the file, please use wetransfer...for this one I can say it looks the same everywhere (MPC-HC, PS, Chrome...) and it's more blue so it looks like in MPC-BE on your side...it's some PS problem...what do you have set under View/Proof Setup?
https://we.tl/F9gmzFM57h

Set Working CMYK. GIMP gives the same colors. Corrective: correct color is More Purple. If I use the "Use Display ICC Color Gamut Correction" in the PotPlayer, then the colors match in the PotPlayer, but only for Enhanced Video Renderer, does not work for madVR

Last edited by SEX; 20th February 2018 at 12:21.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:21   #49095  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

madVR does not use the ICC, it uses its own 3DLUTs for calibration. Either your calibration tool allows exporting a 3DLUT, or you'll need create a 3DLUT from the ICC (I forgot if there was a simple tool to do that).
Old 20th February 2018, 13:09   #49096  |  Link
mytbyte

@SEX: ... I think your ICC calibration may be off...but it is all very weird since the jpeg is untagged...you can use ICC in MPC-BE if you use EVR custom presenter...
Old 20th February 2018, 13:28   #49097  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
@SEX: ... I think your ICC calibration may be off...but it is all very weird since the jpeg is untagged...you can use ICC in MPC-BE if you use EVR custom presenter...
Windows Photo Viewer also correctly displays colors, as well as the PS and the GIMP, I do not think that the matter is in the settings of these programs. For you, Windows Photo Viewer also display colors like the madVR (without the 3DLUT?)
Old 20th February 2018, 13:50   #49098  |  Link
mytbyte

Please pres ctrl-J while playing in madvr and post OSD here, we need to see what matrix and primaries are detected...

why do you first say that Windows Photoviewer displays correctly and at the end you say it displays like MadVR which is incorrect (to you)?

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 13:54.
Old 20th February 2018, 14:07   #49099  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Please pres ctrl-J while playing in madvr and post OSD here, we need to see what matrix and primaries are detected...

why do you first say that Windows Photoviewer displays correctly and at the end you say it displays like MadVR which is incorrect (to you)?
https://s18.postimg.org/7qj86r089/64...0_18.54.54.png

Correct is More Purple. madVR always been More Blue. I'm interested in how the Windows Photo Viewer displays colors in comparison with the madVR on your PC
Old 20th February 2018, 14:21   #49100  |  Link
mytbyte

Your MadVR OSD info is same as mine, in Photo Viewer it is the same as everywhere else = more blue.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling