Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th April 2018, 16:18   #50081  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
sorry I misread the issue you are having.
it's ok
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 16:22   #50082  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDVader View Post
I have a JVC DLA-RS400 projector which up-converts to 4k and can do HDR, albeit, badly (the HDR that is).

However, my existing HTPC setup is not ideal for 4k due to HDMI cable length and aging HD7950 graphics card.

So, is it possible to down convert but retain the wide color gammet content? If so, how should I setup the MadVR HDR settings? I'm running win7 to a 1080p Denon receiver (which prevents passing 4k to the projector.
You can calibrate your display for a wide color gamut in SDR mode (e.g. BT.2020), but the brightness will still be lacking. And your AVR may not passthrough the gamut. You would have to test. You would be referring to the HDR -> SDR conversion feature of madVR, which will passthrough the original gamut if you set this display is already calibrated to DCI-P3 or BT.2020 and set HDR to convert to SDR with pixel shader math.

However, before you test, you will need a graphics card with a 10-bit HEVC decoder, as your current card will not be able to downscale 4K -> 1080p, nor will it be able to decode it.

Last edited by Warner306; 5th April 2018 at 16:58.
Warner306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 16:24   #50083  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
Clean gpu driver installation after DDU, without changing a thing in madvr 1.2h expected frame drop, but i see drops occure more often when check osd.

But now any of the custom mode wont work for me, only EDID one, the rest give me blank screen, or is getting rejected by gpu.
You can only use the optimized EDID mode, or that is the only one you can set to measure the timings? If that is all you can accept to measure the timings, then there is no problem. What about the optimized modes? Can you select any of them? And are you certain you are still dropping frames with an expected frame drop every 1.2 hours? You shouldn't need a custom mode and madVR shouldn't be that inaccurate. You should do more testing.

I wouldn't sacrifice frame rate matching for a few dropped frames that are hardly noticeable.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:01   #50084  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You can only use the optimized EDID mode, or that is the only one you can set to measure the timings? If that is all you can accept to measure the timings, then there is no problem. What about the optimized modes? Can you select any of them? And are you certain you are still dropping frames with an expected frame drop every 1.2 hours? You shouldn't need a custom mode and madVR shouldn't be that inaccurate. You should do more testing.

I wouldn't sacrifice frame rate matching for a few dropped frames that are hardly noticeable.
I couldn't use any other for measure timing then EDID/CTA so after playing a movie and checking measured timings I can only use optimized EDID mode, can't choose any other after measured timings even when it shows 90% compatibility, from CVT to optimized pixel clock none of them can be accepted.

CVT v1-v2 blank screen till prob 20sec is gone to accept it, every pixel clock end up with disturbed image on TV, even when quickly disconnect hdmi cable and connect back i can see time to accept this mode i click yes then getting error about gpu rejecting this mode.

At the moment i have in custom mode " current timings " currently used by the GPU..... current timings,mesured timings and EDID/CTA all 3 shows same numbers and 1 frame drop every 1.07hours see screnshot -> https://imgur.com/a/OzZ5c

I won't sacrifice it either but i just want to find why is like that, i even choose in nvidia control panel to max performance from adaptive mode, it did more time to expected frame drop but yet still after playing movie for some time and checking osd i see noted drops there
Old 5th April 2018, 17:04   #50085  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
I won't sacrifice it either but i just want to find why is like that, i even choose in nvidia control panel to max performance from adaptive mode, it did more time to expected frame drop but yet still after playing movie for some time and checking osd i see noted drops there
That sucks. I am sorry I encouraged you to reinstall your drivers, as this fixed my issue.

Your new stock clock looks good and there doesn't appear to be a need for a custom mode. I have no explanation as to why you are dropping frames with an expected frame drop every hour or so.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:11   #50086  |  Link
huhn

are you using a 3d LUT?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 17:46   #50087  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
are you using a 3d LUT?
where i can check it ? but i doubt that i do if u mean external 3d lut file

i got tick displaye is calibrated, disable gpu ramps, bt.709, pure power curve 2.20

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 5th April 2018 at 18:20.
Old 5th April 2018, 19:36   #50088  |  Link
mparade

Has madVR been improved considering the type of 3D input recently? I have FTAB sources to send to madVR with "--frame-packing 4" option signalled in the stream itself or can a simple naming rule be working with madVR to treat such a 3D format properly? Or still only AVC&MVC-3D is working?

I converted my BD3Ds to FTAB format while saving 50-60% storage space using some "transparent" x264 encoding settings so it would be great to be able to watch them using the astonishing capabilitites of madVR.

Any help would be appreciated.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 19:39   #50089  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its quite possible that your TV doesn't like non-BT2020 HDR, since that would likely never exist in the wild.
I think so because all bt2020 HDR sources are being displayed properly.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 19:56   #50090  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Has madVR been improved considering the type of 3D input recently? I have FTAB sources to send to madVR with "--frame-packing 4" option signalled in the stream itself or can a simple naming rule be working with madVR to treat such a 3D format properly? Or still only AVC&MVC-3D is working?
H.264 MVC is the only supported 3D format.
Old 5th April 2018, 22:35   #50091  |  Link
brazen1

I think butchering a rip so that it can semi play on hardware and other player software that wasn't designed to handle 3D frame packed MVC in the name of saving disc space and then asking that madVR pick up the slack is futile.
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 00:48   #50092  |  Link
Polopretress

Hello.
MadVr est compatible with 32 and 64 bits configuration.
But what is the root to use 32 or 64 bits ? The player or , for example, Lav filters ?
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 00:52   #50093  |  Link
Asmodian

Everything. 32 bit and 64 bit do not mix. 64 bit player, LAV, and madVR or 32 bit player, LAV, and madVR.
Old 6th April 2018, 12:04   #50094  |  Link
Polopretress

Yes, i thought it was the case and not possible to run a mixed configuration but it seems to be possible (it works) to run player 64 bits with lav32 bits.
As madVR is 32/64 bits, i wonder which is the mode (32 or 64 bits) selected by madVR in this case.

I made this stupid test to use a 64bits player on a 32 bits htpc because i have noticed that for some HEVC 10 bits movies, the CPU decoder was more speedy and did not reproduce some drops with a "queue decoder" at 1 in the CTRL J.
With full 32 bits htpc , on some video 4k hevc 10 bits, even if the CPU is still at 40%, "queue decoder" at 1 can be observed while it is not the case when i replace the player only by 64 bits version (this is true with potplayer an dmpc-be)

I try to find an explanation of the root cause.(why drop with "queu decoder" at 1 while the CPU is still at 40%)
An then secondary, in such mixed configuration , what is the selection of madVR?

It is reproducible with I7 4770 / 4790 / Ryzen 5 and hardware decoder set to "none" in lav video with the following movie for example :
http://4kmedia.org/lg-new-york-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

Last edited by Polopretress; 6th April 2018 at 12:16.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 12:16   #50095  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
Yes, i thought it was the case and not possible to run a mixed configuration but it seems to be possible (it works) to run player 64 bits with lav32 bits.
No it is not possible. If you truely are you using a 64-bit player, then you must also have installed 64-bit LAV.
Old 6th April 2018, 12:24   #50096  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
I made this stupid test to use a 64bits player on a 32 bits htpc because i have noticed that for some HEVC 10 bits movies, the CPU decoder was more speedy
[...]
I try to find an explanation of the root cause.(why drop with "queu decoder" at 1 while the CPU is still at 40%)
An then secondary, in such mixed configuration , what is the selection of madVR?
[...]
It is reproducible with I7 4770 / 4790 / Ryzen 5 and hardware decoder set to "none" in lav video with the following movie for example :
http://4kmedia.org/lg-new-york-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/
Yes, that's normal. The 64 bit HEVC software decoder in LAV is much more optimized than the 32 bit variant. For me it's about 75% speedup.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 15:14   #50097  |  Link
lvqcl

I wonder what "a 64bits player on a 32 bits htpc" means.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 15:39   #50098  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Running x86-64 (AMD64) Windows applications requires both a CPU with x86-64 instruction set and a 64-bit code variant of a Windows operating system (optional and common as private user OS since Vista, more or less mandatory since 8).

Thanks to the extended compatibility in the x86-64 architecture developed by AMD (in contrast to the Itanium IA-64 architecture by intel which is incompatible to x86 / IA-32), 32-bit x86 processes still run in a SysWoW64 (Windows on Windows-64) environment, but all DLL's used by a 32-bit process must also be programmed for 32-bit x86 architecture, and all DLL's used by a 64-bit process must be programmed for 64-bit x86-64 architecture. Windows will check the DLL header and refuse to load libraries not matching the bitness of the calling process.

To be able to load the 64-bit variant of madVR (and LAV Filters), you have to run a 64-bit player application on a 64-bit Windows.

64-bit code can already be faster simply because CPU registers in 64-bit mode have a) twice the width and b) twice the number, compared to the 32-bit mode. Every instruction which can avoid RAM access by using data still stored in another CPU register is a little improvement.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 6th April 2018 at 15:43.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:12   #50099  |  Link
tyrindor

Anyone have any idea why I get audio drops when "MPC Audio Renderer" is selected in MPC-BE during DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks? It does not happen if I bitstream using LAV instead, but LAV doesn't offer exclusive WASAPI or the ability to uncheck "Use System Channel Layout" which is needed for me to get proper Dolby Surround emulation on 2.0 tracks.

I have noticed that the debug overlay says I am getting a repeat frame every 4-7 minutes. That's about how often the audio drops for a split second. I've tried exclusive fullscreen on/off, and 2160p23 is set in MadVR.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 16:15   #50100  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@tyrindor: Why do you believe that madVR is the reason? It appears to me that the most it does is reporting issues, and rather indirectly (as a video renderer, it does not process audio at all).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling