Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 3rd January 2013, 15:59   #12001  |  Link
tebasuna51

No matter if is aac, mp3 or wav. Your receiver can restore the surround and center channels if have the DPL II decoder inside.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:37   #12002  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Dolby ProLogic is an analog technology. It analyzes phase directions and delays in signals as electrical voltage fluctuations, not as bits and bytes.

There is no technical relation between Dolby ProLogic (analog surround sound mixing) and Dolby Digital (digital audio compression), except for the same company which developed them.

A third different, unrelated technology developed by the Dolby Labs are noise reduction techniques for audio on magnetical tapes.

And a fourth, even more unrelated remark: Thomas Dolby made a song about Science! But his stage name was only inspired by the noise reduction techniques, he was not a member of Dolby Labs...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 3rd January 2013 at 16:50.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:18   #12003  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by get8p View Post
• Proper ac3 decoding. Whilst a freeware prog like azid can properly decode ac3, it's a real shame such powerful instrument as eac3to uses nero/libav for that, because both decoders has defects.
Are those libav problems reported to the devs?
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:22   #12004  |  Link
paradoxical

The decoder author responded in the thread. The problem is that the results in that thread are based on the libav decoder as it was more than a year and a half ago. Which is why madshi asked if those results were even still relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The test you're linking to is 1.5 years old and the guy reponsible for the libav AC3 decoder has seen and commented on the test results those 1.5 years ago, too, so I would say a retest would be needed to make sure those results are still valid today. And if they are, a bug report should be created for libav/ffmpeg, so that the problem is fixed.

Old 3rd January 2013, 18:57   #12005  |  Link
bilditup1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
We can't support downloaded (and fake) files.
Right, didn't mean to offend anyone or feel entitled
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:05   #12006  |  Link
phate89

Quote:
No matter if is aac, mp3 or wav. Your receiver can restore the surround and center channels if have the DPL II decoder inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Dolby ProLogic is an analog technology. It analyzes phase directions and delays in signals as electrical voltage fluctuations, not as bits and bytes.

There is no technical relation between Dolby ProLogic (analog surround sound mixing) and Dolby Digital (digital audio compression), except for the same company which developed them.

A third different, unrelated technology developed by the Dolby Labs are noise reduction techniques for audio on magnetical tapes.

And a fourth, even more unrelated remark: Thomas Dolby made a song about Science! But his stage name was only inspired by the noise reduction techniques, he was not a member of Dolby Labs...
Ok i finally understood. Thanks for the help
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:02   #12007  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

thanks for the update!
Old 4th January 2013, 09:55   #12008  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Picking up on that once more - I don't have a surround setup (and probably never will), just a plain stereo system. In this case I should always use "-downStereo", right?
Also, if I downmix DTS tracks, should I use the "phaseshift" option or does the downmix algorithm take care of that? How can I even determine if the back channels have a phase shift?
Old 4th January 2013, 12:17   #12009  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Picking up on that once more - I don't have a surround setup (and probably never will), just a plain stereo system. In this case I should always use "-downStereo", right?
Yes.
Quote:
Also, if I downmix DTS tracks, should I use the "phaseshift" option or does the downmix algorithm take care of that? How can I even determine if the back channels have a phase shift?
This is a old question.

A correct 5.1, no matter if is AC3 or DTS, must have surround channels already "phaseshifted" over same info in front channels, by soft or when are recorded with microphones at different places, if you do a new "phaseshift" you can finish with 180º than convert the mathematical "+", in mix functions, in a "-" and cancel many info.

Like you don't know how the 5.1 was generated my recommendation is don't use "phaseshift", most the times is the correct way. And only try "phaseshift" when the previous mix sounds strange.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:24   #12010  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Yes.

This is a old question.

A correct 5.1, no matter if is AC3 or DTS, must have surround channels already "phaseshifted" over same info in front channels, by soft or when are recorded with microphones at different places, if you do a new "phaseshift" you can finish with 180º than convert the mathematical "+", in mix functions, in a "-" and cancel many info.

Like you don't know how the 5.1 was generated my recommendation is don't use "phaseshift", most the times is the correct way. And only try "phaseshift" when the previous mix sounds strange.
OK, thanks!
Old 4th January 2013, 13:32   #12011  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
... the azid.dll should still be available from many BeSweet related sources.
Yes, but there's no matching header anywhere to be found, and the dll exports a bunch of APIs without any names or descriptions. I don't feel like reverse engineering the dll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Is that still accurate or is libavcodec on par now?
Argh, I changed the first page of this thread, but didn't update the same description in the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keyz View Post
Curious, why the change from Nero to libav as the preferred DD decoder?
Because there were some problems with the Nero decoder. Mostly, disabling DRC didn't work for all tracks.

Quote:
Errors that libavcodec spits out break the progress bar
Doesn't happen for me!! Did you maybe replace the libav/ffmpeg dlls with a different version? Can anybody reproduce this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilditup1 View Post
This still doesn't appear to work with 5.0 DTS files.
Quote:
is't true eac3to 3.25 don't downmix 5.0 files (tested DTS, AC3 and WAV).
Yes, a stupid mistake. I added all the code to make the downmixing work for all possible channel configurations, but then forgot to remove some code which disables downmixing for less than 6 channels. I'll release a new build, but I'll wait a couple of days, in case some other bugs show up. So guys, do testing *now*, because the next eac3to build will probably have to do for a few months again.

Quote:
• avi, mp4, mov, mpg, flv demuxing(maybe even muxing, that would be fantastic). Basically, avi/mp4 support is most important feature I think eac3to is lacking, along with
Yeah, that would be nice, but it would be a lot of work, so it won't come anytime soon.

Quote:
• Proper ac3 decoding. Whilst a freeware prog like azid can properly decode ac3, it's a real shame such powerful instrument as eac3to uses nero/libav for that, because both decoders has defects.
There's no header available for the azid.dll. I think the best solution would be to first double check whether the libav decoder still suffers from the same problem today (that test you mention is 1.5 years old after all), and if it does, post a bug report to the libav devs.

Quote:
• and also, downmix to mono and ac3/dts dialnorm applying - minor, but still useful features.
What would you need dialnorm for? I believe it's a fundamentally broken concept.
Old 4th January 2013, 14:32   #12012  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Doesn't happen for me!! Did you maybe replace the libav/ffmpeg dlls with a different version? Can anybody reproduce this problem?
If I extracted the zip to the same folder as previous instances of eac3to, would the latest version of libavcodec be used (avcodec-54.dll) or would old ones be used if they were present (such as avcodec.dll)?

tebasuna51 had a similar result but he used -progressNumbers or whatever the command is. Strange how mine shows the same thing as ffmpeg "[truehd @ 00000000]" whereas his shows "[libav]".

I'll see what happens when I clear out the eac3to folder..

Last edited by Snowknight26; 4th January 2013 at 14:37.
Old 4th January 2013, 14:38   #12013  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I used the ones included in the zip. tebasuna51 had a similar result but he used -progressNumbers or whatever the command is. Strange how mine shows the same thing as ffmpeg "[truehd @ 00000000]" whereas his shows "[libav]".
tebasuna51's results are fundamentally different. "[libav]" means eac3to got the log message from libav. "[truehd @ ...]" means ffmpeg/libav bypassed eac3to and wrote the log directly to the command line window. Which ffmpeg/libav should not do because eac3to told it to forward all log messages to eac3to instead of writing them to the command line window. So the logging system is broken for you, but not for tebasuna51, nor for me.
Old 4th January 2013, 14:43   #12014  |  Link
Snowknight26

Well, I'm not sure what to say but having gone through the thread I see a few people have different results.

For example:
'[libav]': http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=11866
'[truehd @ 00000000]': http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=11883

Edit:
Just tried a corrupt file and eac3to only showed '[libav]' so I guess it was using older dlls that were present in the folder. Case closed.

Last edited by Snowknight26; 4th January 2013 at 14:49.
Old 4th January 2013, 16:14   #12015  |  Link
nickintheforest

Quote:
Yes, but there's no matching header anywhere to be found, and the dll exports a bunch of APIs without any names or descriptions. I don't feel like reverse engineering the dll.
Ok, azid hasn't source code. But liba52 has. liba52 in group "A" too.
Old 4th January 2013, 16:19   #12016  |  Link
paradoxical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickintheforest View Post
Ok, azid hasn't source code. But liba52 has.
The source code isn't needed or the issue. The issue is the required header to actually call into the DLL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickintheforest View Post
liba52 in group "A" too.
Yes, based on a test that is 1.5 years out of date. You and get8p seem to gloss over the part where madshi has repeatedly stated that you should be checking that the issue is even still relevant today since the decoder has had changes made to it since that test. Then, if the issue still exists, report them to libav so they can be fixed. This would be the best solution.

Last edited by paradoxical; 4th January 2013 at 16:34.

Old 4th January 2013, 18:20   #12017  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

liba52 is GPL, not LGPL, so I can't use it.
Old 4th January 2013, 18:25   #12018  |  Link
mrr19121970

Perhaps there is an issue with the new version?

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=361367&postcount=2976

Quote:
Used eac3to 3.25 to successfully process Brave and Finding Nemo with ClownBD. However, the playback of Brave contains audio drops (3 in the first 5 minutes) like in Total Recall (2012). I have not checked Finding Nemo yet.
Old 4th January 2013, 18:33   #12019  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Not sure what is meant with "contains audio drops". I've personally tested Brave and had no problems with playback whatsoever.
Old 4th January 2013, 19:29   #12020  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

according to http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=23921 and http://web.archive.org/web/200202052...rg/sources.htm and http://web.archive.org/web/200204141...rg/sources.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200202052...-dll-1.7.1.zip
http://web.archive.org/web/200204141...id-dll-1.8.zip

have sources to api call dll

but.... don't download

EDIT: http://web-beta.archive.org/web/2009...v1.5b23DLL.zip

is possible use azid trought beesweet dll? (the zip contains headers) (i don't know if beesweet.dll uses azid.dll)

Last edited by sl1pkn07; 4th January 2013 at 19:39.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to