Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th October 2017, 12:19   #1801  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
That I won't deny, but there's zero evidence so far it has been cracked completely or they wouldn't be limited to 'certain disc versions only'.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk
I'm not sure these are coming from people using that software, but that they have been done by a group. I notice that the Russia people who have been releasing a variety of 4k material over the last few years have vanished - perhaps they've gone 'commercial' or just been shut down and this is the source of the images.
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 08:59   #1802  |  Link
drmih

With the flood gates seemingly open, and a capability in DVDFab, can I raise this again? Keeping the audio untouched and fitting them on a bd-50 would be great.
Old 10th November 2017, 14:16   #1803  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
With the flood gates seemingly open, and a capability in DVDFab, can I raise this again? Keeping the audio untouched and fitting them on a bd-50 would be great.
You can do that now.
Old 10th November 2017, 22:44   #1804  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You can do that now.
Is there a trick I'm missing as when you open a source it doesn't show the tracks?
Old 10th November 2017, 23:17   #1805  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
You can do that now.
I think he is referring to 4K UHD discs
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 17:39   #1806  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
If you're talking about reencoding UHD to make it fit -- than I can only say "It's not as simple as you think." But I am working on it. If, though, you are asking for the ability to remove audio tracks to make a UHD structure fit on a BD-50 (where possible) then that would not be that hard to do -- but I'd rather implement a full capability than something imperfect. What, for example, would you do with the video portion itself is bigger than a BD-50 can hold?

Last edited by jdobbs; 11th November 2017 at 17:46.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 20:35   #1807  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
If you're talking about reencoding UHD to make it fit -- than I can only say "It's not as simple as you think." But I am working on it. If, though, you are asking for the ability to remove audio tracks to make a UHD structure fit on a BD-50 (where possible) then that would not be that hard to do -- but I'd rather implement a full capability than something imperfect. What, for example, would you do with the video portion itself is bigger than a BD-50 can hold?
I'm want to keep the audio (in fact I definitely want it untouched) - I was in fact saying 'do the video, leave the audio' alone
Old 11th November 2017, 22:12   #1808  |  Link
DoctorM

I feel like 4k is more sales gimmick than upgrade. Most films transferred don't have 4k worth of detail to scan and most people don't sit an arms length from their TV to make out the detail when it does exist.

My feeling is that the ability to resize 4k video to 1080p while preserving 10bit color and HDR would probably be optimal. It would make re-encoding a bit faster, provide a disc space savings and preserve the real benefits of UHD films.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 22:49   #1809  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I feel like 4k is more sales gimmick than upgrade. Most films transferred don't have 4k worth of detail to scan and most people don't sit an arms length from their TV to make out the detail when it does exist.

My feeling is that the ability to resize 4k video to 1080p while preserving 10bit color and HDR would probably be optimal. It would make re-encoding a bit faster, provide a disc space savings and preserve the real benefits of UHD films.
Yep... I pretty much feel about 4k like JD does about lossless audio...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 13:42   #1810  |  Link
geheim

Converting MKV's to working UHD file structure without reencoding would be a great freature
geheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 15:48   #1811  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

Probably so. Most reports say it is indistinguishable from 1080p are normal viewing distance. Oddly enough, though, I remember people saying the same about SD->HD, and I can see a big difference there. And what with screens getting bigger and bigger... it may be a good thing.

UHD is also highly popular, and is the standard for most newer screens. So I feel like not supporting it is looking backward instead of forward.

A bigger question to me is how long optical discs will continue with the transition to streaming. But it's probably good for a few years.
Old 12th November 2017, 15:51   #1812  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geheim View Post
Converting MKV's to working UHD file structure without reencoding would be a great freature
That'll certainly be supported if and when I get it finished.
Old 7th December 2017, 00:18   #1813  |  Link
Sharc

3D .mkv import feature request

Currently BD-RB can import 3D SBS .mkv files.
Would it be possible to add an import filter for 3D mkv with format profile: "Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1", MultiView_Layout: "Both Eyes laced in one block"? (I think it's frame-packing type 13 and 14).
The current workaround for such files is to remux them manually with tsmuxer to a 3D blu-ray folder structure or to .iso. No big deal but it could possibly be automated in BD-RB.

Last edited by Sharc; 7th December 2017 at 10:22.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 15:51   #1814  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Currently BD-RB can import 3D SBS .mkv files.
Would it be possible to add an import filter for 3D mkv with format profile: "Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1", MultiView_Layout: "Both Eyes laced in one block"? (I think it's frame-packing type 13 and 14).
The current workaround for such files is to remux them manually with tsmuxer to a 3D blu-ray folder structure or to .iso. No big deal but it could possibly be automated in BD-RB.
I'll look at it and add it to the "to-do" list. Right now, though, my priority is implementing UHD-BD support, so it might be a while.
Old 27th December 2017, 15:05   #1815  |  Link
Cowboys6190

Thanks for working on the uhd-bd capability. I do agree that this is the future and that discs will still be around for a while as streaming cannot compare to the quality of both video and audio at this point.

Does anyone know if you can place a 4k (HEVC codec), 10 bit video on to a 50gb disc and play it in a normal blu-ray player? Will it play the 4k resolution and the 10bit (HDR) color? (as long as video and audio tracks fit without encoding)

Last edited by Cowboys6190; 27th December 2017 at 15:14.
Cowboys6190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2017, 16:54   #1816  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys6190 View Post
Thanks for working on the uhd-bd capability. I do agree that this is the future and that discs will still be around for a while as streaming cannot compare to the quality of both video and audio at this point.

Does anyone know if you can place a 4k (HEVC codec), 10 bit video on to a 50gb disc and play it in a normal blu-ray player? Will it play the 4k resolution and the 10bit (HDR) color? (as long as video and audio tracks fit without encoding)
No. It will not work. A normal blu-ray player doesn't support HEVC, 4k, 10 bit video, or HDR. But... you can, however, buy a UHD-BD player and it will connect it to and play back UHD sources on an non-4k monitor (it will downscale to 1080p). Since almost every new monitor supports 4k, though, that's not saying much. I guess you have to be poor like me to still be using a standard HD monitor.

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th December 2017 at 17:07.
Old 27th December 2017, 21:25   #1817  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
..... I guess you have to be poor like me to still be using a standard hd monitor.
+1
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 02:55   #1818  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdobbs

..... I guess you have to be poor like me to still be using a standard hd monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
+1
^ Yep...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:17   #1819  |  Link
A.Fenderson

I've searched and experimented and everything currently points to "no," but I thought I'd ask:

I know proper UHD-BD support is in the works, but apart from that, is there any current method of importing 4K/UHD videos to reauthor as (non-UHD, aka "merely HD") BD-compliant output? I have a bunch of 3840x2160, 8-bit, 29.97fps video from my camcorder that I'd like to burn to BD for my parents.

Actually, the same camcorder records in 1080p59.94, and I can't seem to import any of those files either, so same question for "1080p60" material.

I tried putting resize scripts in the script pop-up box, but BD-RB is aborting during import with "ERROR: Incompatible stream (3840x2160) detected. Aborting." in the case of UHD files.

For HRF progressive HD I get "ERROR: Converting MP4 container. Aborted." in the case of 1080p59.94 files. I know these videos would have to be either artificially interlaced or every other frame thrown out, but I don't know how to do that from within BD-RB, if that's possible.

Thanks.
A.Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:20   #1820  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fenderson View Post
I've searched and experimented and everything currently points to "no," but I thought I'd ask:

I know proper UHD-BD support is in the works, but apart from that, is there any current method of importing 4K/UHD videos to reauthor as (non-UHD, aka "merely HD") BD-compliant output? I have a bunch of 3840x2160, 8-bit, 29.97fps video from my camcorder that I'd like to burn to BD for my parents.

Actually, the same camcorder records in 1080p59.94, and I can't seem to import any of those files either, so same question for "1080p60" material.

I tried putting resize scripts in the script pop-up box, but BD-RB is aborting during import with "ERROR: Incompatible stream (3840x2160) detected. Aborting." in the case of UHD files.

For HRF progressive HD I get "ERROR: Converting MP4 container. Aborted." in the case of 1080p59.94 files. I know these videos would have to be either artificially interlaced or every other frame thrown out, but I don't know how to do that from within BD-RB, if that's possible.

Thanks.
Give it a week...

The 1080p59.94 files wouldn't have to be interlaced... they should be supported (although I haven't added that to the IMPORT function yet).

The 1080p29.97 files would have to be either doubled or have frames removed.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd January 2018 at 16:23.