Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 19th October 2012, 22:55   #1  |  Link
Lyris

Lifespan of BD-RE Dual Layer media? Are they really this fragile?

I've been through about 3-4 BD-RE 50gb discs now and all of them have died in some way or another.

The Sony branded discs (which I believe were identified as MEI) have both stopped working fully, they can be burned maybe 30% full before the burn fails.

Another Panasonic branded disc (which is actually from Philips, IIRC) seemed to do better but now it refuses to play in set-top players, too. Also, during its life, the number of usable sectors shrunk to the point that I wasn't able to burn my authoring project onto it.

Does anyone else have experiences? Are they really this fragile? I haven't been abusing the discs or anything, although naturally it just isn't possible to keep them entirely spotless.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:37   #2  |  Link
rik1138

Yeah, dual layer (and even single layer really) have a limited lifespan, and if you re-burn them a lot, it's surprisingly short. I've gone through hundreds of them since the invention of the format, and I can tell you that the MEI ones suck (our MEIs were Panasonic branded). I've had them fail after a 3rd or 4th full burn (many times, mind you, going through spindles of these things). (Granted, I do have one or two that have lasted several years and over 15 burns...)

But, regardless of the brand, their death rate is still kind of high with repeated re-burning. Usually, for me, when they die it seems to be at the layer break. I can use them as 25GB BD-REs for quite a while after that before they fail completely...

From personal experience, TDK seem to be the most robust...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:11   #3  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

I have no such problem at all with Verbatim.. Have reburnt them many many times.. The only RE disc I have had problem with is a LG branded disc (that came with my first burner). That stopped working after just a couple of burns. Since then I have only used Verbatim and everyone still works.
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:25   #4  |  Link
burfadel

Have you updated the firmware of your burner? This can often help a lot with burning issues!
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote