Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 16th October 2010, 17:33   #1  |  Link
akdanie

Problem after adding first play with PgcEdit

After looking through the forum at previous threads I have not been able to figure this out on my own so I'm hoping that maybe I've overlooked the obvious. I should add that I am a newbie to PgcEdit and find a lot of the terminology used here over my head.
I authored an hour long movie in Premiere Elements 3 with a main menu, a chapter menu and 8 chapters in title one. Then I added a first play intro with PgcEdit which became title 2. I was hoping that this intro would only play once upon insertion. What happens is that when I'm watching title 1 (the main movie) and I'm in chapter 8 (the last chapter) if I hit the next chapter button on the dvd players remote, it takes me back to the intro (title2). Before I added the first play, if I hit the next chapter button while I was watching the last chapter nothing would happen, which is what I want.
Here's the catch. I've tried 3 different dvd players and they all react the same way,taking me back to title 2, but if I watch the movie with PowerDVD on my computer it works fine, and hitting the next chapter button when I'm in the last chapter has no effect. The button is dead, which is what I want. I'm hoping this is an easy fix or I will probably leave it the way it is. Unfortunately I can't add a first play clip when I author in Premiere Elements. Any help you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
akdanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 00:40   #2  |  Link
M_Knox
Custom user

I noticed this strange behavior - when I burnt my DVD on DVD+RW media, my standalone player acted in a similar way you described. When I burnt this very same DVD on a DVD+R (non-rewritable) media, all was OK (i.e. the player fully respected the navigation). I did not care to inspect it further (whether this was about booktype setting or anything else), though.
Old 17th October 2010, 02:28   #3  |  Link
akdanie

The media I used was a DVD-R. If I had a DVD+R here I would definitely try burning one of those. Thanks for the response.
Old 17th October 2010, 09:52   #4  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I'm not sure what you mean with "nothing would happen". If you want to just stop the DVD (and therefore display your player logo after the last chapter of the main movie), try to simply add the command "Exit" in the post-commands area of the movie PGC. That should be sufficient.

If your player doesn't execute the Exit command and continue to skip to the next title when you hit Next Chapter, then you will have to add a new dummy chapter: double-click the PGC of the main movie in the left pane to open the PGC Editor. Click the "Create New Cell" button. Tick the option "Create a new blank VOB cell". Leave the other options unchanged. Click "Create Cell". The DVD will be saved automatically.
Now, hitting Next Chapter when the last chapter of the main movie is playing will have the effect of stopping the DVD.

I highly recommend burning on a DVD+R or +RW anyway. The -R/-RW technology is largely inferior, especially for dual-layer DVDs.
The fact that the behaviour of the player is different with a RW is strange. I have never noticed that. Perhaps the player assumes that the DVD has been created by a standalone recorder, and it tries to play all titles sequentially? Anyway, afaik, that's not in the DVD-Video standard.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 17:19   #5  |  Link
akdanie

Actually if I'm watching the last chapter and I hit the NEXT chapter button I would like the movie to just continue playing as if I never hit the button and not stop or skip to anywhere. I will go out and buy some +R media today. Thanks.
Old 17th October 2010, 17:32   #6  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can try the first method (add the Exit command) anyway. It doesn't hurt.
But IMO you will not be able to do exactly what you want (except if the +R trick works). Anyway, it's your player fault, and probably not an authoring problem.
Old 17th October 2010, 18:02   #7  |  Link
akdanie

I thought maybe it was the players fault since it works exactly as I want when I watch it with PowerDVD. I will try adding the Exit command and also burning to +R media. Thanks again.
Old 18th October 2010, 01:05   #8  |  Link
akdanie

Well, I bought some +R discs and burned one of them. Acts the same as the -R disc. The Exit cmd is really not what I'm trying to do so I guess it's a case of "You can't get there from here", at least not with my players. It was worth a shot. I will definitely keep my eye on this forum. So much to learn.
Old 18th October 2010, 09:48   #9  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Something you can try: swap title numbers 1 and 2. (Title -> Remap Title Numbers). If the main movie is the last title in the DVD, your player will not have a next title to jump to.
And if that doesn't work, you can also try to swap the titlesets (DVD -> Remap Titlesets).
Old 19th October 2010, 01:39   #10  |  Link
akdanie

Success! Your first suggestion: swap title numbers 1 and 2. (Title -> Remap Title Numbers), did the trick. I really appreciate your continued attempts at figuring this out for me. You rock!
Old 21st October 2010, 08:14   #11  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Knox View Post
I noticed this strange behavior - when I burnt my DVD on DVD+RW media, my standalone player acted in a similar way you described. When I burnt this very same DVD on a DVD+R (non-rewritable) media, all was OK (i.e. the player fully respected the navigation). I did not care to inspect it further (whether this was about booktype setting or anything else), though.
Do you wanna say that the same structure would behave differently when burned on a DVD-R vs. DVD+RW?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first play, intro, next chapter, pgcedit